Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Being that my SVTC has been put to bed last week, I was curious about when the green 'float' light would shine, on my Battery Tender that the SVTC's battery is connected to. It has been just over a week, and the yellow 'maintenance' light is still lit. That shows you how much of a draw, the sniff-circuit has from the battery, until it shuts down to its dormant state, if within x time, the bike does not sense the proximity key fob signal. So, it does show you that you do need to put this bike on a Battery Tender (not a normal battery charger!) as there is a constant draw against the battery on this bike.

My Kawasaki ZR-7S's Battery Tender, yellow charge light went out in 12 hours, after my last ride, and the green float light, has been lit, ever since. The Battery Tender does exercise the cells over the Winter, by drawing a load...then turning yellow to maintain, to flex the cells, and then goes back to the green float state. That is the difference between a standard battery charger, and a battery 'tender'. They not only charge, but they float..and then will cause a load, exercise the battery and top it back up, between float cycles. I have used a name state, Battery Tender for years...and I have never had the need to ever, replace a battery, no matter what type it was. Year after year...the Battery Tender gets hooked up to the Battery Tender lead that is permanently fixed to all my bikes and lawn care equipment. After every ride... (and lawn care episode) and of course, all Winter long. Do that...and you will never have to replace a battery either. One of my batteries was 14 years old, when I sold the bike with the OEM battery still turning it over with an attitude!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts