Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
560 Posts
I think I like that last one better. Gives you a feeling of being on the bike with you.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
6,563 Posts
I think it's pretty cool that more people are starting to make videos. The different mounting points just add to the experience. There are many on here that are unable to ride much due to current restrictions. I say we load a lot of videos for those who can't ride. The Daily Ride Thread would be a great place to post.

·
Premium Member
2018 SVTC
2,551 Posts
Well, I’ve had a helmet cam for a while. Same one a number of people have, but I’ve decided to take it to the next level.
I just ordered this today for an installed system that is powered by the bike. HD with great night vision and records front & rear simultaneously. Starts automatically when you turn on the bike & shuts off when you do. Has WiFi capable and a 256GB SIM card on a continual loop BUT you can also take still with it by pushing a button that mounts on the bars.
Very reasonable with excellent video.

I’m betting I can get an insurance discount with this one!

·
Registered
2010 Vstar 950. Candy Red.
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
link to 9 min video:
helmet mounted gopro

sorry this took so long. I guess I deleted or lost previous helmet mounted camera videos, so did a day trip with my gopro. This is a 9 minute clip using my gopro on a helmet mount. Pretty damn boring actually, but still, whatever comments/criticisms you care to make are appreciated.

Gopro drops a series of "chapters" of about 15 to 17 minutes. I fought the gopro app and then youtube until I finally got this 9 minute vid. I was somewhat pleased to see that my head doesn't swing around as badly as I remembered, but it does and it detracts from the trip. It's much less frequent out on the road and much, much worse driving around town.

Also, it is interesting to note that even with a somewhat wide field of view, the camera still doesn't see what I'm seeing. I look over my shoulder at traffic or at something along the side of the road and I see it plainly while the camera doesn't catch it at all.

PS, I dropped from 2.7k to 1080p and down to 24 frames a sec. The videos look very good, but it turns out that youtube processes HD video as SD. What a waste of time. Bummer. Also, the audio is a major pain in the butt. Wind noise is bad and gets worse anytime I turn my head.

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
560 Posts
I think that looks pretty good Gray. Would not be boring if you were outside town looking at scenery.

Couple comments, which I offer mostly because I also have the GoPro.

You move your head more than I do. That's probably just an unconscious thing that neither of us can really control. I move my eyes to scan the road more than my head.

I long ago setup my camera for 720p. Not going to view these on anything large enough to need 1024. Even on larger televisions, 720 looks good, but do any of us really watch Youtube on our TV? The benefit is much smaller file sizes.

The "chapters" you mention, I believe is based on file size. Flash drives are formatted FAT32, and 2.1gb was the maximum file size for FAT32. At 720p that is about 30 minutes on my GoPro Hero original model. And the camera doesn't stop shooting, it just starts a new file. GoPro Hero is up to about model 10 now, so some of my info might be out of date.

I just stuck one of the GoPro bayonets to the top center of my helmet. They come with that 3M HBV tape. Super strong stuff. And I've stuck the same mount on the front of my windshield frame, so I can swap the camera around. Got a lot of other mounts too, but those basic base mounts seem to be the most versatile.

My main problem is that my old Hero has no method of viewing the field of view until you download the video. It doesn't have wifi or bluetooth, or anything like the new ones do. So before I set out the last time I used the helmet mount, I shot a short clip, checked it on my PC, and was satisfied with the vertical field of view. But then, when I got on the highway at high speed, the camera sticking up 4 or 5 inches caught wind and pushed my helmet back on my head. Then I was seeing too much sky, and not much road. And had no way of knowing that until I got back home to download.

There were other issues with the helmet mount too. For example, a single button starts and stops the video. And you cannot see the blinking red light when it is on top of your head. So in the process of toggling the camera on/off a few times, I guess I missed hitting the button right, and recorded a long, long, long sequence of just freeway riding, and missed what I really wanted to record, because the on/off toggle was out of sequence. I got a laugh out of that when I got home and found out I had recorded myself filling up at a gas station. :)

I wish the Youtube Studio editor was a little better. It's free, so I don't expect much, but it would be nice to be able to splice files together.

I need a new camera, but the Hero was a gift, and I like using it for that reason.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I think that looks pretty good Gray. Would not be boring if you were outside town looking at scenery.

You move your head more than I do. That's probably just an unconscious thing that neither of us can really control. I move my eyes to scan the road more than my head.

I long ago setup my camera for 720p. Not going to view these on anything large enough to need 1024. Even on larger televisions, 720 looks good, but do any of us really watch Youtube on our TV? The benefit is much smaller file sizes.

The "chapters" you mention, I believe is based on file size. Flash drives are formatted FAT32, and 2.1gb was the maximum file size for FAT32. At 720p that is about 30 minutes on my GoPro Hero original model. And the camera doesn't stop shooting, it just starts a new file. GoPro Hero is up to about model 10 now, so some of my info might be out of date.

I just stuck one of the GoPro bayonets to the top center of my helmet. They come with that 3M HBV tape. Super strong stuff. And I've stuck the same mount on the front of my windshield frame, so I can swap the camera around. Got a lot of other mounts too, but those basic base mounts seem to be the most versatile.

My main problem is that my old Hero has no method of viewing the field of view until you download the video. It doesn't have wifi or bluetooth, or anything like the new ones do. So before I set out the last time I used the helmet mount, I shot a short clip, checked it on my PC, and was satisfied with the vertical field of view. But then, when I got on the highway at high speed, the camera sticking up 4 or 5 inches caught wind and pushed my helmet back on my head. Then I was seeing too much sky, and not much road. And had no way of knowing that until I got back home to download.

There were other issues with the helmet mount too. For example, a single button starts and stops the video. And you cannot see the blinking red light when it is on top of your head. So in the process of toggling the camera on/off a few times, I guess I missed hitting the button right, and recorded a long, long, long sequence of just freeway riding, and missed what I really wanted to record, because the on/off toggle was out of sequence. I got a laugh out of that when I got home and found out I had recorded myself filling up at a gas station. :)

I wish the Youtube Studio editor was a little better. It's free, so I don't expect much, but it would be nice to be able to splice files together.

I need a new camera, but the Hero was a gift, and I like using it for that reason.
I'm sure you're right about the reason for the gopro chapter size. A function of the file system limits. I didn't realize it until I'd wasted many hours, but youtube has a 15 min. time limit and the chapter length at 1080p exceeds that. I believe you can get permission to exceed that for youtube uploads, but you have to ask. And of course, they don't inform you that the video is too long until they've spent hours (over 2 hours) processing your video. I'm using the free youtube studio, too.

I gotta get a handle on that head spinning thing, but I think I'd really prefer to mount the camera on the bike anyway. A better bike mount is next on the list. You said you are pretty comfortable with the stick on mounts. I might give that a try on the windscreen if I don't find something for the handle bar.

My Session has a ridiculously antiquated two button menu control with a tiny two line LCD screen menu and there is a LOT you cannot control that way. The iphone GoPro app connects to the camera via bluetooth and then WiFi. From the app you can set everything that can be adjusted. The app is free. It also previews the video on the phone so I can monitor as it shoots or playback. Handy. I don't use it on the road because the iphone connection burns a ton of battery.

Also I discovered the flash drive has room for more video than my battery can shoot.

·
6,563 Posts
I like the bike mounted camera better for video recording also. There's pros and cons to both. Might want to try a cost effective handle mount to see how well it works. I'm good at spending other people's money, 😁, but $12.99 is pretty cheap.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I think my handlebar issue is going to be mounting the camera with something that allows it to be firmly mounted but tall enough above the bars to get the camera up above all the bracing on the windscreen and hopefully allow me to get it very close to the screen. bpounds uses the gopro stick on mounts. I didn't have enough confidence in them to try it on the windshield but apparently they work well.

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
560 Posts
That VBH tape is pretty incredible stuff. I trust it a lot more than any suction cup mount. I would not stick it to the actual polycarbonate windshield. You would have to cut it with fishing line to get it off.

I've got those bayonet mounts in 3 places on my Jeep, 1 on my truck, and now on my bike.

·
6,563 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 SVTC
2,551 Posts

In regards to your question about watching YouTube in our tv... YES and I do so on an 86” 4K tv.
The HD videos are awesome!

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
560 Posts
I learned today that the GoPro will stop recording if a big bug hits the lens cover. At least I think that's what happened. I had a fairly long vid, then the next one stopped short, and each start after that the bug splat is there and it only captured a short clip. I didn't find the bug until I got home. I think it senses the fuzzy focus, probably as part of the image stabilization program.

·
6,563 Posts
Interesting, my camera doesn't cut off, I just get a long video of this. 😂

·
Super Moderator
3,170 Posts
I like watching videos with helmet mounted cams. It kinda gives you the driver's point of view. That's nice when I'm sitting through another long winter and binging on riding videos...lol. I get what you're saying about moving your head around. I'm sure I'd be the same way. I guess the guys who make those YouTube videos have to make a conscious effort to keep looking forward as much as possible. I doubt I could do it.

I'm curious about how much the windshield distorts the image on the handlebar mounted GoPro, GARider. I have a GoPro knockoff that I had mounted on the turn signal bar on my 1100 that worked ok, but I would've preferred to get it up higher. I wear a half helmet so helmet mounting isn't an option. This thread has inspired me to try it again, if I can ever find it. I haven't seen it since we moved 2 years ago.

·
6,563 Posts
I like watching videos with helmet mounted cams. It kinda gives you the driver's point of view. That's nice when I'm sitting through another long winter and binging on riding videos...lol. I get what you're saying about moving your head around. I'm sure I'd be the same way. I guess the guys who make those YouTube videos have to make a conscious effort to keep looking forward as much as possible. I doubt I could do it.

I'm curious about how much the windshield distorts the image on the handlebar mounted GoPro, GARider. I have a GoPro knockoff that I had mounted on the turn signal bar on my 1100 that worked ok, but I would've preferred to get it up higher. I wear a half helmet so helmet mounting isn't an option. This thread has inspired me to try it again, if I can ever find it. I haven't seen it since we moved 2 years ago.
Something like this would work pretty good, y'alls prices up there are high, this is Amazon Canada. Windshield distortion is not an issue from what I've seen. Sometimes under certain lighting conditions you get a slight glare.

·
Super Moderator
3,170 Posts
Mine came with a bunch of different mounts. Hopefully they are all still in the box with it... wherever it is. Might be easier just to get a new one.

·
6,563 Posts
That does look a lot better than any of the mounts I have though. And you're right...we pay through the nose for everything.
Off topic alert, so what else is new with me? Just googled average annual income, I know this is a government number, but still interesting.

Canada : $55,806., converted to US dollars.
US: $56,516.

·
Super Moderator
3,170 Posts
Here's something very unusual. I just found the same dash cam setup Chief is getting on Amazon Canada for $219CDN with free shipping. With the exchange it would be cheaper for you to buy it in Canada!

·
Registered
591 Posts

NorthernRider I really haven't seen any distortion but I prefer to have it behind the windshield so it doesn't get peppered with road debris and bugs.
There are many different types of mounts on Amazon. I have bought many but only a few have really worked well. I did buy the actual GoPro handlebar mount and an mount accessories.
I also have the squeeze clamp mount from GoPro I like this because I can mount I different locations and very easy mount onto other bike in the group.
I have a few inserted pictures that you migh have seen before I posted. I get some shake but ok.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 42 Posts