1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried this on there Strato
BIG AIR KIT -- STEALTH
Road/Stratoliner
Does it make it louder and do you need a programmer?
Thanks
Mick

·
Registered
65 Posts
I do not have the BAK. (Heck, I don't have a Star {yet!})

Regarding 'noise', prior experiences on other bikes when the airbox was opened up or an aftermarket intake was used reflect that there will be an increase in intake 'noise'.

On my 1800, I liked that change. On the wife's 900 Kawi w/modified OEM box,,, eh well,,, it's just different,,,

One thing I'm kinda warming up to on the Barons kit specifically is the coil relo option. If you get the optional engine coil/cover trim pieces (sold seperately) it does visually 'open up' the area between the cylinders a bit. It's all a matter of 'taste'.

Fuel management, Again, no Star in my garage, but with my X, adding FM (PCIII) to my already piped and intake'ed (?) bike sure woke it up and made it run smoother. Under some instances, one may encounter less MPG w/FM,,,, depending on your tune. The PC V w/auto-tune looks very 'interesting',,,

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had the big air kit for about a month, It was very loud to me. The power was great but for two up cruising it just was'nt practical for me. Big air, slip-on and programmer is a nice combo but remember, with a windshield and loud valve train, it can get to be a little much on long rides.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I have heard or read somewhere that the baks spit out oil on hard accell because the cc breather is modified along with it. They also said only running 5 qts of oil will help but not solve it. They are noisey cause just doing the air box mod made it noisier.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I do remember being able to smell oil while riding with the Bak. I thought I was just something in the air but this was everyday and everywhere, yeah it spits out oil. I really prefer the smell of fresh air. Just one more bad trade-off for me. Most of you power improvements would be in the high r.p.m. s. , usually only 10% of riding time. You make the call.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Picked up my Strat yesterday,,,

I've been contemplating the Big Air, but heck,,,, like my old VTX 1800, plenty of power on tap already,,, I'm gonna stick with the OEM intake, at least for now.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Welcome to more power, better handling, and better looking cruising. Save yourself a little trouble and by pass the slip-on and go directly to vance&hines 2 into 1. You will have to add some fuel control but it is worth it. I have tried many combos and I found the smoothes and most usable power set up is with 2 into 1, K&N filter and PC III. Quiet @ cruise and sweet @ full power.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don't have the 2-1 V&H just the Road Burner slip on I have the barons intake just not put on and after reading about the oil issue I think I will pass on it anyone want to buy it?
$200 shipped

1 - 12 of 12 Posts