Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed Baron's 'Liner Risers on my '06 Strat today. First ride impression is very positive comfort-wise. But I'm having a bit of trouple dogging the caps down tight enough to keep the bars from dropping when applying moderate downward pressure on the grips. Seems like there should be some good tips available to cure this. Any suggestions out there?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Barons risers

Tighten the allen head bolt first,that is the second one forward from the tank.This will leave a "gap",that will allow the one closest to tank to be tightened,clamping tight on bar..Randy

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Randy, but that's been tried. In fact, after I tightened the rear allen bolt down, I dogged the front one down too much and stripped the thread on one of the caps. There was just no gap there. Barons was nice enough to send me a new one - gotta love a company that stands by their products - so tomorrow I'm going to try again. This time I'm going to rough up the inside of the clamps a bit with a Dremel and make up some thin aluminium shims. Apparently no one else has ever encountered this problem - lucky me. I'll post again if any of this works. Appreciate the response, tho'.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, just got back from the test ride and can happily report that the god of risers has smiled upon me. No handlebar roll. So, here's what didn't work, what might have worked, and what probably worked. Shims - didn't work. There was insufficient room in the clamp to accommodate a shim of any thickness. Roughing up the inside of the clamp around the handlebar - might have worked, probably didn't hurt. What probably worked was reinstalling the riser while paying more attention to the process. I thought I had originally installed them in keeping with the instructions and as Randy recommended above, but I probably didn't. This time I made sure I paid attention and the result was success. So, once again, my mechanical ineptitude teaches me humility.

I also learned that the folks at Barons are first-rate - working hard to make sure that their customers end up happy with their products. And the 'Liner Risers are a great product. Thanks to them and to Randy for gettin' me straight.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Love the Baron's Liner Risers

I have had my Baron's risers on for about 4 months now and I love them. I had a heck of a time figuring out where the extra wiring was hidden in the back of the headlight. If you are contemplating buying the risers don't wait.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Expecting to receive a set of these risers next week. Any tips on the install beyond what's in the instructions - particularly with regard to freeing up some slack in the cables?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I didn't have to do anything with the clutch cable but the brake cable had to be removed from the clips and then I used cable ties to attach it to the clips. The excess wiring is behind the plate in the back of the headlight. I got it done by myself, but it would be a lot easier with two people.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a set on order. They look really nice & it's a bit of a stretch for me to reach the stock bars even though I tend to lead forward a bit when riding. Now maybe I can sit back & cruise. LOL
Can't wait to install them, hopefullly this week.

·
Registered
7 Posts
forgive my ignorance but do the risers just raise the handlebars or do they actually bring them closer to the rider. I would like to do both if possible.

This being my first bike I am still learning and this site has provided a great format for doing so.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Rake

Bigjoe,

Yes they do also move the handlebars rearward due to the rake angle of the front forks, tripple tree, riser, etc. It angles back so as you raise the bars they also move back some. My inch and a half riser moved the bars rearward three quarter inch if I remember right.

Dave

·
Registered
258 Posts
I went with 2" pull back risers from Baron. Probably the best mod I've done so far. I feel like I have better control as well as comfort. I believe 2" is the most you can do without changing your brake lines.

·
Registered
422 Posts
forgive my ignorance but do the risers just raise the handlebars or do they actually bring them closer to the rider. I would like to do both if possible.

This being my first bike I am still learning and this site has provided a great format for doing so.

Thanks
The Barons are up 1in and back 2.25in.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have had my Baron's risers on for about 4 months now and I love them. I had a heck of a time figuring out where the extra wiring was hidden in the back of the headlight. If you are contemplating buying the risers don't wait.
Anyone know the best way to get at wires? I previewed the install instructions from Barons and it's says there's a cable guide at the bottom right of the headlight, and to pull wires up from there by removing or unbolting the guide. They don't really mention getting into the bucket. I am pretty sure I'll be needing to pull up some slack to move the bars bar that far.

·
Registered
12 Posts
All set, risers are installed. It took me a couple of hours but really a bad install to do. Instructions that come with the risers are good.

I used a broom handle and tied wrapped it under the grips on the bars to balance the bars on top of the tank. Just place a couple of towels under to prop it.

Step 1 is good to check the tank position, pulling it to the rear is worthwhile, so dont skip that.

Brake line had to come out of the guide, but all other cables were ok. I pulled back whatever slack wire there was in the bars and back up from the bucket. It was just enough for full lock left and right. Didnt get to do a test ride as its rainy cold out tonite, but I can already tell the new seating position is much better now

Thanks to all for sharing tips n tricks on the risers. I am installing MS Batwing tomorrow night and will be good to go.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Fivepoints:
The MS Batwing definitely improves the look of the liner, but the original Stratoliner windshield has better wind coverage. I might be partial but the look is worth less coverage. Take a look for yourself.

Fitz.

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/detail.cfm?Category_ID=84&manufacturer_ID=28&product_ID=50643&sblid_name=Memphis_Shades_Batwing_Fairing___Various_Metrics_for_Honda_1800_VTX1800S&model_id=111[/URL]

Above is the link straight to the one that fits a roadliner/stratoliner. They have most of the accessories for it too. The local body shop did a great job painting it for me.

Fitz.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Fivepoints:
The MS Batwing definitely improves the look of the liner, but the original Stratoliner windshield has better wind coverage. I might be partial but the look is worth less coverage. Take a look for yourself.

Fitz.
Thanks Fitz, that looks great. I like the color matching & your probably right on the wind coverage. I will update on the Batwing once I get it mounted & have a chance to ride. There is a lower kit available so will probably spring for that later. The price and versatilily to swap shields 5' - 12" shields or use the MS Fats or no shield at all why I chose the Batwing at this point.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Baron risiers

The only thing is mine don't mount flush. The round spacer you put in to keep it above your tank leaves a gap on the back side. Is that normal. But works great.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts