Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Administrator - "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
13,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of y’all know within a few months I’m retiring, moving to the sticks and won’t have a garage for the first time in well over 20 years. I will have a carport that Carla’s Edge and my bike will sit under. But the bike will still be subject to some of Mother Nature not so pleasant environments. So I need some input on bike covers and protection methods you use. I talked to @Jspree last night and got some feedback, hopefully he’ll get back with me on brands he uses. I know @Boog has covers for his. I think @CantRider has a carport but not sure about cover. All others please give input. I don’t mind spending a little more on a cover that will work well and last a little longer. Does having one that breaths some help fight condensation and possibly rust or mold. How about hot pipes melting the cover. How about tie strap holes to tie down. Any and all input appreciated. Maybe you bought one that didn’t work well or last, please let me know so I don’t waste my money. Has anyone used something like this:

Is it worth it?

For now bike will sit under an unpaved carport. Should I get something to park bike on. My son lives in the sticks and has an old pig mat on ground that I park my bike on when I visit him. It’s an older mat but actually works well.

Product Font Rectangle Material property Parallel

I plan to pave driveway and carport area. Won’t be right away and want to protect bike the best I can till then. Thanks.

Reactions: Keith Post and Boog

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I have no garage or carport. Big Bertha is parked outside all year round.
I've used this cover for the last 2 years.
It's held together. I wait until the pipes are warm to the touch before putting on.
I was not happy with it's waterproofing. So I bought this and it's kept the water off the bike. (Some condensation will occur. But, I expect that.)

Ride smart. Ride often!

·
13,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have no garage or carport. Big Bertha is parked outside all year round.
I've used this cover for the last 2 years.
It's held together. I wait until the pipes are warm to the touch before putting on.
I was not happy with it's waterproofing. So I bought this and it's kept the water off the bike. (Some condensation will occur. But, I expect that.)

Ride smart. Ride often!
Thanks. It’s priced right. Seems most negative reviews were on water proofing that you had a solution. Seems other negative reviews were on sizing, guess people are too lazy to measure their bike.

Reactions: Scrumdown

·
13,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, good idea. I did a search on topic and only found older threads, but that was around 3am right after I got up. 😴
There’s been improved cover materials and wanted some fresh in site from everyone.

Reactions: GARider

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I have the same cover as @Scrumdown it has a nice pouch to use when storing. Due to your location you will not have the cold like we have here but I know someone who uses a electric blanket under their cover when the temps get a little cool. Seems to do okay.

·
Registered
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring, 1982 XS650 Heritage Special
3,473 Posts

·
13,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I use the Dowco Guardian on both bikes. I figure you will need at least the XXL for your HD.
Amazon.com: Dowco Guardian 50005-02 WeatherAll Plus Indoor/Outdoor Waterproof Motorcycle Cover: Black, XX-Large : Everything Else
Around 5 years of being in all weather, the stitching starts to come undone around the elastic cinch strap at the bottom.

View attachment 110805 View attachment 110806

I would put some some of paver down for the bike to sit on. Long periods of resting in the dirt is not good for the rubber.
Nice. That rubber mat my son uses has endured pig crap, horses, goats, sheep and chickens. He had it on dirt floor for years until he put cement down. But pavers would be stronger.

Shelter Logic makes some nice shed's. I have a 8x8x8 for the lawn mowers. View attachment 110807
I’m actually liking this idea. I could put that under the carport and should easy to store bike. I like easy.

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
2,118 Posts
I use this: Amazon.com: XYZCTEM All Season Black Waterproof Sun Motorcycle Cover,Fits up to 108" Motors (XX Large & Lockholes) : Automotive

At $20, I figured if I had to buy one every year it would be worth it. But it's been 2 years plus and still working. Faded, but the fabric has held up great to the UV.

I'll tell you the biggest PITA with these is that hot pipes will melt it. So you have to get home, wait around for an hour while the bike cools, then remember to go back outside and cover the bike. What if you get home late? Even if it didn't melt, I think hot pipes under a cover would invite condensation, which in turn invites mildew and other corrosion.

If I had space for it, I would much rather have some kind of shed with doors.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
There are some pretty cool looking bike shed plans on the interweb. Looks like a small 3 walled shed sharing a common wall with the house or another shed. I may investigate one of those types as I have a 1 car garage that I share with our SUV during the cold months. Looks like a fairly easy build if you can get the lumber or other materials.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Les this is the one I was referring to that my brother used for many years thru many heavy snow and wind storms.
I have seen others on the web that are similar.
Also my bro stated that this is lockable and the bike can be locked down.
I understand that it is only a tarp and can be cut open easy but at least you wouldn’t make it easy for someone.

·
Premium Member
2008 Yamaha Road Star Silverado (Gray, hard bags, etc.)
1,112 Posts
Les this is the one I was referring to that my brother used for many years thru many heavy snow and wind storms.
I have seen others on the web that are similar.
Also my bro stated that this is lockable and the bike can be locked down.
I understand that it is only a tarp and can be cut open easy but at least you wouldn’t make it easy for someone.
I too was going to suggest something like this if it's in the budget. No worry about hot pipes, it's fastened down (don't know if wind will be an issue) without contact to the bike's paint.

·
Registered
2008 V Star 1300 Tourer
705 Posts
Most of y’all know within a few months I’m retiring, moving to the sticks and won’t have a garage for the first time in well over 20 years. I will have a carport that Carla’s Edge and my bike will sit under. But the bike will still be subject to some of Mother Nature not so pleasant environments. So I need some input on bike covers and protection methods you use. I talked to @Jspree last night and got some feedback, hopefully he’ll get back with me on brands he uses. I know @Boog has covers for his. I think @CantRider has a carport but not sure about cover. All others please give input. I don’t mind spending a little more on a cover that will work well and last a little longer. Does having one that breaths some help fight condensation and possibly rust or mold. How about hot pipes melting the cover. How about tie strap holes to tie down. Any and all input appreciated. Maybe you bought one that didn’t work well or last, please let me know so I don’t waste my money. Has anyone used something like this:

Is it worth it?

For now bike will sit under an unpaved carport. Should I get something to park bike on. My son lives in the sticks and has an old pig mat on ground that I park my bike on when I visit him. It’s an older mat but actually works well.

View attachment 110802

I plan to pave driveway and carport area. Won’t be right away and want to protect bike the best I can till then. Thanks.

I've been using the Speedway Shelter for 9+ years now, along with a quality wheel chock. so i just pull in and close it, bike stands straight up. Also have the battery tender on a milk crate and my air compressor in there. Really keeps the bike much cleaner, maybe even cleaner that a garage actually, smaller room, less dust.

Anchored into the concrete with bolts. Has stood-up to major winds etc for years. Not sure if there is a cheaper knock-off out there. I just recently bought a replacement cover the original lasted 8+ years but started to dry out (Arizona).

Great customer service too in the USA. When i ordered the replacement cover it didn't quite fit, almost but not quite, wouldn't close all the way. Turned out they changed the design slightly and made the frame even more durable. They went from round to square tubing.
So i called them and they sent me a full cover with frame at no charge. Now i have two new covers, i am set for life pretty much ;)😁.

·
Registered
2008 V Star 1300 Tourer
705 Posts
I've been using the Speedway Shelter for 11 years now, along with a quality wheel chock. so i just pull in and close it,
bike stands straight up. Also have the battery tender on a milk crate and my air compressor in there.
Really keeps the bike much cleaner, maybe even cleaner that a garage actually, smaller room, less dust.

Anchored into the concrete with bolts. Has stood-up to major winds for years. Not sure if there is a cheaper knock-off out there. I just recently bought a replacement cover the original lasted 8+ years but started to dry out.

Great customer service too in the USA. When i ordered the replacement cover it didn't quite fit, almost but not quite, wouldn't close all the way. Turned out they changed the design slightly and made the frame even more durable.
So i called them and they sent me a full cover with frame at no charge. Now i have two covers, i am set for life pretty much ;)😁.
I got the larger one for touring bikes and the rubber floor.

·
Registered
2008 V Star 1300 Tourer
705 Posts
I've been using the Speedway Shelter for 9+ years now, along with a quality wheel chock. so i just pull in and close it, bike stands straight up. Also have the battery tender on a milk crate and my air compressor in there. Really keeps the bike much cleaner, maybe even cleaner that a garage actually, smaller room, less dust.

Anchored into the concrete with bolts. Has stood-up to major winds etc for years. Not sure if there is a cheaper knock-off out there. I just recently bought a replacement cover the original lasted 8+ years but started to dry out (Arizona).

Great customer service too in the USA. When i ordered the replacement cover it didn't quite fit, almost but not quite, wouldn't close all the way. Turned out they changed the design slightly and made the frame even more durable. They went from round to square tubing.
So i called them and they sent me a full cover with frame at no charge. Now i have two new covers, i am set for life pretty much ;)😁.
Les, I edited my post to read i've been using the Speedway for 9+ years (orig said 11 years), i've been riding for 9.7 years as an adult, seems i keep adding time... lol I bought the shelter about 7 months after i bought the Shadow Aero 1-6-12.

Also, the Speedway Shelter changed over the years, i mentioned the frame, but the material as well. Not sure if it was an improvement or a cost reduction material wise. Seems like a light weight fabric/tent material now, not sure if its as tough or not as tough as original.

So i wasn't trying to "sell" you one in my post, just stating some facts. The are expensive and not sure if i would go that route it i had to pay full-price. Probably would now that i'm used to having one, they are very convenient and reliable and "Seal" at the bottom with a flap that lays flat on the outer perimeter.

I paid $275 for mine originally, now they are what $499. At the time, back in 2012, there was an eBay seller offering one brand-new with the "best offer" option on their listing, I offered the price of the standard size shelter for the touring size, they accepted, i think the touring size was $379 or something back then.

Of course with the replacement cover effort i parlayed that into a brand-new full set-up touring size for the price of a replacement cover. So $499 would be tough.

Plus mine is in a double carport with three walls and protected from the Sun. Don't think it
would have lasted 8+ years with the sun beating down on it in Arizona.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I've used the CYCLESHELL cover for the past 8 years. You don't have to wait for the bike to cool off, it has its own floor, has 3 different sizes [I used the touring size for my 950T] and it's lockable. If you use this along with a carport it should last you at least 10 years if not more. Go to Cycleshell.com to see the prices.

Tire Light Automotive tire Vehicle Tent

·
Registered
1,111 Posts

Is it worth it?

View attachment 110802

Les, sorry for the delayed response but I haven't logged into the forum in a while. Here's my advice.

Off the top of my head I don't recall the size you said the carport was going to be, but I remember it being plenty large enough. Park you bike between the car and the shed, parralel to and centered on the shed. I'm thinking you said it was 18' x 26'? The wind (and weather) from the north will be blocked by the shed. The wind and weather from the south will be mostly blocked by the car and the length of the roof of the carport. Also, most of the sun will also be blocked by the length of the roof. Don't buy a cover until you see how well this will work. If it doesn't work well enough, you can buy a couple of blue tarps and hand them along the sides of the car port to block anything coming from the east and west. I think your biggest problem will be UV from the sun but the blue tarps should eliminate that.

You are going to need something under the bike. The first carport I built for the bikes (which lasted thru the '13 Ultra and '17 RGU) had a wooden floor. When it got wet is was very slippery, you don't want that. After building the most recent car port, at first it was just dirt. I put a small piece of plywood down for the kickstand, otherwise it would sink into the dirt. After a while though, I ended up with depressions in the dirt where the wheels stopped. I ended up putting down concrete pavers (I had posted pictures on here). You say you are going to eventually pave the area, so you don't need the expense and labor involved to put down pavers. Use that rubber mat that you use at your son's. If you can get one large enough to span the size of the bike, that would be good. If not as long as you get the wheels and kickstand covered, you should be good to go.

I haven't used a cover since I built the first carport. I'm kinda lazy and found it to be more trouble than its worth; several people have already mentioned some of the downsides to it. I don't know about where you'll be in TX, but around me here in FL, I've got wasps. They build nests everywhere. I even had them build a nest under the seat of the lawn tractor between the times of cutting the grass. I'd hate to be pulling a cover off to find that a group of wasps didn't want to become homeless.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts