Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...figured I'd stop in and see what's going on here. Riding a V Star 1100.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Welcome Mick. Nothing in here but us old farts, but shuffle board is available and on Tuesdays we play Bingo......pot luck once a month, but don't bring anything that'll break a dental bridge, ok......?

Enjoy the ride; embrace the joy.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Welcome from where ever i may be :D

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Welcome aboard. I would like to know who they're calling old farts. Your only as old as you feel and when I ride I feel like I'm 20 again.Nice lookin scoot. Ride safe and keep the shiny side up.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi Mick! I notice you have apes on your star. How do you find them on long trips compared to the stockers? I like the look, but want to do some travelling on the bike.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Mick! I notice you have apes on your star. How do you find them on long trips compared to the stockers? I like the look, but want to do some travelling on the bike.
That was the main reason I went to these bars....comfort on long rides. I've tried about every other type of bar out there and nothing comes close. I used to get a little tightness or soreness in my shoulders and neck, especially early season, but have none of that now.

I talked to a lot of guys running apes before I did the switch and the general consensus is that they are the most comfortable bars you can ride with.

I just went with 12" 1 1/4" bars, so they aren't really very tall compared to some. I just like the look of the shorter ones better.

·
Registered
46 Posts
That was the main reason I went to these bars....comfort on long rides. I've tried about every other type of bar out there and nothing comes close. I used to get a little tightness or soreness in my shoulders and neck, especially early season, but have none of that now.

I talked to a lot of guys running apes before I did the switch and the general consensus is that they are the most comfortable bars you can ride with.

I just went with 12" 1 1/4" bars, so they aren't really very tall compared to some. I just like the look of the shorter ones better.
I'll have to check with one of the local inspection stations before I get apes. I believe there's some rule about 17.5" above the seat being the max height. I like the look of the shorter-ish ones as well. It's kind of funny, because the way they lean forward at the top it looks as if they would be less comfortable.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll have to check with one of the local inspection stations before I get apes. I believe there's some rule about 17.5" above the seat being the max height. I like the look of the shorter-ish ones as well. It's kind of funny, because the way they lean forward at the top it looks as if they would be less comfortable.
One thing nice about apes is that you can easily move them forward and back to find that "sweet spot" where you're comfortable. I think if you look at most bikes with apes, you'll see them tilted slightly forward because of the angle of the forks. I've got 6* raked trees so that adds to it even more. There is so much adjustment that you;re sure to find the perfect spot.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts