Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Vstar 950. Candy Red.
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, y'all,

I mounted a gopro camera on the bike the other day and have been playing around with that.

The camera is mounted on my crash bar directly in front of my left foot which is pretty low to the ground, as you can see if I manage to link to the video correctly. Also, I have narrowed the field of view so that the front tire is not always in view, I sped the frame rate up to 30/sec, and I had to select a 2.7k quality rate in order for the picture stabilization to work.

I think the very low camera angle is kinda interesting. Also, because it isn't mounted on my helmet or the forks, it is always looking forward instead of wherever I'm looking or the fork is pointing. The two or three videos I shot from a helmet mounted camera were not fun to watch. As it turns out my head is moving constantly, a hell of lot more than I thought it would be.

If you're interested, give it a look. I'd love to hear any comments or helpful suggestions about making these trip logs more watchable. Criticism welcomed. Nasty comments tolerated. Insults will be returned in kind.

Trial run on camera mount.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Suggestion:
When watching the bike videos I really like watching the ones that are from directly behind the windscreen.

Insult:
Deeksvstar & NorthernRider are nuts for living in an area that is still getting snow in May. ( ok you have to return in it kind)

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
6,563 Posts
I like it. Pretty stable over bumps. Going down the street the left curb looks really close, I know it's the camera field of vision that gives it that effect. Plus thought you were going to hit your car on way into garage. The only thing I might suggest, see if you can move the camera up on bar a little. I caught myself looking at the road a little too much. Even being a few inches higher might take the viewers eyes more towards the the scenery and not the ride road. I call it a success. Without a remote on/off switch, how big of a card are you using and what is camera battery life. On mine a 32 gig card is the biggest I can use and that's good for about 2.5 hours of video at 1080. Post some highway video first chance you get. Forgot you Dallas folks have alleys and not driveways.

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
560 Posts
I like it. I do like seeing some of the bike as you ride.

I like helmet mounted too. Nice thing about that is if you pass an interesting thing, a mountain or a sign or whatever, you can just look at it and capture the memory.

I bought a chest mount thing. Sort of like a bra strap gizmo. Have not tried it yet, but I think it will put my hands and bars in the shot. Might be cool to see while riding twisties.

The image stabilization is very good on the Gopro products.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Nice video. I had this same view when I mounted the camera on my hyway bars on my Vulcan voyager sort of the same view Les has now and same camera. now on my star I have the go pro mounted on the handle bars with a few different connections to get it high enough to see over the fairing. Also I am with Les and move the camera up but I would suggest to move it to the top of the bar and spin it upside down so it is in the inside of the bar the video should flip. Also you should be able to turn to GoPro on and off thru the app on the cell.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Suggestion:
When watching the bike videos I really like watching the ones that are from directly behind the windscreen.

Insult:
Deeksvstar & NorthernRider are nuts for living in an area that is still getting snow in May. ( ok you have to return in it kind)
suggestion: Thanks. I was originally intending to mount it on the handlebar, but after messing with it a bit, the crash bar was second best option. I like the low low angle but higher does seem better. Also I can turn the wide angle view back on if I can get the camera above the wheel.

insult:
Florida? Woof. Sand. Sand everywhere! No curbs. Just sand and pavement. Every street corner is another sandy opportunity for disaster. Rain every afternoon. A gator ate my golf ball.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I like the perspective and how the view doesn’t move around a lot. Pretty cool.

How long can you record with it?
I'm not sure about record length. At 2.7k video, 30 frames/sec, wide angle, it says a little over 4 hours. Can the battery power it that long? Don't know yet.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I like it. Pretty stable over bumps. Going down the street the left curb looks really close, I know it's the camera field of vision that gives it that effect. Plus thought you were going to hit your car on way into garage. The only thing I might suggest, see if you can move the camera up on bar a little. I caught myself looking at the road a little too much. Even being a few inches higher might take the viewers eyes more towards the the scenery and not the ride road. I call it a success. Without a remote on/off switch, how big of a card are you using and what is camera battery life. On mine a 32 gig card is the biggest I can use and that's good for about 2.5 hours of video at 1080. Post some highway video first chance you get. Forgot you Dallas folks have alleys and not driveways.
I hope that stability over bumps is the video stabilization actually working.
Yeah, that was pretty cool seeing the curb and car looking like an imminent collision.
I am going to look for a higher mount placement. If I move it up higher on the bar it will be at an angle so the horizon will be messed up. I can't put it on the upper horizontal part of the crash bar because my turn signals wipe across there when the wheel is turned all the way.
I've got 128g on the SD card which is supposed to give me 4 and half hours at my current capture rate. Not sure what kind of battery life I'm going to get.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That was an interesting perspective. I agree with Lesblank on raising the camera for part of the video I was watching the road and thinking your roads are almost as bad as mine.
That seems to be the consensus. While I was kinda fascinated by that perspective I can see that it completely distracts from the scenery. Plus I can't use the widest view angle because it sees the wheel and not the countryside.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I like it. I do like seeing some of the bike as you ride.

I like helmet mounted too. Nice thing about that is if you pass an interesting thing, a mountain or a sign or whatever, you can just look at it and capture the memory.

I bought a chest mount thing. Sort of like a bra strap gizmo. Have not tried it yet, but I think it will put my hands and bars in the shot. Might be cool to see while riding twisties.

The image stabilization is very good on the Gopro products.
I've got one of those, but had not really considered using it on the bike. I'll try it out. I did mount the camera on my helmet and it gives a nice view of everything, but I move my head around too much. It's disorienting when you're watching the video.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nice video. I had this same view when I mounted the camera on my hyway bars on my Vulcan voyager sort of the same view Les has now and same camera. now on my star I have the go pro mounted on the handle bars with a few different connections to get it high enough to see over the fairing. Also I am with Les and move the camera up but I would suggest to move it to the top of the bar and spin it upside down so it is in the inside of the bar the video should flip. Also you should be able to turn to GoPro on and off thru the app on the cell.
I'm gonna try to figure a handle bar mount and give that a shot.
I can move it as you suggested under the top part of crash bar. I think my issue there is going to be seeing too much tire and not enough road.
I can turn it on/off and change settings from phone, but that burns a bunch of camera battery maintaining that link. Also the Hero5 Session camera will autoflip the image if I mount the camera upside down. Pretty cool.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would be interesting to see your helmet mounted camera videos. I have a handful of helmet videos and would like a new perspective.
I think I deleted them. There were only a few. I'll check. I'll post them if they're still there. If I can't find 'em, I can make another.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I'm gonna try to figure a handle bar mount and give that a shot.
I can move it as you suggested under the top part of crash bar. I think my issue there is going to be seeing too much tire and not enough road.
I can turn it on/off and change settings from phone, but that burns a bunch of camera battery maintaining that link. Also the Hero5 Session camera will autoflip the image if I mount the camera upside down. Pretty cool.
If you go on Amazon you can get some good mounts that attach to the GoPro handlebar attachment. I bought the handlebar GoPro mount and an item from Amazon that attaches to that. I am sure there is better but this is what I have. See picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
591 Posts
Here is a video from the helmet cam, it is the same camera that Les has and a few others on this forum.
You can see my GoPro on the handlebars recording a better quality of the same view.

·
Super Moderator
6,732 Posts
I liked it, interesting perspective. Being closer to the drivetrain you pick up more engine and transmission noise, but it’s not too bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 42 Posts