Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Yamaha V Star 950
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, first time posting but have been reading the forum for a few months now.

I bought a used 2015 Yamaha V Star 950 back in June of this year. A dealer in Brooklyn had it traded in by the original owner with only 1900 miles on it. Everything on the bike has been working fine except for an issue the last month or two. The issue is that when I turn off the bike when filling up for gas or just to take a break, it won't start again without a quick jump. I start the bike cold in a parking garage and it starts up fine every time. It's only when I've been riding it for a bit that it has trouble starting again. It sounds like it's just about to start but then can't quite get there. I have a MicroStart XP-1 that gets it going every time after I have this problem.

Purchased a new battery a month ago and it holds a 12.6 V charge with no load. When I start the bike in the garage, it will drop to 9.5/10 V before going back up to 12.4-12.6 V. When I rev the bike to 5000 rpms or so the battery will be right around 14.4 V or so. That fits in range with what the manual says for the rectifier/regulator. The bike's electronics are stock with no additional add-ons that could be draining the battery. No dip in the brightness of the headlight when I apply the high beams. I changed out the spark plugs but that's about the only other thing I've done.

I'm no mechanic (just bought a multimeter last week) so just trying to see what I can do myself before bringing into a shop. Any ideas? Thanks!

·
Registered
'18 SVTC
1,048 Posts
First impression is the new battery may be bad. Voltage shouldn't drop that much at startup and fuel injectors don't work properly at low voltage. Get the battery load tested at AutoZone or other auto parts store and see it it's ok.

·
Registered
5,999 Posts
I agree with Allen , Yamaha has a magic number on voltage, if it drops below 10.5 v it will not start, it shuts down the ECU.

·
Registered
2008 vstar 1100 classic canadian edition
582 Posts
but after riding all day the battery should have enough charge to start it after 5 minutes of sitting. mine wont start right the first time but it starts every time after that with multiple starts and stops. after it sits for 1/2 hour at + 40 it won't start good or after a long ride in the heat it won't start after a gas fill 10 min.

·
Registered
'18 SVTC
1,048 Posts
but after riding all day the battery should have enough charge to start it after 5 minutes of sitting. mine wont start right the first time but it starts every time after that with multiple starts and stops. after it sits for 1/2 hour at + 40 it won't start good or after a long ride in the heat it won't start after a gas fill 10 min.
My symptoms were similar to that, but not exactly....when the bike was hot if it didn't re-start quickly it would need to cool off for a long while before it was able to get combustion. It would turn over, but no ignition. After cooling off it would fire right off. Then one day I stopped for gas (on a cool autumn morning), filled up, turned on the key and......nothing.....total dark. Put a new battery in it and it fired up immediately and would then start whether hot or cold, forever and ever, amen.

I think a hot engine might be harder to turn over, so the battery voltage slips below the threshold that the injectors work, so it would turn over, but not fire. Just speculation, but the new battery solved all my issues.

Hope you can figure it out......
(y)

·
Registered
2008 vstar 1100 classic canadian edition
582 Posts
i got the new battery, still intermittent start, i have been twisting throttle 2 than the bike starts right up, when it floods or doesnt start i crack the throttle a little and turn it over, it starts but you have to be quick to release the grip. i got 8 (winter) months to think about it, i like my bike but if something comes up for sale who knows.

·
Registered
'18 SVTC
1,048 Posts
i got the new battery, still intermittent start, i have been twisting throttle 2 than the bike starts right up, when it floods or doesnt start i crack the throttle a little and turn it over, it starts but you have to be quick to release the grip. i got 8 (winter) months to think about it, i like my bike but if something comes up for sale who knows.
Oops, by your above description I take it you are not fuel injected? If not, my story is not applicable to you all. Sorry about the attempted rabbit hole!

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
don't give it any throttle when starting you will wreck the starter clutch. you might think going with pods it might help with starting problems. hot restarting can be fuel overheated. check the idle is 950 to 1050 and check the tps setting is in range.

·
Registered
2015 Yamaha V Star 950
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I got a new battery and it fired up fine after I installed it. Then I stopped to get gas and it wouldn't start back up. It was juuuuust about there but just didn't have enough juice to get it going. What should be the next thing I check?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Did you get it restarted?
What did it take to do so?
Did the fuel pump cycle when you turned the key to run?
What did it do when you hit the start button?
Was the kill switch off? In neutral? Kick stand up?

·
Registered
2015 Yamaha V Star 950
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Did you get it restarted?
What did it take to do so?
Did the fuel pump cycle when you turned the key to run?
What did it do when you hit the start button?
Was the kill switch off? In neutral? Kick stand up?
I put in a new battery at an auto parts store and they said it was fully charged after testing it. I started up the bike fine after installation.

When I stopped for gas after about an hour of riding it, it wouldn't start. I turn the ignition on and all the lights cycle. I can hear the fuel pump go through its motions. When I push the start button, it starts to crank like it's almost going to turn over but just doesn't have enough power to do so. It's always in neutral with kickstand down but I've tried various combos {clutch in, kickstand up) and no change.

I took out my portable jump box, attached the cables to the battery and it starts up fine.

Before I stopped for gas, I stopped two other times where I turned off the bike and had it restart without using the jumper box. But those were short 15 min rides and those cranked a couple times before barely turning over. I didn't have the voltmeter on me to check any readings while on the ride.

·
Registered
2015 Yamaha V Star 950
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
When I tested the regulator/rectifier before, it maintained a voltage of 14.2 V or something like that so I think that's fine. But I haven't tested the stator yet. I've watched a few videos on that and can hopefully figure that out. Looks like I have to isolate the stator by disconnecting the regulator and then testing each of the pins in the socket?

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
if the stator was bad it wouldn't keep the battery charged. i think you charging system is fine. you must have a heat sink problem somewhere, when the bike is hot can you jump the start selonoid and get the starter to spin the motor over. or it might be easier to disconnect the starter and jump it direct. make sure your in neutral.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts