Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's every one think about leaving a battery tender connected anytime the bike is parked? Is this a good idea or no? I've heard two opinions:
1. If if ain't broke don't fix it. If the battery starts the bike no probem, it charges when the bike is running and let it rest when it's parked. 2.On the other hand, if it's installed why not use it. It couldn't hurt. I'm undecided. Shouldn't the battery just "rest" between uses? On the other hand the tender is designed to not charge any further when it reaches full charge and should not overcharge. But, I can't help but suspect that it is a good idea to let the battery rest between uses. Any body got some expertise?
Thanks all!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I personnely plug mine in after any ride. It is an awesome little charger in that it will recharge your battery to full operating conditions. Everytime you go to start the bike the battery is in optimum condition and the bike will start easier and the battery will last longer. i have used the tender on any battery, by tractor, dump truck, anything with a battery will work fine. defiately a good unit. dsv

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a Diehard brand (I think) and plug it in after every ride. I have a quick connect that stays on my bike so it's real handy. My only complaint is I wish it had a cap for the receiving end so it won't get dirty or wet.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you have no problem with your battery resting between rides, I see no reason to tender it. In my opinion, battery tenders are for off-season storage and for failing batteries (until you get around to replace it). That's just my opinion. Maybe a tendered battery will last longer, I don't know. I have a tender but only use it for storage. Another thought is that a constantly tendered battery will only tell you its bad when you are away from your home and can't start the bike. :(
Dennis

·
Registered
5 Posts
actually the tender has a series of lights that will flash if the battery is not charging or if their is a problem with the battery which will let you know before you leave. dsv

·
Registered
10 Posts
After riding daily then taking an unavoidable 2 week hiatus, I returned home to a dead battery ('06 V Star 1100 Silverado- original battery). Went to Yamaha dealer where I bought a new battery and a tender. The guy told me that if I ride daily, no need to use the tender between each ride. If she is gonna sit in the garage for more than 3 or 4 days without being ridden then you should plug her in. I too, have the quick connect so the battery stays put and hooking up is a snap.

·
Registered
249 Posts
i have vstar 1100 custom. had to replace the battery about a month ago to get the battery started even with the tender, really dead.

it has been getting a little cold in va at night, 40 last night and unfortunately have to store bike outside. well i had to try to start it just now and it wouldnt start, it would turn over for a while, but never ignite. I put the tender on it for about one hour and it did start. i think in the winter i may keep the tender on it so i can start the motor from time to time. i plan to change oil, add sea foam and top off tank before winter, although it is a bit cold at night .

thanks for all your info here on this site

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
If you have no problem with your battery resting between rides, I see no reason to tender it. In my opinion, battery tenders are for off-season storage and for failing batteries (until you get around to replace it). That's just my opinion. Maybe a tendered battery will last longer, I don't know. I have a tender but only use it for storage. Another thought is that a constantly tendered battery will only tell you its bad when you are away from your home and can't start the bike. :(
Dennis
Here is something else, my brother has an 1100 shadow, always plugged in after riding, no problem. We were in western CO(we live in so IN) stopped, tryed to start, totally dead. His battery was good, but dead, after a lot of grief, found out it was nothing to do with the battery, but the stator was bad, the tender had kept him good with local daily riding, on the trip the stator was the problem did not keep er charged like it should. Just wanted to throw in that piece for thought. :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
From what I've read, one of the main benefits of "Battery Tenders" is that they prevent Sulfation-lots of info on batteries here, probably more than you'd ever want to know. I own and have used a Battery Tender Jr on my ATVs when they were not in use. I found it to be helpful. The Battery Tender website has a very good explanation of how their units work-see Battery Tender FAQ.

That all being said, I've had ATVs that have never had a tender attached and have started fine without. I have the one from my last ATV-sold em all off, no where to ride anymore :~( but that's a different story-and plan on hooking it up to my 950.

Standard disclaimers here- don't work for them, don't own their stock, dont have any relatives in the company etc etc... ;~). Just want to pass along some info in the hopes that someone finds it useful.

Good luck in your decision.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.