Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bike has been at the dealer since 22 November for gps repair. Called today to get an update, none. Asked about the brake switch recall, did not know about it. (Smiling).

Also, and the reason for this post, I asked if the battery was on a tender. They said no but seeing that it was in a heated facility they did not see the necessity. I mentioned that there are a lot of electronics on the bike, but no concerned shown.

So, how long can the bike sit before the battery will go dead? Any one have any ideas?

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
10,231 Posts
From my experience, 2 to 4 years is average. Seems like a long span but I've had "better" batteries last only a few years and "cheap" batteries last longer. Most has to do with vibration and actually deteriorating the battery internally.

·
Registered
328 Posts
From my experience, 2 to 4 years is average. Seems like a long span but I've had "better" batteries last only a few years and "cheap" batteries last longer. Most has to do with vibration and actually deteriorating the battery internally.
I respectfully disagree with you here. Given that he said it's in for a GPS issue, I'm assuming it has a constant battery drain for some electronics - like the clock. I once let my Stratoliner sit for about 6 weeks and it really cranked over slow on the two year old OEM battery. So, in my opinion, they're pushing it if it's not already dead.

Unless they left the battery disconnected, that is. In which case I agree!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
I have found living in the north wirh boat and bike batteries having them on the tender vs charging over the winter that batteries last twice as long. I agree that with all of the electronics and having a draw while sitting is an issue. It is disappointing that they have your bike this long and wont take care of it.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess I did not really clarify what I was asking. I understand the “life‘ of a battery, was an electrician in the Navy on submarines, we had a big one. I am more concerned about the amount of draw the electronics will pull while sitting there not being started frequently like during the riding season. I kept in on a tender when not riding for over a week. Now it is just sitting and I am sure it is not being started frequently and there is a draw on the battery, not sure how much but I believe enough to be concerned when it has been close to two months if not riding and how much drain was put on it during troubleshooting.

And we all know that you need to run the bike a while after starting to replace the current drain of starting. Idling won’t do that.

·
10,231 Posts
I respectfully disagree with you here. Given that he said it's in for a GPS issue, I'm assuming it has a constant battery drain for some electronics - like the clock. I once let my Stratoliner sit for about 6 weeks and it really cranked over slow on the two year old OEM battery. So, in my opinion, they're pushing it if it's not already dead.

Unless they left the battery disconnected, that is. In which case I agree!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
You are correct, I was referencing the life of battery disconnected.

·
Registered
2001 Yamaha XVS650 Dragstar Classic and 1999 Honda NT650V Deauville
932 Posts
If there is a drain/load on the battery, regardless of how small, it will go dead in a certain time determined on the capacity of the battery related to the amount of drain. My Honda Deauville 650 had an LCD clock that was always on, always displaying time. I could leave the 12 Ah battery in for 2 months without any charge or use, and the bike would fire easily. My Dragstar 650 had virtually no drop in voltage after 4 months just sitting. Oh, and while the capacity of a battery goes down with temperature, as long as there are no drain it will retain more of its capacity when it is cold. A fully charged battery will stay virtually fully charged for a year or more if kept in a deep freezer. Just do not put a drained/flat LED or gel battery in the freezer, that may not end well.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Well I can state this. I just recently replaced my battery in my SVTC and ride often. If the bike sits for a week it has trouble starting. Now it’s has been cold real cold but it has a hesitation when starting.
When I hit the start button it starts to crank and then it drops, cuts out enough to say what the #$&@ then it starts...thank you..

Now what is the recall...

update:
so I looked up the brake recall. This is something I reported on the forum mid 2018 shortly after I bought the bike and than again a few months later It happened again.
Not too long ago I had my rear brakes fail without any warning and the dealer couldn’t find any reason why...now I am wondering if there is more to this.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Bike has been at the dealer since 22 November for gps repair. Called today to get an update, none. Asked about the brake switch recall, did not know about it. (Smiling).

Also, and the reason for this post, I asked if the battery was on a tender. They said no but seeing that it was in a heated facility they did not see the necessity. I mentioned that there are a lot of electronics on the bike, but no concerned shown.

So, how long can the bike sit before the battery will go dead? Any one have any ideas?
How would you define dead?

If you mean will not start the bike, you're at 7 weeks now so its probably getting close.

If you mean that it has discharged so deeply that it can't be recharged, then I think you've still got a ways to go. The drain caused by all the electronics, will most likely continue until the battery gets down to around 9 volts. I'm guessing the battery voltage would need to be less than that before it will no longer take a charge.

·
Registered
2018 Star Eluder GT
6 Posts
Seems like a good place to ask. What tenders are y’all using on your bike. I have a traditional charger/maintainer but just noticed in the manual pg. 9-29,
that you need a special one for the VRLA batteries that are in the Eluders. It states you can damage the battery by using a charger that’s not specific for VRLA batteries. Also can anyone tell me whether they are AGM or Gel batteries in the 18 Eluders?

·
Registered
212 Posts
--

I'm using Odyssey batteries on a RZR and RoadStar, both have sometimes long down times without a tender on them, but are disconnected at the ground post. When hooked up, without any pre-charge, they fire up immediately. I have two blue top Optima batteries on my camper which sets for sometimes two years without any activity, but then will operate with full power for jacks. They don't have any parasitic power draw from any electronics. They are always on a battery tender. (By the way, they have been installed for over 25 years! The camper is a 1976 model.)
I have a stock Yusa battery on a 2014 ATV that works well, but is on a tender during the winter only. Sometimes will go a month or two without being started during the summer.

--

Reactions: lesblank

·
Registered
387 Posts
Seems like a good place to ask. What tenders are y’all using on your bike. I have a traditional one but just learned that you need a special one for the VRLA batteries that are in the Eluders. Also can anyone tell me whether they are AGM or Gel?
I don't know what a VRLA battery is. Because of your question about Gel or AGM, I'm guessing VRLA is a brand? A Gel battery requires different charging than AGM or traditional Lead Acid batteries. AGM and Lead Acid use the same charging rate. Many chargers will have a switch to choose which type of battery you are charging. Because AGM is a newer technology than Gel, I'll guess that you have an AGM battery. If that's the case, you most likely can use any of the more common battery tender type chargers.

·
10,231 Posts
From WIKI:

A valve regulated lead–acid (VRLA) battery, commonly known as a sealed lead–acid (SLA) battery,[1] is a type of lead–acid battery characterized by a limited amount of electrolyte ("starved" electrolyte) absorbed in a plate separator or formed into a gel; proportioning of the negative and positive plates so that oxygen recombination is facilitated within the cell; and the presence of a relief valve that retains the battery contents independent of the position of the cells.[2]

Reactions: Boog

·
Premium Member
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring, '81 XS650SH Project
1,629 Posts
@ecbaatz I will bet you a Dr. Pepper that your battery has drained over this time and must be recharged before starting.

Another concern I have with a two plus year old battery, is that its power has naturally diminished over time. Some of these batteries when left to drain completely may be permanently damaged. A few of the dealerships/shops I have dealt with in the past remove batteries and label them for bike/customer and place them on the appropriate charge/tender till the mechanic can affect the repair. I once thought all shops do this but obvious many shop do not like having customers... :(

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@ecbaatz I will bet you a Dr. Pepper that your battery has drained over this time and must be recharged before starting.

Another concern I have with a two plus year old battery, is that its power has naturally diminished over time. Some of these batteries when left to drain completely may be permanently damaged. A few of the dealerships/shops I have dealt with in the past remove batteries and label them for bike/customer and place them on the appropriate charge/tender till the mechanic can affect the repair. I once thought all shops do this but obvious many shop do not like having customers... :(
No bet, it is a losing bet and Dr Pepper is my favorite drink.
The battery may only be a year old as I asked about replacement when I purchased the bike as I was concerned about a two year old battery at that time. If they didn’t replace it, will have to check when I get the bike back, it would be a three year old battery.

That is why I asked about the battery tender. But, their concern does not reflect my concern.

I am extremely familiar with Lead Acid Batteries. I spent a lot of time in my 20 year in the Navy on board submarines maintain them.

Eric

·
Registered
222 Posts
Seems like a good place to ask. What tenders are y’all using on your bike. I have a traditional charger/maintainer but just noticed in the manual pg. 9-29, View attachment 102678 that you need a special one for the VRLA batteries that are in the Eluders. It states you can damage the battery by using a charger that’s not specific for VRLA batteries. Also can anyone tell me whether they are AGM or Gel batteries in the 18 Eluders?
This is what I use, although I didn't buy it here, it is sold through this Link from Yamaha for the Eluder:
Battery Tender Plus

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
I am extremely familiar with Lead Acid Batteries. I spent a lot of time in my 20 year in the Navy on board submarines maintain them.

Eric
[/QUOQUOTE]

In the world of full disclosure, I can attest to how hard it is to hear a battery powered boat underwater. I was an AW for 21 years. I always said going after the diesel boats in batteries was like trying to listen for a flashlight.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

True, but all my boats were nukes. Did not have the privilege of serving on a diesel.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
True, but all my boats were nukes. Did not have the privilege of serving on a diesel.
I can remember when only we had quite Nucs, good times...

One of my Rescue Swimmer brothers was part of the USS Bonefish rescue off the east coast. He pulled 21 or 22 sailors from the water before he was done that day. Now that was one horrible battery fire!

See, I've brought the topic back to batteries now... ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts