Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on the last leg of a 550 km ride going through a medium size town. I had just passed the last stop light and traffic was starting to speed up. I was in the left lane on the 4 lane. There was a pickup beside me and I had a box truck in front of me. All of a sudden the box truck made a hard lane change in front of the pick up. The truck just missed the pick up and I looked at it and thought WTF was his problem. Then I noticed why he did it. There was a vehicle stoppedin the leftane with no brake or turn signal lights. I said Oh S and grabbed brakes. I got on the brakes too hard as the bike went sideways when the rear locked. I got off the brake then reapplied and the rear stepped out to the right. I thought I was going to low side so I stuck out my left leg and jammed it on the pavement. The bike straightened up and I stopped about 2 feet from his rear bumper
When I jammed my leg out I shock loaded my hip and blew the bursa sack. My entire leg is purple and for a week now walking is a bitch. I peeled all the skin off of my big toe somehow and it hurts like H. Bottom line is I broke my own rules of. Always position yourself so you have a way out. Never ride so close that you can't see what is ahead of you. Give yourself lots of breaking room and stay alert. I have been riding since 1972 so I am no newbe but by not paying attention and breaking my own rules I almost kissed the pavement. I am still sore as H but the bike stayed upright and I learned or relearned my lesson

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The problem was I couldn't go into the right lane because the pick up was on the brakes so he wouldn't rear end the box truck and I couldn't go around the stopped vehicle because of on coming traffic and the fact that he may turn left. If he did turn left he would have turned into me. I chalked it up to brain fade and kicked myself in the ass as I could blame the vehicle for not having working lights or the box truck driver for not noticing that the vehicle was stopped but in fact it was my fault for putting myself in a position of not having an out. Bruises heal and the lesson was learned.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I find that always having your 'exit paths' (plural) in mind is the hardest thing to remember/adhere to when riding. I'm certainly guilty of not doing so. Sucks that you're injured, but glad it wasn't worse. Don't beat yourself up too much, you coulda done a lot worse / been hurt a lot worse. The very sequence of events/thoughts you run through shows more skill than many would be able to display.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes it could have been a lot worse. I joked with a buddy who rides that my Royal Star Venture doesn't flat track anywhere near as well as my dirt bike. I will never know if sticking my foot out saved me from the low side but I didn't go down. The big bruise on the back of my leg matches up real nice with the heal part of the heal toe shifter. Went for a ride after supper today and there was a thunder storm moving in. I really liked the small changes in temperature I could feel and I could smell the storm coming. Then the wind picked up a bit and I watched the sky turn black. Made it home just as the rain started. Damn it is great to be on a bike. Just don't get that in a cage.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just one more comment. My riding buddy said that "Shreik it is a good thing you are 6 ft 5 and 300+ pounds ". I didn't know if I should laugh or hit him ********* So I laughed and poured him another Scotch

·
Registered
418 Posts
Glad to hear that you are kinda OK. That's sounds like what we pilots refer to as: "Flying Into A Box Canyon". Good thing you were alone and didn't have a group with you. :(

·
Registered
417 Posts
Glad you are not hurt worse than you are and glad you didn't go down.

I appreciate the reminder. Today as I rode to and from my office twice (I forgot my keys), I caught myself creeping up and following too close, not tailgating, but too close for safe riding. Your situation is a good reminder on several levels.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Glad yer reasonably ok. I think we're all guilty of the same thing from time to time. Just feels so good riding at times that we seem to forget there are other people out there not payin attention too.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
On your next bike you may want to consider ABS.
I have thought about the idea of abs. However being an old guy and kind of old school I don't want to depend on rider aids to get me out of a brain fart problem.
Not having the electronics means I have to actually PAY attention at all times. This incident was caused by my not paying proper attention to what was going on around me.
And thanks guys for your concern. I have been back on the bike. Still a bit stiff and sore but old guys heal a little slower. It will all be OK.
Ride safe all.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Agree with earlier comment, you displayed more so than most just keeping it rubber side down... And kudos for being humble about it..

A great reminder for all of us. Ride safe and ride on!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I was on the last leg of a 550 km ride going through a medium size town. I had just passed the last stop light and traffic was starting to speed up. I was in the left lane on the 4 lane. There was a pickup beside me and I had a box truck in front of me. All of a sudden the box truck made a hard lane change in front of the pick up. The truck just missed the pick up and I looked at it and thought WTF was his problem. Then I noticed why he did it. There was a vehicle stoppedin the leftane with no brake or turn signal lights. I said Oh S and grabbed brakes. I got on the brakes too hard as the bike went sideways when the rear locked. I got off the brake then reapplied and the rear stepped out to the right. I thought I was going to low side so I stuck out my left leg and jammed it on the pavement. The bike straightened up and I stopped about 2 feet from his rear bumper
When I jammed my leg out I shock loaded my hip and blew the bursa sack. My entire leg is purple and for a week now walking is a bitch. I peeled all the skin off of my big toe somehow and it hurts like H. Bottom line is I broke my own rules of. Always position yourself so you have a way out. Never ride so close that you can't see what is ahead of you. Give yourself lots of breaking room and stay alert. I have been riding since 1972 so I am no newbe but by not paying attention and breaking my own rules I almost kissed the pavement. I am still sore as H but the bike stayed upright and I learned or relearned my lesson

There was an motorcycle accident just like you described near my house. When the guy in left lane jumped over into right lane the motorcycle behind him did not have time to stop and ran right into the back of a pickup with tailgate down. Sorry to say he didn't live. You really have to be careful out there, I'm just as guilty as the next guy but this one made me really think .

Live to ride, Ride to Eat.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Really incredible how you managed to avoid a lot worse!
And quite the reminder to expect anything and everything....

I hope you'll be as new again soon! And keep on riding safely :).

Kind regards, Wim

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A old rider once told me that if situation doesn't feel right or you get that uneasy feeling then change your position in the traffic. I could see the possibility of getting myself boxed in and I let it happen then I got a surprise. I should have taken positive action sooner.

·
Registered
609 Posts
"old rider" = right there a good sign to pay attention...

I always think about it in options. For instance, if a cager is tailgating you. You have these options:

1) Slow down and teach 'em a lesson. Na-na-na-na-nah-nah. Take that, moron....

2) Gun it, and show them, unless they're driving a Bugatti, your bike can kick the s**t outta them (that's kick the "snot" our of them, just for the record).

3) Pull over and let them go by and be a dick to someone else. Smile and wave as they pass, and wish them and everyone driving around them a safe and happy day on the road.

#3 is obviously the right way to go. #3 is also the hardest one to do. I've been guilty many times of #1 or #2 on an "I'll show you!" basis. Which amounts to giving in to ego instead of brain.

I'm the first to admit that I like, enjoy and have given into #1 and #2 on occasion, and absolutely done so from a "f**k you" basis (again, for the record, that's "frik you"). And the same dynamic applies to about 1,000 situations. But those are both "ego rather than brain" situations.

Brain over ego is smart riding. Brain over ego is what "old" riders have learned. Brain over ego is NOT the easiest or most "satisfying" way to go.

But if you ride with your brain, not your ego, in charge, you'll almost automatically make the right choices.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Thank you for the post. Only been riding for 10 years and the first 2 I was wary (or scared) of everything but over time complacency sets in and you get over confident. A post like this serves to remind us all that we are targets out there and we better be alert to the dangers.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Way back I was a motorcycle instructor with a safety council. We taught the students something that sounds like it counterdicts itself. That was to stay safe on the streets you have to ride in a defensive aggressive manner. That meant you had to be defensive in making sure you are aware of what is going on around you and take aggressive action to position you self in a safe or safer position in the traffic. Sometimes that means travelling slightly faster than the traffic flow so you are doing the overtaking and not being passed by a lot of traffic where the possibility of being cut off or squeezed in your lane. A lot of accidents are caused by stupid cage drivers but a lot are also caused by riders not being aware of what is going on around them.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts