Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a used full face HJC CS Air helmet. Is this a snowmobile helmet or a motorcycle helmet. It sure is hot when I wear it but I do have to say that the temperature is really hot too.

·
Super Moderator
4,509 Posts
From what I read on HJC web site it's both. The big difference between motorcycle or snow is snow helmets have different shields. Meets DOT, so I think you are good to go.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
helmet color makes a difference, so does sitting behind a windshield on the bike.

Websites i looked at call it a street MC helmet.

My HJC RPHA carbon helmet has little vents on the top. Sometimes when I open them the air hitting my head feels like there are bugs crawling in my hair.

I know its just the air, but it still feels like bugs.... Its surprising how distracting that is.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I did see that the faceshield on the helmet is not doubled to reduce fogging. There is a face mask that can be fitted in the inside to divert breath way from the face shield so that is definitely for snowmobile use.

I bought the helmet because the way things are, i get a lot of buffeting at over 60 mph. It's so bad that it reduces my vision. The top edge of my windshield is about level to my eyes. Next steps will be to remove windshield and the try it about 2 inches lower.

·
Super Moderator
4,509 Posts
Most windshields can be tilted foward or backwards. I have my windshield tilted back and it eliminated most all baffling. Might need to adjust several time to find best tilt.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
Thanks for the info. I did see that the faceshield on the helmet is not doubled to reduce fogging. There is a face mask that can be fitted in the inside to divert breath way from the face shield so that is definitely for snowmobile use.

I bought the helmet because the way things are, i get a lot of buffeting at over 60 mph. It's so bad that it reduces my vision. The top edge of my windshield is about level to my eyes. Next steps will be to remove windshield and the try it about 2 inches lower.
Add some lower fork deflectors to your bike. I can almost guarantee that will stop 90-100% of your buffeting issues. It has on every bike I have ever recommended them for or installed them on. GL

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
Ditto on the fork deflectors - with just the nose level Memphis Shades "fats" windshield on my bike at 65mph I cannot read road signs.

Do not ride if your vision is blurred - its caused by your eyes jiggling like jello. Your brain is also being vibrated in your skull like your head is in a paint can shaker. You will get a head ache in minutes, because you are getting a self-induced concussion. Speed up, slow down, duck your head down or get off the highway, but dont ride like that.

I think if you cut the windshield down you will get the full wind blast into your helmet. That will stop the buffeting because your head is no longer in the turbulence, but the wind will try to blow your head off. I rode my bike with just the fork deflectors and it was like that at 75mph.

Another option would be to get a taller windshield that will throw the wind blast higher over your helmet. You will have to look thru the plastic then, and it will load up your engine more at speed (more resistance).

Everything is a tradeoff.

The best setup on my 650 is with the windshield raked all the way back, the fork deflectors up to where they overlap with the bottom of the WS, and angled out near flat, to match the curve of the windshield.

In that configuration the fork deflectors are extending the windshield down another foot.

BTW, I only put the windshield on my MC when I will be riding at 70mph+ or when the temperature is below 50F. I love the ride at 55mph with no windshield - putting it on the bike sucks the life out of it, and I get no airflow at all.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
KCW makes a good point, if your windshield is straight up and down you need to do the fork deflectors the same. If it is angled match the angle. I do not overlap mine, but I feel that is personal preference. I set mine up on the forks to just clear the highway bar.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
also need to make sure you dont put the fork deflectors down too low on the fork cover tube. I did and the mounting hardward hit the fender when the front shock was compressed all the way - nice scratch in my fender now.

I putzed around with the setup all last summer. Too far forward and it feels like you are riding a shoe box - in one configuration the backdraft from the windshiled was pulling exhaust up into my air-bubble at speed.

If you really want an aerodynamic bike you have to get a bat wing, or a faired sport tourning bike / gold wing.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you really want an aerodynamic bike you have to get a bat wing, or a faired sport tourning bike / gold wing.
I don't like the looks of bikes with bat wings. However, they are popular up here and I think the main reason is when the weather is cooler. I may have to add bat wings.
Early summer and fall, the temperatures at night are close to freezing and daytime temperatures are in the teens (celsius). Right now, we are having record high temperatures...the highest temperatures in Canada are in my region.

The idea of angling my windshield sounds good. Looks like I have a lot of experimenting to do.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts