Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts
Personally, I hate that little sight glass. My theory is that it was designed by the same engineer who hid the oil filter behind the front exhaust pipe. Too easy to get a false reading standing on your head while keeping the bike level. A mirror definitely makes it easier, but give me a dipstick any day.

Northernrider, I used to hate that sight glass also but then I bought an extendable inspection mirror and it actually makes checking oil a breeze just grab it out of saddle bag sit on bike and look at oil level in mirror. No bending down or squatting which is a big issue for me and no messing with dipstick either. I guess you could say I have grown to like it.

If you buy the New Venture STVC there is a little man in the trunk that comes out and checks your oil for you, then he climbs back in the trunk and pulls the lid shut.

The site glass is as simple as can be. It has to be where it is, because thats where the oil level is.

I mounted a small mirror to the floorboard so I just look down while on the bike to see where the oil level is.
Can even check it while riding. Usually at stops , above idle the oil splashes around and goes away from the window.

Reactions: KCW
Chrome boots maybe?

Got this Vstar 650 it has some big problems[emoji20]
I adjusted the valves to see if it would go away but no luck
hey i just had to fix this problem with mine and no-one could tell me what it was but its the bearing thats on your piston arm to the crank shaft Just two little moon shaped peices of metal ridiculous i know but if it sounds like a balpin hammer slapping steel when you get up in the rpms then thats what it is just fixed that on mine hope this helps

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.