• 6 months or longer

Votes: 3 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I try to ride every month as long as there is no snow and ice.So far this year has been every month. I hope 2012 will bring me the same.

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
I voted 3 months, but I don't count the times that I'll go out and start it up or take it for a ride up and down the street on the days when the roads are clear and dry. So even if I take it out twice per month during "hibernation", I don't consider it "riding".

·
Registered
552 Posts
I try to ride every month as long as there is no snow and ice.So far this year has been every month. I hope 2012 will bring me the same.
Well, except for last January as we got clobbered with record snow in CT all through the month.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I'm not complaining, but I live in Buffalo, NY, and I haven't touched a snow shovle yet this season.
But there sits my bike in the garage covered up with the battery in the basement on a charger.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Since the weather is so harsh here in SoCal, it really takes quite a man to gear up when it's 73 degrees in January, but I unleash my inner hairy beast and saddle up anyway. :)

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Here in my part of IN, I got mine under the cover with the tender hooked up, but keep the tire pressure up and ready to go. At different times we have a bit of good weather in winter with no rain, snow, ice and good enough temps to take a nice spin. So in answer to your poll, it varies a ton, bottom line, do not hibernate.:)

·
Registered
570 Posts
Depends...winter here in buffalo can go from Oct until the end of March/Early April....Lucky this year its only snowed once and it's already christmas lol.

·
Administrator
13,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here in my part of IN, I got mine under the cover with the tender hooked up. At different times we have a bit of good weather in winter with no rain, snow, ice and good enough temps to take a nice spin. So in answer to your poll, it varies a ton, bottom line, do not hibernate.:)
if you are having to 'store' your bike as you do because of the cold weather for extended periods of time, then i say it is hibernating. you should count up all the weeks together during the winter that your bike is 'stored' and that is your answer

·
Registered
69 Posts
My first 2 bikes used to "hibernate" in the basement from around early Dec. until early March, which is usually when the weather breaks and we get some early riding days. But now that I have a seperate garage I don't consider mine to be laid up in the normal sense. When they went in the basement usually the ground was froze, then I kept them there til we started getting a few good days. The biggest problem I had was getting them in and out thru the basement door. It's a pretty tight squeeze to get a Royal Star Venture thru a 36" door, but it can be done, I had to remove the reflectors on the saddlebag guards and they would still rub the door casing. About 3 years ago I was bringing the Venture out and when I rolled off the concrete apron the rear wheel sunk and it bottomed out on the frame due to the soft ground and the [email protected]&n moles working all winter. Now if it's above 40, (my personal temp setting), I just go jump on the Roadie and ride it out the 16ft door on the garage, no more "tight spots". Much nicer now to have a gravel drive to ride out on. Supposed to be in the mid-50's tomorrow, so I'll probably take a spin. BTW, I added my "down time" together and came up with about 3 months, so that's what I clicked.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Reading all of these posts I feel extremely cheated. I clicked the 6 month mark as mine goes in the shed about November and sometimes doesn't make it out until about April/May. Have already gotten about 12 inches of snow and then I have to wait until late spring for my lawn to harden and for some of the salt and gravel to come off of the road. I guess I need to move way down south! Lol!!

·
Registered
94 Posts
There wasnt a 5 days option, so i checked ride all year!!!! Even a few days ago we were down in the low 20's and i rode to work, only because its about a mile from home!!!

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Modifying my bike is the only thing that keeps me off the streets...otherwise it's all year ...nice mid 70's today and my bike looks like this....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts