Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While my bike is not covered in mud and bug guts. She had sat outside in the weather for a year and change w/o any covering. So ... Big Bertha is not looking her best. My question is ... What detailing products have you guys used to make the paint shine? The tires look like they are 'wet'? Windshield cleaner?

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
I buy a gallon of whatever wash and wax soap Walmart is selling this year, and it lasts me about 4 years between my MC and 2 cars.

If the bike is really dirty park it in the shade, soak it with the hose first, then get the soapy water as hot as you can handle, and let that soak on the bike for a while.

The most important thing is not to scrub and rub dirt and grim into the paint. You want to soak it loose, then blast it off with the hose, instead of rubbing the particles of grim into your paint.

You have to be all the more gentle with the windshield. The plastic is no where near as rugged as a glass windshield on your car. You have to soak & coax the dead bugs off.

If there is road tar or grease built up anywhere I used odorless paint thinner.

·
Registered
239 Posts
:grin:

Careful with anything that will make your tires look wet.. the biggest issue is if any of it gets onto the tread you won't know until your in a turn and that's not a good thing to find out.. I prefer to just wash the tires with soap and water and than just leave them.. Cars don't fall over with silicon on the sidewall..Bikes do.

·
Super Moderator
4,455 Posts
I second the previous replies. To make stuff shine I just wax. A name brand paste wax works great. I wax all painted items and chrome. I even wax exhaust, some say it's not good for exhaust due to heat, but been doing it for years without any issues. Wax on the wheels make them easier to clean. For the windshield I use wax also. Rain sheets off and bugs don't stick as bad. Some will say wax is not good for windshields but again many years without issue. Soap and water only on tires. They will come clean and look natural black. On hoses, wire loom, any plastic or rubber I use meguires natural shine protectant. Works great without that greasy over shiney look. To touch up minor spots I use meguires quick detailer, easy on, easy off. Most of you have seen pictures of my mustang and hopefully you can tell I keep it detailed the same way. I'm old school and if it works don't mess with it. If anyone wants to test my cleaning regiment come on over, road home from work today in heavy rain and bike is a mess.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
While my bike is not covered in mud and bug guts. She had sat outside in the weather for a year and change w/o any covering. So ... Big Bertha is not looking her best. My question is ... What detailing products have you guys used to make the paint shine? The tires look like they are 'wet'? Windshield cleaner?
put a spoke cleaning brush into a drill, soap it up and have at it, they clean a lot more than spokes, just stay away from paint, wheel bearings, and electrical connectors

1 - 8 of 8 Posts