Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help - What do ya think I've got going wrong? -

02 650 classic bought last Fall.
Last ride was week before Christmas then sat in the garage with battery tender until yesterday.
Over the winter I added Yammi passing lamps, Diamond Star headlight modulator, and threw in a Sylvania Silverstar replacement headlight bulb. (Triple Whammy also waiting to be installed.)
Yesterday was a nice sunny 40-50 deg day, so took her out for about a 45 min cruise. Got home, parked her in the driveway for a few minutes, went back to put her away and she wouldn't start - dead battery?
Rolled back into garage and put her on battery tender again.
Usually the tender only stays in the charging mode (red light) for a few minutes the goes right to storage (green light).
This time she was in charging mode for hours before the green light started flickering (It was in green mode again this am.).

I pulled battery compartment cover last night :eek:
Seems like there is some sort of plastic cover with wires/fuses ect on outside face of Battery - How does this all come off?

Have the 35w passing lamps overloaded the bike's capacity?
I have no idea how old the battery is, could it be going bad?
If I had stopped somewhere on the road and it was dead, how would I get going again? (Can you jump just like a car?)
New battery availability? (Sears, Napa, AutoZone?)
How about a Volt meter? Has anyone added one on their bike? (I've seen the Kuryaken one with the colored lights but was wondering if anyone used a simpler/cheaper one from an autoparts place.)

Ya I know, lots of dumb newbie questions! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
The passing lamps are OK, and yes you can jump start it, the wiring and fuse are not part of the battery and don't need to be removed.
Battery's can be had everywhere(well just about). Get the same cranking Amps. And yes I would re-place the BATTERY.:D

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
I'm not sure about the significance of the blinking green light from your battery tender but they usually indicate somehow when a battery is no longer useful. I'll see if I can read up on my tender to see what a blinking green means.

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
Just got home from work. Skipped out to the bike shed over today's fresh snowfall to look at my battery tender. On mine, flashing light means "CHECK/REPLACE BATTERY"

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Just got home from work. Skipped out to the bike shed over today's fresh snowfall to look at my battery tender. On mine, flashing light means "CHECK/REPLACE BATTERY"
Yeah, I think it depends on what make/model tender a guy has as to what the lights mean. Since on an 02 you do not know when the last battey was replaced, get a new one. I have found 2-3 years is the good life of one if you ride alot, just me. I know there are exceptions. Ride safe.

·
Registered
239 Posts
You can go through all the checks but chances are that the battery needs replacing. Even if the POers did one replacement that would be at least 4 - 5 years ago. When it comes time for mine I will go with an AGM battery. No worry about an acid leak which I've seen on a couple of bikes.

:)

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
good question about if you can safely jump start a bike by connecting it to a car battery. i would assume so, does anyone know for sure?
I've done a jump start on a GPZ750 years ago from my car. Positve terminal block was just under a plastic cover on the left side up next to the seat. I did this while sitting on it and got a slight jolt into the inseam of my left upper thigh. But, yes, it started right up.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the suggestions guys.
I'm going to try to get some readings off it tonight - first with key on & then while running.
From everything I've read on battery life I figured I'm most likely due for a new battery. Just didn't want to throw a new one in and have something kill that one too.
I'm hoping that the problem was just the added lamps, and maybe the carb heaters?, overpowering a weak battery.
(By the way - My tender has a red light when charging, then green will start to flicker when charging is complete. Red light goes out and green is solid when charged and in storage mode.)

Any other suggestions on best battery to buy and where to buy it?

How about a meter to track battery's condition? - I use to have a great little unit in my motorhome that plugged into cig.lighter showed Time/Temp/Volts. Can't seem to find these anymore. I'm wondering if a cheap auto volt gauge can be adapted?

·
Registered
119 Posts
good question about if you can safely jump start a bike by connecting it to a car battery. i would assume so, does anyone know for sure?
It can be done but you have to be careful. Just don't have the car running when you jump the bike. There will be enough power in the car battery for the jump.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would check the voltage output with the bike running to make sure the charging system is working properly. Should read around 13.5 to 14 Volts.
Lonnie
Was able to check some readings last night -
Took it off tender- 13.25V
Key on- 12.3V
Running- 13.9V
W/lamps- 12.9V

Did some battery shopping online yesterday.
Found a BatteriesPlus Xtreme Permaseal AGM battery.
12V - 11AH - 120 CCA + 1 year warranty
Running about $65 with coupon.
And it's available near my house where I can just go pick it up.
Anyone tried one of these before?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Any 12v auto gauge will work. Just make sure it's waterproof and use RTV over any exposed connections. Did you load test the battery? Disconnect and ground spark leads. measure batt voltage with key on. Measure batt voltage while turning engine over. A drop of more than 2 volts and your battery is toast.

·
Registered
19 Posts
if you are going to get a new battery, i would suggest that you invest in a Deca battery. They may cost you a little more but they are completely sealed and all you do is put them in the bike and take off. They have insane cold cranking amps. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Was able to check some readings last night -
Took it off tender- 13.25V
Key on- 12.3V
Running- 13.9V
W/lamps- 12.9V

Did some battery shopping online yesterday.
Found a BatteriesPlus Xtreme Permaseal AGM battery.
12V - 11AH - 120 CCA + 1 year warranty
Running about $65 with coupon.
And it's available near my house where I can just go pick it up.
Anyone tried one of these before?
Running & W/lamps? Was that at idle? If i remember my Vocational College (Honda sponsored motorcycle repair) a motorcycle charging system doesn't start to work until just above idle. Try the same readings again and raise your rpm to about 1500. If it doesn't read at least 13.4 amps with lights on at 1500rpm i would check gen/alt. Of course it could just be a bad connection?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts