Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Warmer weather is 6-8 weeks away and I have the money to do most of the maintenance that needs to be done on my Vstar1300.
I plan to do the front and rear brakes first: brake line / pads / rotor replacement / new fluid / master cylinder clean-rebuild if needed.

Are there any quirks I need to watch for? Reality vs. the service manual? (I have a torque wrench and all the other tools, and my motorcycle table lift is cleared off)

Next up will be the forks...
How difficult is it to replace the fork oil and replace the seals / dust caps? Is it better to let that go if the seals-caps are not showing any signs of seeping oil?

Anyway....thanks in advance for any warnings / tips.

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
thing to watch out for flushing brake fluid is to constantly check the reservoir

and no matter what do NOT pump the brake and suck in air to the master cylinder

on some brake systems you will have to take it all apart to prime it again

as long as you dont let it pump down empty its a 10 minute job

·
2,503 Posts
I had a leaking fork seal on my Nomad last summer and after reading up on it and watching a few videos I decided to try it myself. I know it's not the same bike but they are all essentially the same design and the procedure is similar. Overall, it didn't go too bad. I did have to make a tool to install the seals (some ABS pipe and muffler clamps) but it went pretty smoothly. I know the next time it will go much faster (as with any job). If you have some basic mechanical ability, you should be able to handle it. I suggest watching some videos to see what's involved and go from there. Another option might be to remove the forks and take them to a shop to have them do the seals. Half the labor costs would be taking the forks off the bike so you can save some money doing that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts