Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am buying a new battery and am looking for advice on whether to go gel or stick with lead acid. Any comments will be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
894 Posts
That's kinda like asking what oil to put in your bike, but I'll interject an opinion anyway.

Take your pick. I prefer at least to install a maintenance free battery. Beyond that the argument can go on for quite some time.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Everyone, I went with the wet lead/acid as I had before. I got a lot of time off that battery and I think maybe they are a tad more durable than the Gel. Wavelenght.

·
Registered
894 Posts
ATV's come with gel batteries because they can take a bit more physical abuse.
But, there disadvantages can make them less appropriate for a highway driven vehicle. They are less tolerant to overcharging and have a lower charge voltage requirement. Per compared size they have a lower total charge and lower discharge rate capacity.

In an ATV, the gel cell is great. It'll work upside down and sideways. It has excellent spill protection (as does AGM). It is more tolerant of deep cycling and extremely low gassing means much less terminal corrosion.

So, durability can mean different things to different people depending on the application and expectations of use.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Thanks Everyone, I went with the wet lead/acid as I had before. I got a lot of time off that battery and I think maybe they are a tad more durable than the Gel. Wavelenght.
Smart move, you said it right, you got a lot of time off that battery and chances are the new battery will outlast the bike.

"Gel, Lithium" etc, no need for any of it, its just marketing to sell you a product, that over time, will not be as good as the one that came with the bike.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts