Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping to get some good input from you riders with experience on different yamahas. I currently ride an 04 v-star 1100 classic. I like the bike but I am wondering if a larger one would be more comfortable and better handling? I was thinking about the Road star or a liner. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Oh yea. We usually ride from 100 to 200 miles on a daily ride. Thanks, Charlie

·
Registered
38 Posts
Only advice i would give you is go sit on all the ones you like and see if you like it. I have a 08 roadstar that i loved first time i saw it. does everything solo or two up/short or long trips.:)

·
Registered
451 Posts
I will be upgrading to a liner in 7days,i was content with my vstar 1100 until i rode a liner at a dealership the massive power just feels awesome.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies guys. I guess what I was really looking for is how the bigger bikes handle. We have lots of curvy back roads in Georgia and sometimes the 1100 doesn't feel stable. I ride with harley guys and 3 of them had 1100s. They all say the same thing about the handling on the 1100. Don't really want a harley but I would like to have the handling they say they have.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
The liners do it for me. I went from a 750 honda to my strat. It rides great,handles great and it is fast as hell for a big bike.My saying is go big or go home. What kroyleahcim stated about sitting on them is very true. If your arse isn't happy then you won't be happy.It's like buying a good pair of shoes. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
545 Posts
You can change your handling with a new seat and/or a handlebar adjustment or risers or something. I can't imagine a bigger bike giving you better handling in the twisties.

I have an 1100 Custom and I put a Predator seat on it, made a huge difference. It's like riding a horse....you think it and it happens. Of course, neither my horse of my bike have a windshield.... :)

btw, your moniker looks exactly like a picture I have of my Dad, may God rest his soul....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can change your handling with a new seat and/or a handlebar adjustment or risers or something. I can't imagine a bigger bike giving you better handling in the twisties.

I have an 1100 Custom and I put a Predator seat on it, made a huge difference. It's like riding a horse....you think it and it happens. Of course, neither my horse of my bike have a windshield.... :)

btw, your moniker looks exactly like a picture I have of my Dad, may God rest his soul....
Hey Paddy, I've got a mustang seat and it sits real good. I think what I am feeling is when I lay into a curve, it seems I have to constantly change my lean and steering input. Your Dad is riding in the best place to ride on some really fine equine..

·
Registered
440 Posts
1100 custom with pod kit and Corbin seat. All the comfort and power I will ever need. Does me good all around. Hiway, or winding country roads. Never an issue for either type of roads for me and the wife.

The pod mod gave it more power than I would need on a regular basis.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Sounds like you need to do some test riding :D

I, as the official (self appointed) smart-ass, hereby order said person, Yamaha992, to move him/her self out the door and go test ride as many bikes as necessary for the purpose of satisfaction, gratification & indulgence. It is also noted on this day that said person, Yamaha992, must ride safe and keep the shiny side up

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds like you need to do some test riding :D

I, as the official (self appointed) smart-ass, hereby order said person, Yamaha992, to move him/her self out the door and go test ride as many bikes as necessary for the purpose of satisfaction, gratification & indulgence. It is also noted on this day that said person, Yamaha992, must ride safe and keep the shiny side up
Sounds like a plan Sparky. A local Yamaha dealer is having a test ride day next weekend. Think I will attend. Sparky you will appreciate the new decal on my helmet. "YOU LAUGH AT ME BECAUSE I AM DIFFERENT, I LAUGH BECAUSE I JUST FARTED". Just had to have it!!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Yeah Bear, but how does it handle in the twisties....? :)

·
Registered
1,620 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey Guys, I think I have figured it out. If those moto gp guys can corner at 100+ on a bike that weighs half as much as an 1100, maybe my handling problem is the handler. Gonna give it a few more months before going bigger. Sugar Bear, you gotta love the old ones!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Think I might have found my handling problem. My front tire was ready for replacement per my local service department. I also found out that miss matched front and rear tires can cause a handling problem. Got new front tire today and it was amazing how much better my 1100 handles.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts