Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for input on bigger cruisers. Four in particular, Yamaha Raider, Suzuki M109, Honda vtx 1800,and Kawasaki Vulcan 2000. I have narrowed it down to these four based on seat height. Since I am only 5'8" tall, a 28 inch seat height is about all I can handle without buying platform boots.

As for riding background on myself, I have been riding for about 14 years. I have been on my 950 now for going on 4 years, and had two 650's previously. The only reason I haven't gotten a bigger bike before now is my wife's paranoia. Now that I have taught her to ride, and she loves it, she understands the need for the larger platform. I want something that can do cross country if the need arises. The 950 is a great bike, but doesn't have the legs for my heavy butt on the interstate.

Most would say to consider the weight of the bigger bike, but this doesn't concern me much. Before I met my wife, I was a competing power lifter. I used to squat almost 600 lbs so my legs are quite strong. They are just short, and very thick, causing another problem with the width of the saddle/bike.

As for the power jump, I always ride responsibly. I don't have to go everywhere with my hair on fire like when I was a kid.

I am wanting to hear from people with these bikes, how comfortable are they on long trips, any problems with day to day use, ect. Which would/did you choose and why?

These are my concerns. I'm afraid the M109 is too wide to be comfortable for a long time. The Raiders pegs may be too far forward for me for comfort. The vtx 1800 is everywhere, meaning its a good bike, but I like bikes that aren't around every corner. The Vulcan seems to be stacking up as my favorite, but I do have to admit that 123 cubic inches is a bit daunting. I have at least sat on every one of these bikes, but can not seem to make up my mind.

Other bikes I have considered are the Road Star 1700, almost anything from Victory (except the v92, too tall), and the Roadliner. The 1700 on the used market is about the same price as the vtx 1800, so why not go with the extra power and fuel injection. I absolutely love the Roadliner, but its seat is 29 inches which is the same as my inseam. I also love the look of the Victory Vegas, Jackpot and Hammer, but they all lose something when you add bags. Any other suggestions would be appreciated, but as stated earlier I am looking for less than 28 inch seat height with plenty of power.

I apologize for the long windedness of this post, but there is a lot to consider. :grin:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just an FYI, I've been riding for 9 years. I started on the 950 - great bike! I made the jump 5 years ago to the Roadliner, and haven't regretted the decision! And like you, I'm height disadvantaged at 5'8". My wife and I are much more comfortable on the bigger cruiser! All that said, you have to comfortable with the bike you ride. Good luck in your search!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Have you considered a lowering kit? If you could lower the bike a couple of inches that would eliminate that factor in your decision.

·
Super Moderator
4,450 Posts
I have, but I have heard horror stories about bikes being lowered not handling correctly.
Depends on how low you go. I've lowered several bikes 1 inch works well without any handling or ride quality issues. I'm 5'5" when I stand up straight with a 29" inseam weighing 125, yeah I'm a little. I lowered my 1100 one inch without any handling or comfort issues. The Vstar had an original seat height of 28 inches with stock weight of 650 pounds, the one inch lowering made it very comfortable to me, I could 100% flat foot it. Another thing I do to make the bike more comfortable was pull back risers and rotating the handle bars down. Making this bike "smaller" was easy and didn't affect the bike in a negative way at all. My Harley is a little higher. Stock seat height is 30 inches and weighs 800 pounds. I lowered it one inch and lowered the bars. This made it much better but still just a tad too high. It was time for new boots and got some with a thicker sole. Works great, not 100% flat foot but close enough to be comfortable. I commuted daily on the 1100 for 4 years and put 65k miles on it. The Harley I've had for 5 months and have put 5k on it, it's my daily commuter now. So can a vertically challenged person ride a larger bike with confidence, absolutely. In tight parking lots and similar situations am I still careful, yes, but again, no big deal. It takes a few mods and some seat time, if you want it, do it.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I'm 5' 8.5" with an inseam between 28 & 29 inches. I ride a 2000 Road Star Silverado. It has a 1607cc or 98ci engine. It's seat height is 28".
I feel very comfortable. It has great power. It hauls my fat arse just fine. I have ridden her on I-95 with tractor trailers & the other butt-nuggets heading to Washington DC. I felt that if i had to hit the throttle & go 90+ to get away from a moron. BIG BERTHA would haul arse to get me away.
If you can take them for a test ride. Do that. & buy whichever one you feel most comfortable on.
Good luck!

Ride Smart! Ride Often!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Another 5’ 8” rider here. I just moved up to a 2000 Royal Star (venture edition) and find it quite the all around package. I’m still getting used to the 900 some pounds but it fits my needs with
- larger cruiser with comfy backseat for the Mrs
- fairing
- 1300cc V4 makes good power without the rumble of a vtwin
- lots of storage with tour pack and hard bags

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input so far guys, I really appreciate it. I guess I will think about lowering some more. Its just kinda one of those "the engineers made it that way for a reason" things. If I had to choose a bike at this moment it would be the Vulcan. If I do choose to lower one though it will be the Roadliner. I don't think I will be disappointed with any of these bikes power. They will all have plenty of "smiles to the gallon". Decisions, decisions.....

·
Registered
120 Posts
I looked at the M109 (before I knew there was a C109) before I went with my gut instinct and got the Raider. What I found between the two of them....straight line they are almost neck and neck, once you get in to the twisties, the Raider stands out. Especially if a little aggressive. As for the seat height, you pretty much sit down in the bike, so your bottom is lower to the ground than you would think walking up to it. I have looked at lowering kits, they are seemingly quick and easy with no handling issues that I have seen. It just limits the tire size that you can put on the back I believe. My 1100 is essentially slammed (1.5"). I often scrape the floorboards when going in to some entry ramps (see above about aggressive rider haha). As for handling, I took both the girls out yesterday after about a month off due to weather...1100 likes to get down in to the curves and enjoys the lean, Raider likes to go and go hard. She gets in to the corner and is ready to bring herself back up and enjoy the straight stretch. Not sure if this helps your decision, but a little background on my choice and experiences in a similar situation.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I'm 5'9" and the 1100 fits me perfectly. I agree - it's a very well balanced bike.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As an update to this thread, I have now purchased a new to me bike. Funnily enough, it wasn't even in my "final four". I landed a great deal on a 2012 Road Star S, with only 3500 miles. I just bought the bike today, and despite 35 degree weather, I put 60 miles on her. So far I am completely in love with this bike. It only took about 5 mins in the saddle for it to feel like I have been riding it for years. The only thing I don't like is the stock exhaust. Can you mod these pipes like you can on a 650? Other than that, this bike is fantastic.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,998 Posts
Congrats bb09! Great looking new to you bike, there’s quite a few aftermarket parts available for the road stars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
nothing like getting another MC to put a smile on your face

Road Star was the other bike I was looking for (called a few listed for sale), but ended up getting a great deal on my Royal Star.

2012 Road Star is fuel injected, so you can modify the exhaust if you want it to sound different, and if needed get the ECM reflashed or get one of the controllers that lets you adjust the fuel map. Both are easier to tweak then changing jets and turning PM screws. If you only change the exhaust you may not even need to alter the fuel map.

Personally I really like the way Vstar bikes are designed and run from the factory, both of mine have stock drive trains. I would give the new bike a couple thousand miles before you decide if you want to alter it the engine, exhaust, intake. Once you get a good feel for the new bike and run it WFO for a while, then decide if that is not loud enough for you already.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
I'm looking for input on bigger cruisers. Four in particular, Yamaha Raider, Suzuki M109, Honda vtx 1800,and Kawasaki Vulcan 2000. I have narrowed it down to these four based on seat height. Since I am only 5'8" tall, a 28 inch seat height is about all I can handle without buying platform boots.

As for riding background on myself, I have been riding for about 14 years. I have been on my 950 now for going on 4 years, and had two 650's previously. The only reason I haven't gotten a bigger bike before now is my wife's paranoia. Now that I have taught her to ride, and she loves it, she understands the need for the larger platform. I want something that can do cross country if the need arises. The 950 is a great bike, but doesn't have the legs for my heavy butt on the interstate.

Most would say to consider the weight of the bigger bike, but this doesn't concern me much. Before I met my wife, I was a competing power lifter. I used to squat almost 600 lbs so my legs are quite strong. They are just short, and very thick, causing another problem with the width of the saddle/bike.

As for the power jump, I always ride responsibly. I don't have to go everywhere with my hair on fire like when I was a kid.

I am wanting to hear from people with these bikes, how comfortable are they on long trips, any problems with day to day use, ect. Which would/did you choose and why?

These are my concerns. I'm afraid the M109 is too wide to be comfortable for a long time. The Raiders pegs may be too far forward for me for comfort. The vtx 1800 is everywhere, meaning its a good bike, but I like bikes that aren't around every corner. The Vulcan seems to be stacking up as my favorite, but I do have to admit that 123 cubic inches is a bit daunting. I have at least sat on every one of these bikes, but can not seem to make up my mind.

Other bikes I have considered are the Road Star 1700, almost anything from Victory (except the v92, too tall), and the Roadliner. The 1700 on the used market is about the same price as the vtx 1800, so why not go with the extra power and fuel injection. I absolutely love the Roadliner, but its seat is 29 inches which is the same as my inseam. I also love the look of the Victory Vegas, Jackpot and Hammer, but they all lose something when you add bags. Any other suggestions would be appreciated, but as stated earlier I am looking for less than 28 inch seat height with plenty of power.

I apologize for the long windedness of this post, but there is a lot to consider. /forums/images/StarbikeForums_2015/smilies/tango_face_grin.png
The new Venture has only 27.5 inches seat height. The weight is down low so you don’t feel it and the floorboards are long allowing a lot of leg positions without highway pegs.

Never mind... I’m late to the party! CONGRATS on your new ride!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts