Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new battery (Superline DuraBoost Model Number CT14B-4) last fall and it is giving me problems when cold starting the bike. The battery is always on a tender in my garage. The battery has just enough power to crank the bike, but if it doesn’t start right away, it’s back on the tender and I wait to try again. Meanwhile, it's 40 degrees, sunny and I want to ride!

I know car batteries have different levels of “cold crank amperages”. Do motorcycle batteries? Can anyone recommend a battery for cold starting? I guess it would be one with a lot of amps.

·
Registered
93 Posts
battery

From what I have seen it is a cheap battery, but I would try something first.

Try unhooking one cable from the battery and charge it. Hook the cable back up and try starting it. If it still "barely starts" the bike, replace it. If it cranks good, you might have a bad regulator that is allowing a draw, offsetting the charge. You can use an a meter to confirm draw.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
As Gary said charge the battery with a known good charger first. Put a meter on the battery should read high 12.5 to 13 vdc. Pull your plug wires, so it doesn't start. Read voltage as you try to turn the engine over. If it drops more than 1-2vdc then you need a new battery. Is your tender charging the battery? This procedure will load test your battery at the current needed to start your bike.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
To cold

If your weather is as cold as it has been in Ohio I'm not surprised the bike won't start. V Twins are tough to turn over in winter. I started my bike the other day but, I keep a trouble light under the motor.

Dave

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for all the replies. Both the voltage regulator and stator are new (Had them replaced in the fall), and the connections are tight. The tender does charge the battery, so I think it is as Dave suggested, it is just hard to turn over cold.

I did put the bike back on the tender for ½ an hour, and it did finally start. I went for a nice 40 minute ride.

This does have me a little concerned for when I want to take the bike to work when it warms up a little. I’d hate to come out of the office at 5:30 PM to a bike that won’t start.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
The only problem or something to be aware of is the life expectancy. L-Ion batteries have a shorter lifespan than Lead Acid. They chemically decay and last about 3 yrs max. I just replaced my OEM Lead Acid battery at almost 6yrs of life. (kept on float charger when I'm not riding) So for me the ROI is just not there for me.

L-ion and Lead Acid batteries are best left on charger all the time when not riding. L-Ion do not have a "memory" problem like Ni-cads.

Mine went the same way, slow to start and then no start. Found a slightly larger battery (thicker front to back) that fit in the battery well and offered more amps an XTAX14-BS.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
How old is your current battery? Mine started doing the same thing when it went bad. Then one night I came out and just click click click.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I bought the battery in mid-October of 2010, so it's only 3.5 months old. It never gave me a problem until it got really cold. It is always on the battery tender when not in use.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Tender only?

A good battery should start the bike no matter how cold it is also if you have a tender only it will not charge the battery. If it won't start in the cold then I think you have a problem. my bike is in a unheated shop and three days ago it was -18 and it had no problem at all, yours should start also. :cool:

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Have you done any of the tests recommended? It was 15 here last week and mine fired right over. The battery might not have been that good when you bought it.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll try the load tests this weekend.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I'm at work I'll get for you tomorrow

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Batteries

Can you tell me the brand and model of battery you have installed?
Just for info, the last couple years I been runnin Super Start Powersport AGM (absorbed glass mat) EXT14. Has served me well, and seems to be a tough one. This is in my 1100 Silverado. Tax and all 80 bucks. Ride safe.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Battery is a GTX14BS off E-Bay Item 390160414310

$46.50 Shipping included When I purchased.

Right now they are $28.99 + $14.99 expedited shipping, $43.98

Just use the item number to get there on E-Bay.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks all for the replies. I'll run a few tests on my current battery, and keep you posted.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts