Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Vstar 950. Candy Red.
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is a correctly aligned rear wheel always going to have the belt nicely centered on the rear pulley or is the belt going to slide around side to side some?

During oil change today I noticed the belt on my vstar 950 was touching the outboard rail of the rear wheel pulley. Does not look at all worn. Haven't noticed any noises or problems. Centering it would require a 1/16" shift to the right. Not much spare room on that pulley. After a short ride, it's still in the same spot.

Hate to expose myself to comments, but you know how it is... my first belt driven bike and I'm clueless. My manual doesn't mention it and google has failed me this afternoon. I figure we have this forum, why not use it?

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
6,699 Posts

·
Administrator
13,683 Posts
Here's a post about 950 belt. Read about half way down and bevo states belt should be on outer position on rear pulley.
i'm not sure if it should be tracking towards the outside of the pulley, but that's normal for all 950s. so maybe it is by design. my current belt has over 60K miles on it and no considerable wear along the edge.

Hate to expose myself to comments, but you know how it is...
?? the forums are the place to ask questions.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Most all belt driven V Stars, the belt tracks to the outside of the wheel pulley. This is because the drive (front) pulley and wheel pulley are not centered on the same plane. If you take the front drive pulley cover off, you will find that the belt is dead center when it rides to the outside of the rear pulley.

So perfectly normal.

Attachments

·
Registered
2010 Vstar 950. Candy Red.
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, folks. I'm worry free again. Here's the money quote from Bevo that LesBlank directed me towards:

"make sure the belt is tracking towards the outside of the rear pulley. if you're still not sure, then i'd take it to a Yamaha service shop. when i took my bike in to a well respected and experienced independent mechanic, he ended up having to consult with both Yamaha HQ and the local Yamaha service shop to diagnose the issue."

Also Baron58 confirms:
"Most all belt driven V Stars, the belt tracks to the outside of the wheel pulley. This is because the drive (front) pulley and wheel pulley are not centered on the same plane. If you take the front drive pulley cover off, you will find that the belt is dead center when it rides to the outside of the rear pulley."

Thanks, everyone. I should have used the forum search facilities rather than google. Even if you find the right topic on a google search it will (99% of the time) be a HD oriented video or article. Now I know. Come here first.

Also, it just makes sense since there is so little room for side to side movement on the rear pulley anyway. It would be such a tiny range of movement to either side to be off dead center that it just doesn't seem rational to expect it to be centered. Confirmation is a wonderful thing.

Happy riding, y'all. I'm expecting clearance from the doc very soon to climb back on. The knee is ready. I'm ready. The weather is here.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts