Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
i'll be the young whippersnapper here and shed some light on the tech that may be pushing lead acid and AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) batteries to the side soon, and what i've been using the past few years: lithium iron phosphate batteries, or LiFePO₄, not to be confused with lithium ion batteries - Lithium-ion vs LiFePO4 vs….

some advantages lithium iron phosphate has over lead acid and AGM batteries:
1)less maintenance (no dealing with distilled water and filling it up and such, or trickle charging)
2)lasts up to a year on a single charge without having to recharge or maintain (as long as there is no draw from the vehicle it is housed in)
3)significantly lighter and smaller. my OEM YUASA battery is 6 in. x 3 7⁄16 in. x 4 3⁄8 in., 8.6 lbs. my shorai is 3.4 x 5.8 x 3.5 in., 2.45 lbs
4)lifespan can be up to 10 years, compared to 3-5 years for the others
5)warranties - because of the longer lifespan, a lot of companies selling these are offering longer warranties. my current shorai battery has a 5 year warranty. i've seen some companies offer an 8 year warranty. before i re-wired my bike's LED lighting system it would somehow turn on while i was at work and drain my previous shorai battery. i was able to jump start it and use it for a few days after but the damage was done. shorai replaced it without me even having to send in the bad battery.
6)higher tech - chargers and computers on the batteries themselves can provide info on the charge/voltage/current
7)quicker, and dependable starts. LiFePO₄ aren't susceptible to cold mornings and start up just as quickly as on a hot day with no hesitation.
7b)has more cold crank amps. my OEM YUASA battery has 230 cold crank amps. my shorai has 285
8)you can choose which side to put which polarity when you order

cons:
1)currently LiFePO₄ batteries are considerably more expensive. my shorai battery cost about $150
2)can be more temperamental. if the battery does go dead or overdrained even once, it could be permanently damaged as noted up above
3)lead acid chargers won't work on these. but there are numerous charger options that can do both lead acid and LiFePO₄ battery charging for about the same price

there's probably more, but i think these are the main ones.

Do they suffer from the cold the same way Lithium ion do?

·
Registered
105 Posts
3rd option Rob, pull it and get it load tested.

Harbor Freight sells a load tester that I've heard does the job just fine.d like to own.
@bpounds - I owe you big time, coffee, beer or lunch is on me. I have a digital multimeter that used to test the voltage of the battery of my bike, the voltage test shows - 13.1 Volts. Then I decided to load test the battery with a load test unit that I just bought. The load tester first confirmed the voltage test, as good. However when I ran the load test on the battery the test came back as "Weak" bordering bad. There is a range on the yellow "weak" zone, to the right there is the green area meaning the battery is good. To the left of the weak readout is the red "bad" area, mine is on the low side of the weak yellow section not far from the red bad.

Based on the results of this test, It is safe to assume it's time to order a new battery, funny thing is that the bike starts up just fine, to the touch of the button. Just like bpounds indicated in his post above, my bike is one of those that will sneak up on you because she starts to the touch.

I'm so glad I ran into this thread, thank you to all members of this wonderful forum who take the time out of their busy schedule to contribute / share experiences with the rest of us.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
robbyk

I dont know what your temp was when you load tested the battery

a lead acid battery looses half its energy when you go from 70F to 30F - so if it tested weak at warm temps, it would crap out on you if you tried to start the bike up much below 50F

·
Registered
105 Posts
KCW

I appreciate the quick response. I live in S., CA, when I load tested the battery temp was around 70 deg F or so, day time high. And it is going to stay like this for the next few days. But in the mornings temp drops to around 46 - 48. That worries me a bit, if I try to start the bike in morning low temps the battery will crap out on me, but I can wait until it warms up during the day. I was going to ride to work this morning but decided against it until I replace the battery with a fresh one. Needless to say, I plan on riding this weekend but I will wait until it warms up to at least 62 - 65 degrees to go out for a ride just keeping in mind the condition of the battery.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yesterday afternoon I replaced the battery of my 650 with a fresh one, I love peace of mind. I was still able to ride over the weekend, but every time I stopped the engine I was worried thinking the battery was going crap out on me.
Not bad, new battery $35.91 delivered after 10% Off plus free fast shipping. I placed the order last Friday morning, the battery was delivered Monday.
I would not have caught it if it wasn't for the battery load test that was suggested, the bike starts to the touch of the start button so I can't tell if the engine revs slower. I hope I am not over doing it, as routine maintenance every other fill up, I use an ounce of seafoam per gallon, spark plugs look clean. Hard to get ethanol free gas in my area, the closest gas station that offer pure gas is 18 miles away, and only when I am on that side of town I go there to get gas.

Thank you guys,

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
you dont need to put Seafoam in every other tank, unless you ride the bike intermittently and it might be parked for a month or more

21 - 28 of 28 Posts