Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Guys!

I am so excited:D I just got my first street bike:) Have a license from 10 years ago, but never owned my own Bike. My wife is NOT HAPPY at all. I surprised her. We have a 3 1/2 year old and she is worried about me.:rolleyes:

Anyway, I am just going to ride out in the country and in the neighborhood.

I got a SMOKING Deal, at least I think I did:confused: I got a 2009 VStar950 (the one without the bags etc.), BUT, He purchased it NEW on April of 2011

He also bought a $1,200 Extended Warranty that goes until 2016. Here is the BEST Part, the Bike had 740 miles on it! Mint!!!!

It was a Doctor who had two Ducati’s and didn't like it. He did add a detachable Sissy Bar and Passenger Seat. It is Black and the best part about it is, I got it for $4,700!:eek:

A 2 year old bike with 700 miles and an extended warranty for $4,700. I am so happy, it looks brand new!

Anyway, I am excited to be on here and get advice from you guys. I look forward to posting with you guys and now need to learn how to ride better. I'm OK now, but just not a lot of road time.

Nice to meet you all!

The Bandit........................

Here are pics:

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts
Welcome Bandit!

Sounds like a sweet deal to me - stick it to the doctors!

If only you'd posted a pic, you would have been entered to win the monthly prize drawing. Maybe if you hurry, the pic police won't notice and you'll still qualify.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Added Pic before you replied. You are Fast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Welcome to the forum Bandit. Nice bike and what a sweet deal you got. Don't worry to much about the wife, she'll come around. Mine came around about 2 years after I got the bike :D. Have you considered taking a MSF course? This would certainly help ease your wifes worries and get you some really good pointers on riding safe. Take it slow at first and get some mileage under your belt and enjoy.

Ride safe and keep it shiny side up.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Welcome to the Crazy train.....

Well you sounds like you did the whole "its easier to ask for forgiveness than permission"
Yes have young kids is really hard when it comes to other people thoughts on motorcycle. I get alot of people tell me how Dangerous it is. I normally just tell them its a good thing we live here and they have the freedom of choice not to ride, and I have the freedom to not listen to what your saying.

Glad your excited about riding.
So what is the riding weather in Texas ?

·
Administrator
13,705 Posts

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Welcome and congradulations!

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, I have considered taking a MSF course. I live near Dallas, TX and I think they have them at the Texas Motor Speedway Parking Lot. I have to check on them. Is there a website for the course and is it standardized across the nation, or do I just look for a local one?

I can jump on a bike and ride no problem, BUT, as I said I need more time in the saddle and I am scared to ride on a busy freeway, so for now, plan to stay on lesss crazy roads.

I never countersteered when I rode a bike ever (Never heard of it), so that is something that is basic that I never knew. Sure there is more stuff I never knew too.

Thanks Guys. I WISHED the guy tricked out the bike with Saddle Bags, Exhaust, More Chrome, etc., BUT I got a Garage Queen so I am happy.

I have 15 days from date of sale to transfer His Extended Warranty to me.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
So jealous of your deal that it might be tough to be welcoming!! But welcome anyways. +1 on taking an MSF course - since you already have your license, you might consider taking the experienced rider course where you can take the course on your own bike. I think you would still get a lot out of the basic course - but you usually take those on their bikes which tend to be 125/250s and will feel quite a bit different from a cruiser.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks and I KNOW I found a GEM of a Deal. I almost bought it because I didn't want anyone else to get my GREAT DEAL. :D

When I saw it, he drove it and met me half way, it Looked Brand New! I Knew I wanted it right away and only test drove it (first time I ever rode a VStar) a total test ride of 1.5 miles.

I said I don't want to offer you too low and get you mad, and waited a minute, (la da da da Da) then offered $4,500:p, he looked puzzled:eek:, then I said OK I have $4,700 cash and that's all I have.

He paused about 3 seconds, and said, OK that sounds good.
Of course I had $300 more in my wallet in case things got out of hand. I would have paid $5,200 for this bike.

I had HIM follow me and drive it to my house. He met my wife and (he had his scrubs on with his name etc on them) so I trusted him.

Then he says, oh ya I bought an extended warranty through 2016. He gave me original receipt when he bought the bike new and the line item for the EW was $1,200. And, it's transferable to me.

Here are pictures I took of the Bike. the Doc is in the Yellow Jacket. He offered to sell it to me $25, but when I went to zip it the Zipper was 4" from being able to zip. LOL I am 6' and 195, but he was pretty small. Oh well......

The Bandit..............................

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
omg, cracks me up that he wears a full face, a hiviz jacket and then rides in scrubs and sneakers...lmao.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I have ZERO gear. I need Gear ASAP, what the hell do I buy? I know 1st thing I need is a Helmet. I was thinking that I LIKED his Yellow Neon jacket. in his defense, he just got off work and met me. I never planned on getting something like that, but it does stand out. Is that not a cool thing to ride with???

Any suggestions for good riding foot wear to buy? I am in Texas so I could use some boots I'm sure. NOW, I would likely wear New Balance Shoes as I don't have any riding boots. What are good shoes/boots to buy for riding? Are there certain riding boots? Also, it is about to be summer in Texas, so do you always wear jeans when you ride in the heat? For safety? Anyone wear shorts, or is that not smart???

I don't want to look like a Dip S#$%^, so I need some advice. So Full Face is NOT a good Helmet to get? Is Open face the way to go? I wore his helmet on my short test ride which was at 7pm and his was super light, like it was carbon fiber. The FIRST Thing I need is a Helmet! I haven't rode my New Bike since he drove it to my house and put it in my garage. It rained all day today.

I have Yamaha dealers all around me, BUT,I assume you go try on the Helmet and then if the price is high buy it on-line.

What is a good helmet??? I know there are millions, but I am going to ride on weekends and not LONG Trips, and least yet as my wife is still pissed about the whole thing!

A few suggestions for a Helmet and price range would be helpful. I know Shoei are good but cost $$$$, what is a GOOD Brand, Model Name/#, SAFE, COOL Looking Helmet
(and what type, i.e. open face, full face, etc.)that is in the middle price range?

I'll spend whatever I need to, but don't know a lot about the latest gear. I Modded my 2001 C5 Vette to run 11.1 in the 1/4 mile (Which I still have), so I am familiar with forums and Mod Fever. I spent so much in Mods since 2001 that I can never sell it! Have Heads, Cam, Headers, Exhaust, Tuning, Tranny, Sway Bars, absolutely nothing is stock down to the tail lights and pedals. I even have Nitrous in my ash tray. I am in my low 40's so I am not some crazy punk (have a sweet little 3 year old girl now so I have to be careful), but I got carried away.

OK, Back to Motorcycles!

I also want to buy a New Exhaust for sure, but Helmet First and maybe some decent Riding Boots which I have no idea what to buy and where to get them?

Thanks Guys and sorry for jumping all over the place..........

The Bandit.......................

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have ZERO gear. I need Gear ASAP, what the hell do I buy? I know 1st thing I need is a Helmet. I was thinking that I LIKED his Yellow Neon jacket. in his defense, he just got off work and met me. I never planned on getting something like that, but it does stand out. Is that not a cool thing to ride with???

Any suggestions for good riding foot wear to buy? I am in Texas so I could use some boots I'm sure. NOW, I would likely wear New Balance Shoes as I don't have any riding boots. What are good shoes/boots to buy for riding? Are there certain riding boots? Also, it is about to be summer in Texas, so do you always wear jeans when you ride in the heat? For safety? Anyone wear shorts, or is that not smart???

I don't want to look like a Dip S#$%^, so I need some advice. So Full Face is NOT a good Helmet to get? Is Open face the way to go? I wore his helmet on my short test ride which was at 7pm and his was super light, like it was carbon fiber. The FIRST Thing I need is a Helmet! I haven't rode my New Bike since he drove it to my house and put it in my garage. It rained all day today.

I have Yamaha dealers all around me, BUT,I assume you go try on the Helmet and then if the price is high buy it on-line.

What is a good helmet??? I know there are millions, but I am going to ride on weekends and not LONG Trips, and least yet as my wife is still pissed about the whole thing!

A few suggestions for a Helmet and price range would be helpful. I know Shoei are good but cost $$$$, what is a GOOD Brand, Model Name/#, SAFE, COOL Looking Helmet
(and what type, i.e. open face, full face, etc.)that is in the middle price range?

I'll spend whatever I need to, but don't know a lot about the latest gear. I Modded my 2001 C5 Vette to run 11.1 in the 1/4 mile (Which I still have), so I am familiar with forums and Mod Fever. I spent so much in Mods since 2001 that I can never sell it! Have Heads, Cam, Headers, Exhaust, Tuning, Tranny, Sway Bars, absolutely nothing is stock down to the tail lights and pedals. I even have Nitrous in my ash tray. I am in my low 40's so I am not some crazy punk (have a sweet little 3 year old girl now so I have to be careful), but I got carried away.

OK, Back to Motorcycles!

I also want to buy a New Exhaust for sure, but Helmet First and maybe some decent Riding Boots which I have no idea what to buy and where to get them?

Thanks Guys and sorry for jumping all over the place..........

The Bandit.......................
Hey Bandit Congrats!!!

I am a fellow Vstar 950 Black rider here, and I'm also in TX. I got my new bike delivered about 10 days ago. Not quite as great a deal as you got, but I got a 2012 950 Tourer with zero miles on it for $3000 under sticker with 5 total years of warranty. Like your situation, I couldn't pass up the deal.

Thought I would throw my $.02 to try and help you answer some of your questions since I was in the same situation as you are less than a month ago.

1. Footwear, I'd recommend boots that go over your ankle. (Leather or some sturdy material). I found some that zip up (no laces to worry about) and are extremely comfortable in both the cool and HOT Texas weather. Check around locally to see what fits and then see if you can beat the price online. For footwear, you don't necessarily have to get "Motorcycle" specific boots, in fact the ones I bought were from Aldo. (around $70). If you've checked some of the gear websites, you'll quickly see that prices can easily be 3X that high for "Motorcycle" boots.

2. Helmet - I'd recommend a full face helmet. Country roads, highways, city streets, etc all have rock chips, debris, bugs that WILL hit you eventually. Personally I don't want any of those hitting me in the face. I bought the Shoei Multitec Modular Helmet and I LOVE IT. Ended up buying it from revzilla.com - free shipping and NO TAX. I rode the other day when it was 90 degrees and it really suprised me how cool it kept my head. At the stop lights or in trafffic, you can flip up the face portion to get some air, then flip it down before you take off again. I think I paid $289 for that helmet and got $10 off my jacket purchase later on. It may seem like a lot to spend, but for something I use almost everyday, it is worth every penny. I had an older bike a few years ago and it came with an el cheapo helmet and I can assure you that the extra money that the name brands charge is apparent in the quality, durability, and creature comforts.

3. Jacket - I bought the Joe Rocket Alter Ego 3.0 jacket also from revzilla.com. So far, I LOVE IT. It comes with a cool (Texas Winter) zip out vest, Inner mesh jacket with armor in shoulders, elbows and back, as well as an outer layer for when it's cold and/or raining. I have not needed the vest at all. I mainly rode with the mesh and outer layers at night and for the past few days, just the mesh inner layer. It is extremely comfortable for me and gets great airflow. I couldn't be happier with my choice. Like the helmet, I could have gone for a cheaper option, but would have needed to buy a different jacket for when cooler weather comes back, so I went with the 3 in 1 approach.

These are just my opinions, I spent about 2 months researching different options of gear before getting my bike. You'll figure it out, just go try on some stuff and see what works for you.

Let us know what you decide, welcome to the club!!!!

·
Administrator
13,705 Posts
you can get a good helmet for as low as $40. the most important things are:
1)it fits
2)it's comfortable
3)it's got DOT or SNELL stamped on it. this means it's been approved by one of the 2 top testing organizations for helmets.

visit a couple dealers and see what they have. it's better to buy from a store than online because an online helmet and you're not sure how it's going to fit. if you do go with a full face, it's going to be hotter on you than a 3/4 or half helmet. something to keep in mind when it hits 110 degrees in the summer.

for jackets, i have a perforated leather jacket from River Road. the perforation allows it to breathe and has an inner layer that i can zip in during colder months and take out during warmer months. another option is textile jackets which are picking up in popularity because they are lightweight and also breathable. again, check out some local shops and you may see something you like in person. for anything online, just google it. there are thousands of sites that sell motorcycle equipment and gear.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Nicholas, Bevo, and Annie,

WoW Thanks to ALL of you. Man Nick, you were so cool to respond with that detailed reply, very nice and informative.

I am going to go check out that helmet. Sounds like you got a great deal too! And, yours is brand new. Mine was just a lucky deal where he had 2 other bikes AND already had one bad experience trying to sell it on Craigs List, so he was motivated to sell and I don't think he understood ho wmuch more he could have gotten if he advertised it better (Extended Warranty that cost me $1,200 thatt is transfewrable to YOU", etc.) I am in sales so I am a decent seller, and a cheap bastard when it comes to buying.
But a nice C.B.

Again, thanks so much for all the comments Nicholas, Bevo, and Annie.

Here is the Shoie Multitec Modular Helme $299 on RevZilla Plus $10 Cash Backt

And ALter Ego Jacket (What Color Did you get, Black???) Here it is in Neon. Not neon, but I forgot what they call this color. I kind of LIKE the bright color for saftey. What do you guys think? Is it not cool??? I'd rather be safe than cool

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Hi Viz.

I personally love a full face helmet - but at 110 in the summer where you are (someone said) I would look for a white helmet or lighter color. Black is going to cook ya, no matter how cool it looks. Also, a modular helmet will be heavier than a regular full face and that might bug you. You will definitely want to try some on and see what you think. I have two full face helmets and one is much cooler than the other - the HJC is my preference in hot weather. And, the other helmet (offbrand Vcan helmet) is warmer so I wear that one in the colder weather. One is also much better with my glasses so if I'm wearing my glasses I choose that one.

For a jacket - you might consider something that has a mesh underjacket that you can take apart - I LOVE that in the summer and if you are somewhere where the temps rise that high, the best, most protective jacket will be one you are willing to wear in the heat. I have one like this - http://www.revzilla.com/product/power-trip-powershift-ii-jacket?utm_source=product&kwd=&adtype=pla&kw={keyword}&gclid=CNeI2__-wrYCFYXItAod8kAAVw The picture sucks but if you look at the close ups - you'll see that part of the jacket zips off to mesh lining - while still giving you shoulder and elbow/back armor. This breathes really well. I just wish it came in hi viz. I have the light gray one.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts