Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I started to notice every so often last year that the bike would start sputtering sometimes. Never could put any one thing to it and to make matters worse it would quit and not have trouble for weeks/months at a time. I chalked this up to bad gas, and it may still have been. I put new plugs in the bike in early summer. A month ago my wife and I spent over a week riding up to the great lakes and back, sometimes nothing happened and every now and then the bike would pop and cut out while riding. Again I thought maybe gas from a small country spot might be suspect.
Fast forward to this week and I have had all kinds of sputtering and popping while riding, I mean cutting out and surging at all speeds and gears. I have been running high rpm and low trying to find something that made sense. I pulled the wires thinking one wasn't pushed on and was causing trouble, nope. As I rode home yesterday from work I noticed that I was below a half tank and only at 45 miles! What the heck, I wasn't even hot rodding the bike because it was acting up. I pulled into Costco to go ahead and fill up, I only got 21 mpg where I am normally getting 38-45. I read somewhere on here that you could pull the brains off the bike and let it reset and learn how to map the fuel from scratch so I grabbed that sucker this morning and then plugged everything back in before I left this morning. So far so good, I rode around and took a detour through some side roads and then finally getting on the highway heading to work this morning. I didn't have one blip or stutter. Hopefully that fixed it but time will tell.

I don't know if anyone has a similar issue that they were able to fix but I wanted to put this out there. It may not even be specific to the liner but that is what I ride so I put it here.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I'm not sure on the 'liners exactly how everything is run under the tank. On the Road Stars there have been some folks that had the throttle cables rub on wires going to the coils causing a short. It sounds like disconnecting and resetting the ECM may have fixed your issues. Hopefully it was something that simple.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, back to square 1. The ride home from work proved that a reset doesn't actually fix this for me, after just a few minutes of riding it started acting up again. I will tear the bike down again and recheck stuff.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am not sure how I forgot that this had a fuelpak, today I went online and put my bike and parts in the build page for mapping and it spit out a set for me. I went and checked this against what the bike has in it and most of the settings were different. I wrote down all of the settings that were on the fuelpak before I changed anything and then set them to the combo that came off the build configurator. I might get out tonight still to ride or I will ride it tomorrow but either way I will see what happens.

I have been running seafoam off and on since last summer and a couple weeks ago I put a half a bottle of fuel injector cleaner in and ran the piss out of it on the highway. Thought for sure the bike would bellow smoke or backfire a lot, I didn't even notice it running different. This is my first bike with "brains", everything else was pure carb.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quick update. I was ready to tear everything down and start over tonight. I was setting on the ground staring at the bike before I did anything and I noticed a plug hanging out under the back footrest. Not sure how but the O2 sensor wasn't connected!

I plugged it back in, we'll see how that goes tomorrow.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts