Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike has developed a chirp/squeak coming from the rear. I can not tell if it is coming from the belt or the pulley. Spinning the rear wheel off the ground seems to make the chirp occur in the same location of the belt every time. I have inspected the belt the best I can with it still on the bike, and it looks great. The bike only has 19,500 miles on it, so I assume the belt has the same. A buddy I was riding with suggested spraying the bike down with water just to see if there might me some dirt or something causing it. It worked while it was wet, but as soon as it dried, the chirp reappeared. Given this limited information, what would you say the problem is? Belt? Rear pulley? Rear tire bearing? Or possibly something I haven't considered? I had my rear tire changed about 2500 miles ago, but if it didn't have the proper tension, wouldn't I have known it before now? Also, will it hurt to ride it in this condition?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Imperative that you check that nut on the front pulley. If you catch it early enough, you can save the output shaft. If you don't it's megabucks to repair. (Speaking from experience.) Hopefully, it isn't loose and it's just a belt squeak. Only one way to know for sure and that's check it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts