Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's getting crazy... just heard on local news that a motorcyclist was shot while riding thru the city of Rochester and is in critical condition. What is this world coming too?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Although staying mostly at home, when I do go out I've noticed that some people are less "civil" than usual.
I'm thinking that all this uncertainty is taking a toll on people's mental health. Some people who were on the edge may just go over it. It is sad to see this and I wish there was a solution to get people to relax and be nice to each other.
I have a friend with anxiety issues and he was a mess until he got him meds adjusted.
Unfortunately we will no doubt hear more of these kinds of stories.
Peace Love

·
Registered
572 Posts
I drive for a living and people are getting kooky out there. Last month I watched a jeep liberty try to pass a line of 8 cars in a massive rush.

He got past 3 before his hood popped up and smashed into his windshield. He got onto the shoulder ok but probably was trying to figure what to say to his insurance company.😁

·
Registered
222 Posts
What is this world coming too
What I'm seeing is a whole lot of selfish. Many folks putting themselves above everybody else. If they don't care about others, they don't care about society. That makes it justified to break laws, take action into their own hands, and generally misbehave. Folks being selfish for many years, more excuses to do so now. Bottom line,
Ride safe. Think safer! Show you care!

·
Registered
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring, '81 XS650SH Project
576 Posts
Here is the DC area (I live in Northern Virginia), I heard about motorcycle mishaps every day this week. They are talking about one right now on the radio.

Some of these are the motorcyclists' fault. Maybe even more than other drivers. That is not to take away from the first post on this thread. I too see a lot more aggression or distraction of late. Distraction seems to be the leading cause of cagers trying to kill us. Obviously this is not the same as being shot at. Twice this year I have been in the passing lane on the freeway when a work vehicle has tried to occupy my lane with me. The first one was quite peculiar. I was along side the rear tire of a 1-ton work truck loaded with side boxes and ladder atop the bed frame. He started merging into the left lane as I was passing him by at least 5 MPH higher speed. I blew my quite loud horn and began heading towards the shoulder expecting the driver to pull back towards the right. Nope! We made eye contact as he continued to come towards me forcing me to cross over on to the shoulder. He just mean mugged me as I rapidly pulled ahead. The hard hitting torque of the Rocket III does come in handy for emergencies like this. This guy deliberately tried to kill me I feel. The other guy in a similar vehicle pulled back when he heard my horn.

This is my biggest threat in this area and it happens 1-3 times a week. I am always on alert for these people and so far, came out ok.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
The more congested the area the more agression there seems to be. Also seems to be far more less apologized when cagers notice they are pushing out of your lane.
I have found the Wolo air horn, I installed, does scare the a$$hats enough to get out of my lane.

Ride smart! Ride often!

·
Registered
572 Posts
I have seen videos of people trying to kick cars and accidentally knocking themselves over. So I don't kick, they can mess you up a lot easier then they think.
A fella 2 years ago got into a road rage incident and the car driver pushed him into oncoming traffic. Man was in hospital for months, driver got 3 months and a fine.
I would rather go home in one peice and imagine what I would do if I ever found that person again then massive injuries. (No hospital bills as I am in Canada)
But each to their own.

·
Registered
2001 Yamaha XVS650 Dragstar Classic and 1999 Honda NT650V Deauville
409 Posts
In traffic, I have always been paranoid, ever since I first took to riding back in 1980. Or before, really, riding a bicycle. Part personal experience, big part parental advice.

In Norway, you need to take lessons and have both a written and practical exam before you can ride or drive anything on public roads. I still remember my first riding lesson, when I was to follow the teacher around, him driving a Volvo 240, me riding a Yamaha RS100. I also remember the shock when he went past every side road without slowing - here, you have to stop for all traffic coming from your right unless the road you are on is marked right of way. It was very difficult for me to follow him since the Yamaha was limited to 7hp and I slowed to 20 mph every 100 yards while he kept going at 35 mph or so. And the speed limit was 50 kph (31 mph).

With the attitude that everybody is out to get me, I have had very, very few incidents in city traffic over the years. There have been the odd mistake on my part, mistakes made by others, and drivers actually doing their best to wipe me out. Permanently. But I never force my rights - I'd much rather look like a loser than ending up in an ambulance. Or worse. I just wish I had the same attitude out on the rural roads, where I have been pushing like a moron. And paid the price on a number of times. Luckily, I've only harmed myself. And plenty of motorcycles.

·
Registered
46 Posts
In traffic, I have always been paranoid, ever since I first took to riding back in 1980. Or before, really, riding a bicycle. Part personal experience, big part parental advice.

In Norway, you need to take lessons and have both a written and practical exam before you can ride or drive anything on public roads. I still remember my first riding lesson, when I was to follow the teacher around, him driving a Volvo 240, me riding a Yamaha RS100. I also remember the shock when he went past every side road without slowing - here, you have to stop for all traffic coming from your right unless the road you are on is marked right of way. It was very difficult for me to follow him since the Yamaha was limited to 7hp and I slowed to 20 mph every 100 yards while he kept going at 35 mph or so. And the speed limit was 50 kph (31 mph).

With the attitude that everybody is out to get me, I have had very, very few incidents in city traffic over the years. There have been the odd mistake on my part, mistakes made by others, and drivers actually doing their best to wipe me out. Permanently. But I never force my rights - I'd much rather look like a loser than ending up in an ambulance. Or worse. I just wish I had the same attitude out on the rural roads, where I have been pushing like a moron. And paid the price on a number of times. Luckily, I've only harmed myself. And plenty of motorcycles.
Yeah, I use to force my rights. I don't do that anymore.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Although staying mostly at home, when I do go out I've noticed that some people are less "civil" than usual.
I'm thinking that all this uncertainty is taking a toll on people's mental health. Some people who were on the edge may just go over it. It is sad to see this and I wish there was a solution to get people to relax and be nice to each other.
I have a friend with anxiety issues and he was a mess until he got him meds adjusted.
Unfortunately we will no doubt hear more of these kinds of stories.
Peace Love
I've noticed that folks are just 100% ass behind the wheel now. Makes NASCAR look like a kiddie ride sometimes. I used to enjoy moving along a little in the center or left lane, but now I sit on the right and let the wolf packs pass. At on ramps though...folks just don't know what yield means or how to do it.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Here is the DC area (I live in Northern Virginia), I heard about motorcycle mishaps every day this week. They are talking about one right now on the radio.

Some of these are the motorcyclists' fault. Maybe even more than other drivers. That is not to take away from the first post on this thread. I too see a lot more aggression or distraction of late. Distraction seems to be the leading cause of cagers trying to kill us. Obviously this is not the same as being shot at. Twice this year I have been in the passing lane on the freeway when a work vehicle has tried to occupy my lane with me. The first one was quite peculiar. I was along side the rear tire of a 1-ton work truck loaded with side boxes and ladder atop the bed frame. He started merging into the left lane as I was passing him by at least 5 MPH higher speed. I blew my quite loud horn and began heading towards the shoulder expecting the driver to pull back towards the right. Nope! We made eye contact as he continued to come towards me forcing me to cross over on to the shoulder. He just mean mugged me as I rapidly pulled ahead. The hard hitting torque of the Rocket III does come in handy for emergencies like this. This guy deliberately tried to kill me I feel. The other guy in a similar vehicle pulled back when he heard my horn.

This is my biggest threat in this area and it happens 1-3 times a week. I am always on alert for these people and so far, came out ok.
Riding his rear wheel, continuing to pass, (on the shoulder no less), after he showed he obviously had no regard for your safety. You put that kind of driver behind you, in traffic?
Gives you zero control of the situation when a nut is behind you.

·
Registered
2001 VStar 650 Classic
419 Posts
In the last couple of months we had a surge of tailgaters in the Southern CA (SoCal). I usually drive / ride anywhere between 69 - 70 MPH, the posted speed limit is 65 MPH. Seems to me that the speed limits posted on SoCal roads are for illustration purposes, other drivers are tailgating me and passing me way faster than my current speed. First thing that comes to my mind is " the speed limit is 65MPH " so why are you tailgating me?.

I hate tailgaters.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts