Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm kind of a late bloomer to motorcycling. After years of focus on work and family, I realized that I never seriously considered riding even though I'd always been fascinated with bikes. In spring of 2017 I purchased my first bike a 2010 Star 250. I learned to ride, took the MSF course and got licensed that summer. Last spring I sold the 250 and purchased my 2013 Star 1300.
I bought this bike new (factory leftover) with 0 miles and stored it for the Western New York winter with 7700 miles.
The joy I feel when riding is simply indescribable. but of course I'm preaching to the choir. I only wish I had started riding years ago, but better late than never.

Attachments

Super Moderator "Loose Nut"

Welcome from Atlantic Canada. Nice looking bikes and a good way to get into riding. Your story is echoed for many people, including myself. I rode when I was younger but jobs and family put an end to that until 2 years ago. Now I spend all the time I can behind bars and I can't imagine not having a bike. The downside is that winters are now a LOT longer.

Registered
thats quite a jump from 250 to 1300

with nearly 8k miles on it you must be pretty comfortable with it by now

where are you in western NY? Im just a bit SE of Rochester. NY is a great place to have a motorcycle, just about anywhere you go takes you on some great two lane roads.

the age window for the "I wish I did this sooner" lament is about 40 to 60 years of age. Got my license when I was 55.

Registered
The joy I feel when riding is simply indescribable. but of course I'm preaching to the choir.
I think most of people here can attest to what it is like trying to explain "why the motorcycle?" to someone who doesn't get it.

Congrats on the 1300. Looks great. Hope you're as happy with your Yamaha as I am with mine.

Registered
Welcome and nice looking bike! I bought my first cruiser in 2008 and shortly thereafter received orders to go to Korea. Not wanting the bike to sit for a year I regrettably sold it. I wish I had just stored it because life got in the way of getting another one. Jan 2015 the wife and I made a deal that if I got promoted that year I would get another one. That was all the incentive I needed. Picked up my current bike July 2015.

Premium Member
Welcome from Antioch, CA.

I used to work for Eastman Kodak when it was a good company as a field service engineer working on digital imaging products for radiology departments. All told, I spent over a year and a half in the Rochester area (Henrietta) for training classes. Good area for bikes but then again, if you're on a bike, what isn't a good area?

Registered
.. if you're on a bike, what isn't a good area?
from my experience:

southern florida, unless you like to ride in the Everglades
Iowa, unless you like riding straight and flat in 90F and 99% humidity
Manhattan Island...

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
I'm in Rochester's South Wedge. This area's great for spur of the moment day trips to one of the Finger Lakes or Letchworth State Park. I got some grief from friends when I went from 250cc to 1300, but the V Star with it's low seat and balance was not hard to handle. I'll admit I spent many Sunday mornings practicing in mall parking lots.

Registered
Welcome! The Commander IIs have been the best tires I鈥檝e put on my bike. Have to think you鈥檒l get good service outta them. Reliable, pretty affordable, excellent longevity.

I bought a 2008 Roadliner in August of 2009. First bike I鈥檝e owned since I had a little XR100 dirt bike as a kid. Been fantastic. I got back on two wheels at 38, but like the rest of y鈥檃ll, I wish it had been sooner. Gotta have at least a little extra dough to ride, though. Sometimes, it takes a while. Gotta do what you gotta do before you can do what you wanna do.

Congrats and welcome!

Registered
From Rochester the motorcycle pilgrimage is to ride to the Curtiss Museum in Hammondsport. Dont take the interstate highways, take the secondary roads thru Naples and maybe thru Watkins Glenn sorta on the way.

Allegheny state park is a great day trip, Niagara Falls, esp if you cross the Peace Bridge in Buffalo and ride the last 30 miles right on the Canadian side of the Niagara River. The Pierce Arrow Museum is a great day trip (in Buffalo), the Navy Ship park (a few blocks from there).

In case it ever pops up, one road that use to be an epic motorcycle ride has not been maintained in the last 40 years, and is now nearly impassible: Zoar Valley Road between Gowanda and Springville (about 40 miles south of Buffalo). There is a great HD dealership right on the end of the road in Gowanda, and there is another MC shop that sells restored vintage bikes nearby. The road somewhat follows Cattaraugus Creek, you would be better off on a dirt bike riding in the creek bed when the water is low, than trying to ride the street. If some old timer mentions this legendary MC ride, just smile and nod.. dont tell him its gone to crap.

Super Moderator
Welcome to the forum from East Tennessee rock! Great looking ride you have there. We鈥檙e all hoping for some good riding weather soon. Any else ready to dump winter? Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts