Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know, I have occasionally posted about a noise that sounds like a spun bearing that would happen for a split second on my bike. I have not heard that noise in a while, until I changed my oil a few days ago and once again the noise has returned. It always seems to happen when I change my oil and for a few hundred miles after I change my oil it will occasionally happen. The oil change has to be related, I just dont accept the its a coincidence. I believe it may do it if the bike sits several days without being ridden though that rarely happens with me. Any thoughts on what this could be?

·
Super Moderator
4,472 Posts
Your fellow SVTC owners will have input for sure. But from past experience I've had bikes that had clutch chatter after oil changes. Newer oil slips more between plates and would chatter. After the oil had a little age on it the noise would go away. I've owned several bikes that had heavy duty clutch plates and springs that would do this. I'm sure the SVTC has a heavy duty clutch. Anyway, just an observation from other bikes.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
sometimes when my VS650 is cold (40F or less) after riding about 2 miles down the road and stopping for a red light, when I let the clutch out to take off it would make a noise like I was aggressively scrocking up a lugie. Everytime its happened I pulled the clutch in instinctively and let off the throttle, and then its gone.

I have tried to visualize what could make a sound like that: clutch plates chattering?
Timing chain gone completely slack and dragging alone the inside of the engine case?

Its only happened maybe 5 times in the last 3 years, never twice on the same day.

The bike runs fine. No issues at all. Im sure its not spinning any bearings, Ive own air cooled engines that spun a main bearing, and I know that low frequency thumping sound they make...

I dont know what it is.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
As some of you know, I have occasionally posted about a noise that sounds like a spun bearing that would happen for a split second on my bike. I have not heard that noise in a while, until I changed my oil a few days ago and once again the noise has returned. It always seems to happen when I change my oil and for a few hundred miles after I change my oil it will occasionally happen. The oil change has to be related, I just dont accept the its a coincidence. I believe it may do it if the bike sits several days without being ridden though that rarely happens with me. Any thoughts on what this could be?
Hey Rob, a couple questions and in no way am I trying to be demeaning.
1. What oil are you running?
2. Are you adding the exact oil amounts to BOTH the oil reservoir and the crankcase?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2. Are you adding the exact oil amounts to BOTH the oil reservoir and the crankcase?
Ive run Mobil, Valvoline and Valvoline so far. I added 2.0 to crankcase and 3.6 to tank twice. This time I added 2.4 and 3.2...no difference. I appreciate your comment, not demeaning at all. The only common item has been Fram oil filters. I got a 4 pack at a good price and still have one left. I absolutely dont buy into Fram is junk and will kill your engine but at this point it is the only common thing I can think of, I just dont understand how the filter could get better after a few hundred miles.

I wonder if I can change the filter without losing all of my oil?

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Ive run Mobil, Valvoline and Valvoline so far. I added 2.0 to crankcase and 3.6 to tank twice. This time I added 2.4 and 3.2...no difference. I appreciate your comment, not demeaning at all. The only common item has been Fram oil filters. I got a 4 pack at a good price and still have one left. I absolutely dont buy into Fram is junk and will kill your engine but at this point it is the only common thing I can think of, I just dont understand how the filter could get better after a few hundred miles.

you wont lose any, it will all be on the floor of your garage

but no, dont try that, unless you know someone that can pick up the bike and hold it downside up.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts

Get a CLEAN pan to put under it and change quickly, then just add it back in.
I personally noticed a reduction in “engine noise” when I went from regular oil to a full synthetic . Thought I’d mention that.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
^ I would only put the oil back IF everything it runs across on the outside of the engine on its way to the pan is spotless clean...

·
Registered
62 Posts
You should lose very little oil when changing just the oil filter. At least that is the way it works on everything else.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
it depends on whether the oil pump sucks oil thru the filter from the sump, or the pump suck in oil from the sump and pushes it thru the filter

if the filter is between the pump and the bearings, very little oil would flow from either end when you take it off.

I guess there is only one way to find out...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Looking at the lub diagram, looks like pump pushes oil to filter. I am thinking very little oil lose. I would like to find out for sure.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Looking at the lub diagram, looks like pump pushes oil to filter. I am thinking very little oil lose. I would like to find out for sure.
I ordered an OEM filter, it should be here Saturday. I'll let you know then.
I’m almost ar 20k miles, so today I picked up oil, filter, air filter & spark plugs AND getting a new front tire Saturday morning.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
^is that your first front tire replacement?

20k miles is about what I get on the front of my VS650, and about half that on the rear tire, so its 3 tires per 20k miles.

·
Registered
35 Posts

I'm thinking on a K&N filter on my next change. I have a 2005 that sat for 13 years. Cleaned it up, new tires and fluids. Changed out the oil. 2100 miles later I hear some slight engine noise at start up. Any advise?

·
Registered
1,955 Posts

I'm thinking on a K&N filter on my next change. I have a 2005 that sat for 13 years. Cleaned it up, new tires and fluids. Changed out the oil. 2100 miles later I hear some slight engine noise at start up. Any advise?
K&N doesn’t make a filter for this bike yet or I would’ve already had it installed. I’ve run K&N on my last bike for a decade.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am not a fan of K&N unless you race, they let more air in, also more dirt. For your noisy engine I would run sea foam in the oil and gas, I've seen that do wonders.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I’m almost ar 20k miles, so today I picked up oil, filter, air filter & spark plugs AND getting a new front tire Saturday morning.
Where did you get the air filter.
From my dealership. Same place I got my other supplies. They don’t stock them, but if I get my order in by 2pm I can pick it up next day.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts