Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been contemplating putting lower windscreens on my 950 but would like to hear both the positives and negatives from anyone(s) with practical experience or first hand observation.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I had them on my 950 and loved them. Get the widest ones you can find. Some of the cheaper ones are narrow and don't work as well.
If you are trying to cut down wind turbulence they do help quite a bit.
I now them on my 1700 Nomad.
Wouldn't have a bike without them

·
Premium Member
2006 Yamaha 650 V Star Classic Cruiser.
152 Posts
There are no negatives with fitting a windscreen to a motorcycle. I have been running one for over 15 years now and would not be without one. I went for too many years without one. I tried a smaller screen years ago but it was little better than no windscreen. Windscreens and cruiser motorcycles just go together. Along with big crash bars and panniers they all make a cruiser bike complete and ready for touring. The bigger windscreen puts the air flow over the top of my helmet stopping bugs getting on my face and dark glasses. I always wear an open face helmet and without the screen I used to get bug splatter on my face which was a real bummer but with the screen no problems. Windscreens are on the motorcycles of people that understand what real motorcycling is all about.

My windscreen is a National Cycle. It fit strait up with no worries using the National Cycle Mounting Kit. It adjusts up and down for height and angle backwards and forwards.

·
Registered
2010 Stratoliner Deluxe
236 Posts
BTW: I assume you are talking about lowers and not the actual windshield itself?

The plus is that 90 prevent of the wind buffeting I got on my 1300 and Strat came from below the tank. The 1300 was almost unrideable at interstate speed. Used Memphis Shades lowers with a National Cycle Switchblade/Chopped and MS Batwing. The lowers make a huge difference. On my Stratoliner, thankfully JB Manufacturing started making the Bucks Lowers style. Work even better and look good.

The drawbacks? Aesthetics. The Memphis Shades look cheap and awkward to me, but work well. The National Cycle chrome lowers, look good and work good but are heavey, proprietary, and only come in chrome.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BTW: I assume you are talking about lowers and not the actual windshield itself?

The plus is that 90 prevent of the wind buffeting I got on my 1300 and Strat came from below the tank. The 1300 was almost unrideable at interstate speed. Used Memphis Shades lowers with a National Cycle Switchblade/Chopped and MS Batwing. The lowers make a huge difference. On my Stratoliner, thankfully JB Manufacturing started making the Bucks Lowers style. Work even better and look good.

The drawbacks? Aesthetics. The Memphis Shades look cheap and awkward to me, but work well. The National Cycle chrome lowers, look good and work good but are heavey, proprietary, and only come in chrome.
Yup, it already has a windscreen which is why I specified "lowers". The ones's I'm familiar with are the Memphis Shades though on their website it states turn signals may have to be relocated. Did you have to do that? The JB ones are apparently cut for whichever engine guard is on the bike. Mine were already on the bike when I bought it so I have no idea who made them.

I have a mid-height? deflector/spoiler style on mine. It puts the airflow just over my helmet.
Fits perfect...
That's nice but as I stated "lower" windscreens/deflectors not low cut (low profile) upper windscreens.

Here's the front of the bike.

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Bicycle handlebar

·
Registered
2010 Stratoliner Deluxe
236 Posts
Yup, it already has a windscreen which is why I specified "lowers". The ones's I'm familiar with are the Memphis Shades though on their website it states turn signals may have to be relocated. Did you have to do that? The JB ones are apparently cut for whichever engine guard is on the bike. Mine were already on the bike when I bought it so I have no idea who made them.
No turn signal relocation necessary. I think that's a catch all statement. I have seen guys who wanted them a little more forward than standard that cut holes for the turn signals to rest in but it's not necessary. JB doesn't have lowers for anything but the Stratoliner/Roadliner, unless he's expanded.

The National Cycle let's are awesome but only work in the NC windshield mounts.

·
Premium Member
2008 Yamaha Road Star Silverado (Gray, hard bags, etc.)
1,184 Posts
I rode my Road Star for a year or more without them. It was noticeably better when they were added. As @Deeksvstarclassic mentioned, if you put your hand down and feel the air that's coming up over your tank, that's what will cause the turbulence behind the windscreen. I have 3 different sets I've acquired. One set is homemade and works well just not the most aesthetically pleasing. Another set is OEM but they hit the crash bar when turning full lock so it's not desirable when trying to maneuver into a tight parking space. The last set are my favorites and are chrome National Cycle style. I got them used with some other stuff. I noticed a rattle with them and found there was a slight crack in them by the mounting bolt. On an extremely windy day one of them broke and pivoted while riding so I stopped by dad's shop and pulled them off. I need to talk to my welding friend and see if they can be fixed without destroying all the chrome.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts