Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

Bedding down for winter???

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  dmill1220 
#1 ·
I hope this would fit into this forum. Its getting close to that time of the season, Im wondering what has to be done to the bike to keep her comfortable over the long winter.

So of us cant be as lucky as you guys that get to ride all year long! :(

#2 ·
I installed the pigtail for a charger today. It's a automatic trickle charger I can leave plugged in all winter.

I'll fill the tank with gas and a can of Stabil when it's time to park it. Adding a teaspoon of oil down each cylinder and turning the engine over (with the plugs removed/or wires off) always works good in a humid enviroment. Then I'll throw the cover over it, get a real cover not just an old sheet. Finally I'll check it out every few weeks and hope we get a Jan. thaw where I can get it out for a noon time spin. Then put it back for two or three more months. :(

#4 ·
I just keep my bikes indoors in my add on porch for the winter after an oil change.

I open my windows and start them every week and Run them for approx 10 to 15 minutes, and I keep the gas tanks full, I just keep stable in the fuel tank and I roll them forward or backwards a little every week so that Flat spots are no problems. Up here where I live in New Hampshire it gets pretty darn cold!

I have been doing it this way for years with all my bikes, and no problems so far, but if I had to let it sit without running them at all, I would definitely take all storage precautions.

What would I do if I had to store all winter long without starting ?

1) fill my gas tanks
2) add fuel stabilizer and let run for 25 minutes
3) Remove spark plugs add 1 teaspoon of oil in each cylinder and crank the engine over a couple of times, replace spark plugs
4) Remove the battery and store it in a warm room and charge it monthly,
5) Shut off the fuel valve and drain the carburetor bowls
6) Drain or replace the engine oil and filter if needed
7) wipe down any chrome with a very light machine oil
8) bag my exhaust pipes with sandwich baggies and rubber bands
9) Keep it covered with a breathable bike cover
10) keep it as protected from the elements as much as possible
11) check periodically for any Rust.

Dennis

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.