Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
It looks like the battery was overheating. i would have it tested, and also check the charging system to be sure it is not overcharging.

·
Registered
5,634 Posts
It will do that if you over charge it, with a shop charger or if your bike charging system has a failed regulator.

It will also do that if the battery was nearly dead, and it froze. A charged battery is filled with acid and will not freeze. A dead battery is mostly water.

Either way, that battery is spent.

If your bike charging system has a failed regulator the only indication you might see is the headlight will be really bright, because it can run well over 15V.

If the regulator is bad you do not want to run your engine - other electronic modules could be destroyed by the higher voltage.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,355 Posts
When the voltage regulator starts to fail it will over charge the electical system. Follow link to test.

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home/repairs/charging-system

Mine went out a few years ago. From experience it will start blowing lights and switches. Use Yamaha replacement, the cheaper after market ones have a reputation of not lasting. And yes you will need to replace the battery.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for your valuable information. I am getting a new battery tonight. However, I don't want to mess up my new battery, so can I test this regulator thingy with my old battery by just jumping the motorcycle? I am not too mechanically inclined, but how hard is it to replace the regulator?

·
2,475 Posts
You'll need a volt meter. Start the bike and measure it across the battery. If it's more than 13 or 14 volts your voltage regulator/rectifier is bad. If it's an 1100 it's a known issue. Don't let it run any longer than necessary to test it if the voltage is too high or it'll destroy your new battery. And les is right - don't waste your money on a Chinese regulator from eBay. Get OEM.

The regulator isn't hard to replace. Assuming you have an 1100, it's behind the chrome plastic cover that's under the battery. You'll probably have to remove the exhaust to get to it, then take the cover off. Only a couple of bolts hold the regulator on. Unplug it and install the new one.

·
Registered
552 Posts
The regulator isn't hard to replace. Assuming you have an 1100, it's behind the chrome plastic cover that's under the battery. You'll probably have to remove the exhaust to get to it, then take the cover off. Only a couple of bolts hold the regulator on. Unplug it and install the new one.
Generally true, but the screw and clip were rusted together on mine which made getting the regulator out a little more difficult for me. By the way, mine went bad at 11K miles and the replacement at about 48K miles. Bike is on it's third one.

See picture below of clip. This slips over a piece of plastic to support the regulator.

Attachments

·
Registered
174 Posts
Motorcycle batteries are small. Most of the ones I have seen were not sealed. My battery is not sealed and I check the liquid level every once in a while. If the level gets a bit low, I add distilled water or deionized water and then charge the battery with an intelligent battery charger.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
So I checked the battery no load, 12-12.4 on the multi-meter. I checked it with the engine running 13.8-13.9. Under the 14 mark, so can I rule out the regulator or is it an intermittent thing? Oh, I took it to teh motorcycle shop around the corner and their fancy meter said the battery was bad, which we knew, but the regulator was putting out 14 volts.

·
Registered
55 Posts
It's also likely that a bad (or dying battery) can spoof the charging system. Maybe that caused an overcharge of the battery and bloating? Back in the '80's had a buddy with a Suzuki 1000L that kept blowing headlamps. Dealer he took it to said nothing was wrong and would do other work while there. He spent a good amount of coin. He was with me at my dealer when getting some break-in work done on mine and mentioned it to the service guy there. He said test your battery. Low and behold a few days of sitting and his bike wouldn't start. New battery and never blew the bulb again.

·
Registered
5,634 Posts
...motorcycle shop ... said the battery was bad, ..
your profile does not say where you live. Is it possible the battery froze? that would make it swell like that with no faulty charging to blame.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Went for a long ride today. Roseburg, Oregon over to Reedsport then up to Yachats. Played on the beach and then back home to Roseburg. When I pulled the ole mistress into the garage I had the sneaking suspicion to take off the battery cover. Wouldn't you know it, BULGING battery!!! Grrrrrr. Guess it is a new regulator for me. Man this is getting expensive fast. Regulator and another new battery. Man oh man. Glad that I found this out not to far from home instead of on my 1,000 mile trip to Utah. Any thing I may be missing?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
my regulator failed last year. i have a battery monitor from custom dynamics. it would read normal but during a long ride at about 150 miles the monitor would warn me my battery was not charging. i figured it was a heat thing. i replaced the regulator with one from a 2005 roadstar, heavy duty.i checked the connector where the wires from the stator going to the regulator connect behind the lower sidecase on the left side of the bike. there is oil coming out thru the wires and the connector is wet.

·
Registered
243 Posts
So I checked the battery no load, 12-12.4 on the multi-meter. I checked it with the engine running 13.8-13.9. Under the 14 mark, so can I rule out the regulator or is it an intermittent thing? Oh, I took it to the motorcycle shop around the corner and their fancy meter said the battery was bad, which we knew, but the regulator was putting out 14 amps.
The shop tested it and said it was putting out 14 amps and under 14V.. was that at idle.. as your riding you will hold a higher rpm longer and if the voltage goes up the amperage will go up with it when the regulator fails thus causing your overcharge.. I bet most of your riding was during the day. at night time you can see the lights get brighter when you accelerate which usually gives you some idea that the regulator is going.. they shouldn't brighten up too much when you accelerate.. a little variance is normal but it should be minimal and not a drastic change in light power. drastic is bad.

when you test the system this time.. bring the bike up to over 3000 rpm and watch the voltage .. if it goes over 15V no load.. you still have an issue to look at.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I am glad this thread popped up. Big Bertha will start the bike twice and then it will not. Had the battery tested at O'Reilly's. They sad the battery is bad. Going to have to call the shop and see what they are going to do to rectify this. As the battery is supposed to be new and is maybe a month old. Hopefully, it is only a bad 'new' battery and I don't have to start to troubleshoot a charging issue.

fd757 -- Just in case you do not have an owner's &/or a service manual here are links to some.
owners manual: http://www.sloneservices.com/SilverB...r Manual.pdf

service manual: http://www.sloneservices.com/SilverB...anual99-07.pdf

best site for parts: yamahasportscenter.com

all kinds of great info: http://www.sloneservices.com/SilverB...FAQ.htm#Topics

Found this info on this forum located here

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Those links won't work. Any way, I am going to replace my regulator now. I am hoping that is all. This electrical stuff is no beuno!

·
Registered
243 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
my regulator failed last year. i have a battery monitor from custom dynamics. it would read normal but during a long ride at about 150 miles the monitor would warn me my battery was not charging. i figured it was a heat thing. i replaced the regulator with one from a 2005 roadstar, heavy duty.i checked the connector where the wires from the stator going to the regulator connect behind the lower sidecase on the left side of the bike. there is oil coming out thru the wires and the connector is wet.

Nick57, what did you do? How did you solve the issue of the oil and wet connectors?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts