Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been a lurker for awhile just browsing the forums and learning things about the bike, and finally decided to join up. I picked up a 99’ 650 and it’s been a little project over the last 5 months.

·
Registered
5,538 Posts
you have really torn into that 650

All my early experience on motorcycles was on dirt bikes, having a bigger front wheel looks right to me - Ive always thought the 650 classic looks a bit odd with its stock smaller front wheel.

It looks good with the stock air filter bowl gone, more like my Royal Star.

If you want to mask it a little more, those chrome valve covers over the top of the head are fake covers, they have no function. Ive seen a few 650s with them removed.

BTW, is that lady just sitting on the fender? I has no side rails...

·
Super Moderator
6,228 Posts
Welcome to the forum from East Tennessee. Nice intro and with pics, impressive!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thank you!!!!! I have pegs that I mounted that tuck up and one of those suction cup pillion pads for the fender lol and I built braces that run from the swingarm to the rear of the fender. My 225lb buddy stood on it and it doesn’t budge lol. It was some steel fender my buddy had in his shed that I chopped up to fit, and welded it to the swingarm. It’s not the most comfy ride but she rode all weekend and about 200 miles of Thunder Beach with me!! And ya I’ve been dabbling with some more thoughts on the bike, I’ve actually replaced the engine in it as well. Removed all the emissions pipes and canister, moved the horn down into that little spot out of the way. Changed triple trees to a 6 degree rake, Harley front axle, wheel and rotor. I like the airbox gone too, I went with that S&S big air kit and their jet kit.

I had originally painted it this Carbon Mist color when I first got it

And I went to redo the rear fender after it got scratched up and when I stripped it down, I really liked the bare metal look so I stripped the whole bike and just cleared it. My new Harley front fender came bare already so I just cleared it too.

·
2,345 Posts
Welcome from Atlantic Canada. I love the bare metal look. Came out really nice.

·
Registered
5,538 Posts
I see the braces on the rear of the fender now

its hard to tell with these bikes, the swing arm and mono shock are hidden so well, it looks like a hard tail when its stock

did you remove the rear shock and spring and weld the swing arm in, or is the passenger sitting on the sprung swing arm/fender?

200 miles on a hard tail is hard core.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks!!! I thought about getting a dentless tank for it after I had to sand all the bondo out, but I think it adds some character

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I see the braces on the rear of the fender now

its hard to tell with these bikes, the swing arm and mono shock are hidden so well, it looks like a hard tail when its stock

did you remove the rear shock and spring and weld the swing arm in, or is the passenger sitting on the sprung swing arm/fender? I drilled the pegs on so I can put a pin in them to keep them up when not in use

200 miles on a hard tail is hard core.
It’s still a soft tail but I have a lot of people ask the same question because it has a hard tail look. She sits on the fender/swingarm with its travel. Says it’s not bad except for some of those nasty bumps, but she loves riding with me

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,003 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts