Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Trying to find good pictures of my carb. The manual says it is a Mikuni BSR40. Not getting much online. Help?

Looking at to the phiche links/docs below. All that I can tell from the outside of the carb that's wrong/missing is the diaphragm set and cover #35 & 37.

https://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/2000-yamaha-road-star-xv1600am/o/m145923#sch116765
https://www.tmsparts.com/oem-part-list.html#brand=yamaha&vehicle=motorcycle&year=2000&model=road_star_silverado_xv1600atm&assembly=carburetor

Question ... how hard is it to take of this carb and work on it?

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,456 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
I normally wear clothes when walking between my house & my neighbor's
Neighbor's uptight?
Can't help with your issue but I'm glad the damage was minimal.
My fire story....I'm driving my car down the road in Tampa and look over at the motorist next to me because he's honking his horn. He's looking at me and waving frantically and motioning for me to pull over. I do, he pulls up next to me and jumps out of his car, hits the ground and pulls out a big thick piece of flaming cardboard I'd picked up on the road. Thanks again frantic guy!

I have another actual person on fire story that I was able to assist. I'll share when I have more time.

·
Registered
5,650 Posts

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
did it only melt at the bottom, where it pulls the air in

you cant see that part on the bike, right?

Did you figure out where the gas was leaking?

isnt that where the carb overflow tube spews the fuel if the float bowl sticks?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I am wondering if some of the hoses that connect to the air intake housing had become loose or disconnected. Created some type of back pressure. I could be wrong.

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
It looks like thats where the fire was - maybe a carb overflowed and gas ran out into the air filter box, and pooled at the bottom?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
It looks like thats where the fire was - maybe a carb overflowed and gas ran out into the air filter box, and pooled at the bottom?
Sorry, I should have said there had to be a overflow of gas. And that was ignited during the start process.

Ride Smart! Ride Often!

·
5,456 Posts
How's your repairs coming? Hopefully the holidays haven't slowed you down too much.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Update -- So, last week I thought I had everything I needed to get B.B. running again. Well ... I was wrong. I went to grab the envelope with the diaphragm and spring in it. No where to be found. Not in the last place I put it. Looked ever where in the house. So after B.M.G'ing for 5 minutes. The wife asked what was wrong and I explained. She then said... "There was an envelope there. But, I looked in it and nothing was in there. So I recycled it."

YUP!

The wife threw out the parts. She threw away 55 dollars. Luckily, it was not on purpose. And its just money right?

Anyway, the reordered parts should be arriving today. And if I am not to tired. I will put things back together and try to get her running. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
Im getting to the point where I have to put things in one place, or I will never find them. I think its a short term memory or attention thing, but I always put my glasses on top of the fridge, I have a shelf in the garage where I put all my motorcycle parts, always put my cell phone and hearing aids in the same place at night, and there are hooks by the front door with all the vehicle keys.

I hate when I know I have something, but have no idea where it is.

·
5,456 Posts
I have the same issue losing things. Can anyone help?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Does the vacuum chamber hose (referred to in the 2nd picture) connect to the 2 parts/ends of were mo fingers are pointing?

Ride Smart! Ride Often!

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
time to get out the rustolium and grafitti all of Poquoson Virginia:

BIG BERTHA LIVES!

21 - 40 of 43 Posts