Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,617 Posts
If I am being tail-gated when driving my car, I no longer worry because the crash (if they fail to stop when I do) will be gentle. If, OTOH, I have somebody up my arse when riding, I slow down*, turn around, give them a stern eye and wave them back. Only once did I have to do it twice, the other times the followers have slowed right down. Ladies often give 2-300 yards of room afterwards.

*If it is a truck/semi/bus etc., I either speed away if I can, or turn off the road and let them past - I do not need an angry truck driver with 25 tons of steel following me.
I do the same thing on my bike if I'm being tailgated. It's always worked so far. If I get an a$$hat that doesn't get it I'm not going to challenge him or slow down on my bike. Cage, maybe. I'll just find a way to get away from him on my bike. Like Hyde said, no health costs here in the Great White North, but I don't want to end up in the hospital.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
7,990 Posts
Wobble was much worst in the early 70s thru the 80s until manufacturers made frames stiffer. I ran a damper on all my race bikes and street sport bikes back then like the one below. Damn, I've been on two wheels for a loooog time.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Wobble was much worst in the early 70s thru the 80s until manufacturers made frames stiffer. I ran a damper on all my race bikes and street sport bikes back then like the one below. Damn, I've been on two wheels for a loooog time.

View attachment 97346
While the dampener is great fix. An inherent wobble is a design flaw.

Ride smart! Ride often!

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
7,990 Posts

Ride smart! Ride often!
You are correct. It took manufacturers a while to build frames to handle the weight and speeds during that time. Most wobbles today are not frame related but tire, wheel, alignment or bearing issue.

·
Registered
2001 Yamaha XVS650 Dragstar Classic and 1999 Honda NT650V Deauville
409 Posts
Well, yes and no. Racing motorcycles are made to steer as quickly and effortlessly as possible, to save time and energy. This also means you get closer and closer to the edge of instability. The bike may run fine up to top speed, but sometimes it only takes a bump to set off a wobble.

However, the low speed wobble is not quite the same as a high speed wobble, and I will agree that the low speed wobble should not be present and is the cause of poor design.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I come from a family of engineers. (Electrical, structural, mechanical, & chemical.)

The wobble at any speed just doesn't sit well.

I will accept during the process of designing & testing there will be "hiccups." However ...

The end result should be a picture beauty. Like God himself, snapped his fingers & there it was.

Because of what I said above. It's why I never get the first model of just about anything. The kinks have not all been worked out.
Yes, the designers & engineers are smart! But they are no match for the stupidity of the general populus in putting a product thru every inconceivable test imaginable.

Ride smart! Ride often!

·
Premium Member
2018 SVTC
2,729 Posts
I come from a family of engineers. (Electrical, structural, mechanical, & chemical.)

The wobble at any speed just doesn't sit well.

I will accept during the process of designing & testing there will be "hiccups." However ...

The end result should be a picture beauty. Like God himself, snapped his fingers & there it was.

Because of what I said above. It's why I never get the first model of just about anything. The kinks have not all been worked out.
Yes, the designers & engineers are smart! But they are no match for the stupidity of the general populus in putting a product thru every inconceivable test imaginable.

Ride smart! Ride often!
That was well said @Scrumdown . Particularly poignant on the last statement. 👍

·
Registered
380 Posts
Besides our own skills & be aware of the a$$hats around us to keep us safe.
We also have to have a well maintained motorcycle. Proper functioning brakes, good tread on the tires, etc.

It's like I posted in another thread about the front wobble on my bike between 28 & 35 mph.
Is it rideable? Yes.
Is it 100% safe & functional? No.

So I have it at a friend's house while the weather people figure out where/what Hurricane Isaias is doing. As well as I will be ordering wheel bearings for the front & rear. And I will be bleeding all brakes too. Also, I think while I have the wheels off. I will have them rebalanced.

Ride smart! Ride often!
Excellent point about the physical condition of our bikes and how that relates to being safe. Great post.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts