Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new motorcycle is a 2007 1700 Road Star Midnight. I'm only getting 27 mpg city. Bike has a Hyper air system on it and I have read that it will lower my mpg. I have the dealer maintenance manual. I have the original air box as well.
I have two problems. There is a hose connection on the carb just behind the air box. The manual shows this hose running up and forward (carb to soleniod valve) I don't have this. The parts catalog shows it as just a short elbow and looks like it should connect to the air box.
The second is a vaccum line that connects to the intake tube between the cyls where the carb mounts. I can't find where the other end should plug into.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Might I suggest taking the bike to a dealer. Just have a mechanic look at it.
He can tell you if everything looks right. Our dealers in Oregon don't charge
For this service. My 2009 Road Star Silverado consistantly gets brtween
46 and 49 mpg. You should at least get in the high 30s.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Preferably a dealer that you trust :) I can't imagine a bike using that much gas without fouling the plugs :confused:

·
Registered
394 Posts
The piece out of hte carb and up to the air box is for fuel overflow. Any rubber hose should work, when I rebuilt my top end I replaced mine as it was cracked with regular hose cut from autozone.

Do you have low power? Is your fuel pump working? Anything that signals an issue or problem with the bike?

27mpg city is low, for normal use you'll be over heating your motor spending that much time sitting still. Mixed I get 45-50...

·
Registered
34 Posts
at 50 -60 mph back road riding my 05 gets 48-50 mpg. Interstate speeds of 70 - 75, I drop to 44-46. I have to run really hard to drop into mid to upper 30's! Really hard!!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts