Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased battery terminal extender for my 2012 950 Tourer thinking I could add some electrical accessories using this connector keeping a neat wiring job. Help! I am not experienced but would prefer to do my own work if possible. Is there anyone familiar with the installation of the battery terminal extender from electrical connection that could give me some advice and guidance.
Thanks, YammyV

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Augie I became interested in this from reading on the forum at some point. I thought it would be something that would work to add electrical accessories and keep my wiring to this extender without having all connected to battery terminal. I am not experienced and would like some input if this would be a wise way to do this.... The site is:http://electricalconnection.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=20&product_id=128

Thanks, YammyV

·
Registered
179 Posts
Good move. That looks like a handy little fella.

I would:
-Leave the stock connections to battery alone
-Crimp on the ring connectors (one that will fit over battery post) to the extender leads
-Attach the leads to the battery along with stock battery connections(again I'd leave the stockers be...to the battery)
- Tywrap the extender to a hidden yet easy to access location on the motorcycle.
- You're all set.

Thats a handy little piece you've found there. Thanks.

·
Registered
418 Posts
The 950 has a Phillips head screws securing the cables to the battery. The screw should be long enough to accommodate the ring terminal along with the OEM connection.

The extender will do what it is advertised to do. Caution: When installing the terminal to the end of the wire after you have cut it to the desired length and stripped the insulation off, ensure that the crimp is a good crimp. Use a good crimp tool and ensure that the stripped wire area is not too long leaving bare wire exposed after crimping.

To avoid electrical system damage Caution should be taken to remove the ground (-) cable from the battery first, then the positive (+) cable. Reconnect the positive (+) cable first and then the ground (-) cable last.

Good luck Augie

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have been out of town for a few days so have not attempted my project. Thanks for the help everyone. I will let you know how I do with your important inputs.
Ride safe and have a great day!
YammyV :)

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Hey there Yammy. I'm not really too familiar with the 950, and don't really know what your plans are. But you may want to consider a 4 or 6 position terminal block, which you should be able to get at bout any auto parts store, you could mount wherever you can find space and run wire to it. That would eliminate having to pile wires on top of one another on one post. And would keep your wiring more organized so you know which wire goes to what circuit. Just another suggestion thrown out there.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks sonysnek for an added idea. I already purchased the extender and think it will suffice my needs. But will consider relays for future challenges!

Has anyone changed stock horn to Wolo Big Air Horn? Is that an easy change on the 2012 950 T?

Ride safe and enjoy!
YammyV :)

·
Registered
424 Posts
One other caution. When you wire accessories directly to the battery, they are not switched with the ignition switch. You will have to remember to turn them off, or risk a dead battery. Some accessories use "keep-alive" current, such as clocks and station memories on stereos. For that matter, some factory accessories do the same.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts