Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been thinking for a while about becoming a lineman. Looks like interesting work, pretty good pay and you get to travel. Obviously, the work is very dangerous but still looks interesting. I've been researching it but a lot of the info online is pretty old. If anyone could give some insight on this career it would be great!

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
Its not so much dangerous. As long as the lines you are working on are tagged out, you are handling wire and equipment same as any other electrician.

If you are working with a bunch of idiots, who will turn a circuit on while you are working on it, then yeah, you are dead. But that could happened to just about anyone that is working with irresponsible people on their team.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
I worked for a cable company for a few months about 20 years ago (one of those "I'll take it until something better comes along" jobs). I didn't mind the work but I couldn't make the boot spikes work. For some reason I could climb a few steps then I just froze. I knew that the spikes and harness would grip the pole but my legs simply wouldn't listen to my head. So I had to carry a damn extension ladder to every pole I needed to climb.

Of course, I wasn't working with the power lines so there was little danger of electrocution, but like KCW said, as long as you're working with properly trained people the danger shouldn't be too bad. They'd have to pay me a whole lot of money to go climbing poles in an ice or snow storm though.

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
its funny all the comments on that video, people are amazed at how well the pilot can fly the helicopter

Its flying in an autopilot mode, not by the seat of his pants. The pilot tells the autopilot which direction he wants to move, and how fast, and it controls the aircraft completely.

Search and rescue helicopters fly the same way, when they get over a person that needs to be lifted, the pilot hits the 'park' button, and that aircraft does not waver by more than inches.

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
^ I resisted quoting lyrics and being accused of spreading earworms...

I hear you singing in the wires, I can hear you thru the whine...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts