Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have only had my 09 vstar 950 for a week. Bought it used from a dealer. Rode for a couple of days and then starting hearing sqeeking from the belt. Took it back and they loosend the belt up a bit. The noise that I was getting from the front pulls location is now gone so that's good. But I am hearing a winning sound at speed from the rear tire location. Best way I can explain it is it almost sounds like the tire is rubbing. ( but it's not) I am a very big guy and have the suspension adjusted as hard as possible. It changes with speed ie faster= louder etc. But after running a lower speed twisty road today it seems to have lessened but still there. I am wondering if it an alignment thing? And the twistys moved something around? I really have no idea.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sounds like the belt may have tracked against the edge of the rear pulley. All it takes is for the rear wheel to be a hair out of alignment. I've read where others on here have taken chain oil and rubbed it along the edge of the belt and the squeak went away.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like the belt may have tracked against the edge of the rear pulley. All it takes is for the rear wheel to be a hair out of alignment. I've read where others on here have taken chain oil and rubbed it along the edge of the belt and the squeak went away.
I just went out and looked and yes the belt is sitting on the otter edge of the rear pulley. I'll try the chain oil tomorrow and see if that helps. I'll also look into getting the rear wheel allinged

Thanks.

·
Administrator
16,501 Posts
it is normal for the belt to track along the outside of the rear pulley. but as suggested, chain lube sprayed along the outer edge should help. of course, i would check belt tension again, no tighter than 7mm, and wheel alignment. and make sure there's no rocks or anything else stuck in the belt itself.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts