Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

Battery Storage

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  baldddguy 
#1 ·
With the cold weather & snow coming my way in a couple of months the bike will be stored in the garage.
From Nov-March the average temp in the garage is approx. 32 deg -the coldest stretch being Dec-Feb.
What is the best method of keeping battery charged.
I have heard of different methods.
1-Removing battery and storing in heated utility room in the house 2-Leave battery in motorcycle and start motorcycle approx. a couple times per month
3-connect/ keep a continuous small charge to battery.
Based on Midwest weather conditions.
Thoughts??

#2 · (Edited)
When I absolutely will not be using a machine over a period of a few months, I remove the battery put it in a warmer area with a "Battery Tender" on it and keep an eye on the tender to ensure that it is operating. I also make sure that the battery is on a piece of wood if it is on a concrete floor. If I am going to start the machine every so often, I leave the battery installed and put a Battery Tender on it between run ups. Cold really weakens a battery and if they run down(discharge) they can freeze and burst.

#6 ·
I have a Battery Tender Jr. and it does the job. But I recently purchased a PulseTech Extreme charger that not only maintains the charge but also desulfates the battery which, in theory, will increase the performance and life of the battery. Seems a little "black magic" to me but several Ops on another forum in which I'm a member swear by them. A little more expensive then a BTjr. but so far, I like it. Time will tell if works as advertised.

#7 ·
temps here get down to below -30 C overnight in the dead of winter come January and February, and on any motorcycle I've had when I winterize the bike I leave the battery in, and connect to my optimate charger, and it stays on all winter long. batteries are always good as new come spring.

Sent from my K013 using Tapatalk

#8 ·
Live in Ontario Canada and store the bike in the garage from November to April. Hook it up to a battery tender jr and have had no issues for the last 10 years doing this. I routinely replace battery every 6 years as I don't like to tempt fate. Get a nice day in March I can easily unplug it and it's ready to ride.

#9 ·
Reactions: farmalldanzil
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.