Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have had a Honda Shadow 1100 for about 2 years now and have had nothing but problems with it due to buying it used.

Also to be truthful I do not know a ton about motorcycles so the place I took my bike to get a few things fixed were just taking my money pretty much.

I went to a dealership the other day. They have a 2012 Yamaha V-Star 950 with no miles and they seem to be giving me a great deal on it.

On the Honda shadow it was just great to take to work and back or short distance and back. I am really wanting to be able to take a trip to the mountains, trip to the beach.

Any helpful hints out there on this bike? It has a great feeling sitting on it that's for sure.

My wife will be accompanying me as well. I weigh about 140 and she weighs about 120 so I believe this bike will have what it takes I can imagine.

Also I keep getting the question why would I downgrade from 1100 to 950. The Honda was 1999 so technology has come a long way I usually say.

Thanks for all your help!

·
Super Moderator
6,006 Posts
Hi cw, welcome, and we have several 950 owners here. I own an 09' 950t myself and it carries us both around quite easily. I added aftermarket exhaust, air intake system, and a fuel processor and can keep up with bigger bikes with no issues. I love the fuel injection and the handling. Hope this helps, and send us some pics if you make the purchase.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Best place for input! Help! Reply to Thread

Welcome cw, you have come to the right place for input! Being an older female I, too, own a 2012 950 T. You will not be making a mistake at all. Maintenance, comfort and bike agility are most apparent with this bike.

Ride safe and enjoy,
YammyV

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hello,

I have had a Honda Shadow 1100 for about 2 years now and have had nothing but problems with it due to buying it used.

Also to be truthful I do not know a ton about motorcycles so the place I took my bike to get a few things fixed were just taking my money pretty much.

I went to a dealership the other day. They have a 2012 Yamaha V-Star 950 with no miles and they seem to be giving me a great deal on it.

On the Honda shadow it was just great to take to work and back or short distance and back. I am really wanting to be able to take a trip to the mountains, trip to the beach.

Any helpful hints out there on this bike? It has a great feeling sitting on it that's for sure.

My wife will be accompanying me as well. I weigh about 140 and she weighs about 120 so I believe this bike will have what it takes I can imagine.

Also I keep getting the question why would I downgrade from 1100 to 950. The Honda was 1999 so technology has come a long way I usually say.

Thanks for all your help!
I've had my 950T since April, absolutely love it. It is a great bike, perfect size. Great for around town, but has no problems on the road. I'm about 150 miles, all interstate from Dallas and have made the trip several times. Fuel injection is great, no choke to mess with. Air cooled, so no radiator. Good mileage, average about 52 mpg. Belt drive, no chain noise and very low maintenance. Low seat. Easy, and low, maintenance

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi cw, welcome, and we have several 950 owners here. I own an 09' 950t myself and it carries us both around quite easily. I added aftermarket exhaust, air intake system, and a fuel processor and can keep up with bigger bikes with no issues. I love the fuel injection and the handling. Hope this helps, and send us some pics if you make the purchase.

Welcome cw, you have come to the right place for input! Being an older female I, too, own a 2012 950 T. You will not be making a mistake at all. Maintenance, comfort and bike agility are most apparent with this bike.

Ride safe and enjoy,
YammyV
I've had my 950T since April, absolutely love it. It is a great bike, perfect size. Great for around town, but has no problems on the road. I'm about 150 miles, all interstate from Dallas and have made the trip several times. Fuel injection is great, no choke to mess with. Air cooled, so no radiator. Good mileage, average about 52 mpg. Belt drive, no chain noise and very low maintenance. Low seat. Easy, and low, maintenance

Awesome! Thank you everyone.

Probably a dumb question but I cannot find it online....is there two different types? The 950T and just the 950? or is that just saying it does not come with bags and a windshield if it is not a tourer?

52mpg great! I will post pics after the purchase...hopefully soon but got a busy schedule.

·
Super Moderator
6,006 Posts
Not a dumb question at all. 950t is the tourer model, other is not. Tourer has the bags, windshield, etc. I'd recommend getting a service/repair manual as they're a huge help in getting to know your bike.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I called the dealer to see if they could add windshield and saddlebags on to get a quote on it added in.

·
Super Moderator
6,006 Posts
If it turns out to be beyond your budget for them to add those items, you can shop around for them. I sold my windshield and purchased a Memphis shades batwing fairing and love it. It came with the quick release brackets and I can take it off in less than two minutes.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's great. I love the quick connect windshield on my bike now. I would go without the windshield but I like to look around with out worrying about the wind.

·
Registered
421 Posts
If you are going to be doing much two-up riding, make sure your passenger will be reasonably comfortable. Cruisers are notorious for poor passenger seating. The dealership staff probably won't like it, but get on the bike, have your passenger get on the bike, and have the staff hold it upright so both of you can put your feet up on the pegs. Sit there as long as they'll hold it up for you. Even better, if they'll let you, take it for a test ride two-up. Remember the old adage - "If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy."

I suggest, as a benchmark, both of you go sit on a Gold Wing. And Wings have center stands, so you can sit on it for a while.

·
Registered
318 Posts
The 950 was built to replace the 1100 Yammy back in 2009. I don't think you'll notice much loss of power with the 950. In fact, with EFI and other improvements, you'll probably see an actual boost in power. I had a Honda Shadow 750 (1998) and my 2012 950 gets better miileage than the smaller bike. You'll also like the tubeless tires, air cooled engine, belt final drive.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well brought her home today! 2012 950 with no miles! Doesn't have the Tourer package but I can add the stuff. None of the candy red came with the bags and shield!

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts