Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
its only been 3 weeks since i last rode my 04 vstar 1100 and now when i went to start it up, it started up right away , let off the choke and it idled normal like always for about a minute then poof, it died... tried to start it again and nothing, the only way it would start is if i cranked it and gave it throttle, but then it would die as soon as i stopped giving it throttle.... what could have happened"?:confused:

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
ok first off if the starter motor is turning the engine over when you push the button then it's not the starter.
Just repeating what others have stressed here over & over but do not give the bike throttle while cranking. Opening the throttle advances the timing, which can result in the engine kicking back against the starter and damaging the starter.

Did you allow it enough time to warm up before closing the choke completely? That would be my guess. You closed the choke too soon then for whatever reason it just didn't want to start. Mine will do the same thing sometimes. If it doesn't start right off or starts then cuts off, I usually have to spin it a bit to finally get it running.
I'm sure others with more knowledge will add something here for you that may be more help.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok first off if the starter motor is turning the engine over when you push the button then it's not the starter.
Just repeating what others have stressed here over & over but do not give the bike throttle while cranking. Opening the throttle advances the timing, which can result in the engine kicking back against the starter and damaging the starter.

Did you allow it enough time to warm up before closing the choke completely? That would be my guess. You closed the choke too soon then for whatever reason it just didn't want to start. Mine will do the same thing sometimes. If it doesn't start right off or starts then cuts off, I usually have to spin it a bit to finally get it running.
I'm sure others with more knowledge will add something here for you that may be more help.

my bad, my head was all over the place when i wrote the thread, i meant to say fuel pump not starter... sorry....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts