Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
You had to do it; didn't ya!

Reactions: dmil123 and faffi

·
Registered
'18 SVTC
106 Posts
I'll go first.

I've used SuperTech (WalMart) filters almost exclusively on my oil changes (88k miles on my traded-in 2007 Kawasaki Nomad) without any oil related issues. So far I've only had dealer installed Yamaha filters on my SVTC, but as soon as the free oil changes/service intervals run out (November this year) it will be back to the SuperTech. Not sure yet about oil, but that would be a whole 'nother thread, and can of worms......

·
Registered
2001 Yamaha XVS650 Dragstar Classic in black
1,314 Posts
I agree, OEM is the safest choice, just as it is with brake related items. Not saying you cannot find parts that are superior to OEM, but then they will likely cost more as well - although price is no direct guarantee for quality.

·
Registered
41 Posts
OEM?
No OEM builds an oil filter, they all have them manufactured by a filter company.
Here is what to do:
Over pay for a filter at the dealer, take that filter to the filter supply stores to compare so you can figure out who makes the filter for the OEM.
Ignore the color of the can, but look at the part number is it painted on or is it a sticker? The company who builds for the OEM likely will use a painted number.
Look at the oil ports and the shape of the thread mount
With a little detective work you can figure out who makes the OEM filter and pay less for the same.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
OEM?
No OEM builds an oil filter, they all have them manufactured by a filter company.
That is true, but the filters they use are made to their specifications.

If you type in "oil filter test" over at YouTube, you will get several results. I have not watched many, but I would not be surprised if they came up with different answers. Here are two picked on random, have not watched them.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I've been using full synthetic oils for over 20 years in all my vehicles. (please NO debate about what qualifies as a true full synthetic (I'm aware of the research)))
All major mfg. of cars just started using and approving synthetics in their vehicles for the last 5 - 7 years.
That should tell you something. (OEM's are slow to adopt. Too lazy and too cheap to do the research)
Also as stated above OEM's sub out most parts manufacturing- low bidder gets the order !
Sticking with OEM is safe but there are better options out there.

Thanks for the article dmil. Lots of good info there.

BTW I've been using Purolator Pure One and now Purolator Boss filters for years and doing extended mileage oil changes. Nice to know they make a filter that fits my bike

·
Registered
291 Posts
I'm not surprised the video above has K&N filters as 1st place winner in the test. K&N filters is all I've used on bikes going back for years, and all I use for my truck. I'm impressed with their quality even though they are over-hyped. I just changed my oil filter on my Honda VTX last weekend and the K&N oil filter comes with a built-in tip on the filter for the wrench or socket to grab onto for tightening. It's a nice feature you rarely see. I use K&N air filters too.

Reactions: dmil123

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Glad you have had good experience with them. K&N had serious quality issues throughout much of 2016 and (possibly beyond, if Internet is to be believed) that caused a lot of crashes, though. They were slow to react, but eventually made a recall Safety Recall Notice.

In this video, from around the 12:20 mark, he shows that the SuperTech and K&N appears to be the very same filters save for paint and the nut on the latter

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
I'll go first.

I've used SuperTech (WalMart) filters almost exclusively on my oil changes (88k miles on my traded-in 2007 Kawasaki Nomad) without any oil related issues. So far I've only had dealer installed Yamaha filters on my SVTC, but as soon as the free oil changes/service intervals run out (November this year) it will be back to the SuperTech. Not sure yet about oil, but that would be a whole 'nother thread, and can of worms......
Yessir. This is what I use on my Strat.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
This is very, very long, but it also shows that OEM is no guarantee of top quality. And that many brands are made by the same people. Also, quality within a brand can vary greatly between models and likely also production runs.

Having seen how much goes into an oil filter, however, it is amazing they can retail for around 10 bucks!

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I’ve used Fram filters for over 25 years without any issues. Used them on the drag car when we raced as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
15,156 Posts
amsoil sells filters as well as oil. so i have been using their filters whenever i buy their oil. 10,000 miles/1yr per oil/filter change. i've just been changing my oil once a year for the past decade.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Most likely, if you change your oil and filter regularly, any filter will do OK. Some filter better, some have a higher burst threshold, some can go a bit longer between changes. So let's say the best filter, everything else being equal, allows your engine to last 250k miles, and the worst will see it wear out after "just" 150k miles, does it really matter? Do you plan to ride your bike that far?

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
On the Stratoliner and now Roadstar , K&N just for the simple fact I can use a regular wrench on them. It makes it easier.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts