Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
It is most likely connected to an engine mount that is just to the right and down from the battery, or mount nearest battery.

·
Registered
6,065 Posts
Follow the black wire from the - terminal on the battery, wiggle it and see where it goes

sometimes a previous owner will move it, so make sure you are chasing the right one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It’s tough chasing the wires the way they’re crammed in there. Plus I don’t have a garage so I’m at the mercy of Mother Nature here in eastern Pennsylvania.

·
Registered
156 Posts
--

Keep in mind that a ground from the battery can go from the negative post to any frame point that makes good contact. You can always run another wire or a substitute wire if you want. Doesn't have to be the original spot.

--

·
Registered
22 Posts
I got 2011 950 ground is right in front of belt guard where left leg. Would be if you were on it I replaced mine with a big time 4 gauge along with starter wire and it makes a major difference. I always did car audio " big 3 upgrades" so I did to bike it doesn't add hp. But its one of the best thing if not the best for your ride. Most people think they blow speakers or amps from using them hard 99.9% wrong its bc of under powered too small power ground wires which causes massive heat does it. Bigger the better and much cooler just don't let + be bigger than - think of it like water flowing in and out if more in than out can handle then problems happen and weakest link will be exposed.When you do it to a truck the a.c. blows harder colder lights brighter. Copper is not cheap triple check new wires and connections wire gauge isn't regulated so theres 8awg with more copper tthan some 0awg bike will start so quick, lights brighter,all components will last 10x longer. Any sign of corrosion means trouble. Mine bike had 1400 miles and i felt shock on right. Leg it was the spring thst clutch moves. Use threadlock on every screw on bike red for permanent blue for stuff you add or might change like lights horns. Get metric sockets Phillips and flat and make every nut bolt screw part of your monthly routine no matter how hard they are to get to bikes vibrate and things come loose. And whoever discovered coca cola cleans corrosion is dumbest latest man ever that's like putting tape on check engine light

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to all for your support! But I am selling my Yamaha to upgrade to a larger motorcycle (non-Yamaha). Maybe someday I will return. Again, I appreciate everyone’s input!

·
Registered
6,065 Posts
--

Keep in mind that a ground from the battery can go from the negative post to any frame point that makes good contact. You can always run another wire or a substitute wire if you want. Doesn't have to be the original spot.

--

This also means that a previous owner may have added a new ground wire from the battery, and grounded it somewhere else, instead of where its 'suppose to be'.

So if you are chasing a corroded ground wire issue, and you take off the original wire at the frame end, and polish the metal like a mirror, and put it back on, you may have just cleaned up the wire the previous owner cut off at the other end, whre you cant see it.

When you are tracing wires thru a bike its always good to follow them point to point if you can, and if you have a Volt/ohm meter buzz them out too, make sure the wire is not broken in the middle.

You can waste hours, days, and hundreds of dollars on unnecessary parts (like a new alternator or starter) when the problem was a broken or sheared wire, because you checked it at one end, but did not buzz it thru (check the resistance with an ohm meter) to the other end.

·
Registered
6,065 Posts
...that's like putting tape on check engine light
I bought a 1984 VW rabbit new. When the odo reached 30,000 miles in the middle of a trip from Iowa to New York on December 23rd, the CHECK O2 sensor light came on.

I looked at the odo and realized it must be set to trip off every 30k miles (it was).

I could not find the reset switch. I took it to a VW dealer, they could not find the reset switch. From the first Rabbit made in the early 1970s till the 1983 the O2 sensor light switch was in the same place. In 1984 they moved it up under the dash board. In 1985 they stopped making the Rabbit.

That Rabbit had electrical tape over the O2 CHECK SENOR light for ten years. Finally in 1994 I found where they had moved it, you needed a steel wire like a bicycle spoke to reach up under the dash board to push the reset button while the key was on.

Sometimes the electrical tape over the warning light is necessary. :^)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Sometimes the electrical tape over the warning light is necessary. :^)
--

Ditto. My pickup has a passenger airbag light that stays on. The air bag is okay, just the sensor is not functioning. I can either cover the light with a Post It, or pay $275. (as I recall) for the dealer to replace the sensor.

Easy choice. :wink:

--

1 - 12 of 12 Posts