Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I purchased a salvage title 04 1100 and it runs and drives fine but the neutral safety switch has to be bypassed and the sky blue wire grounded to the frame. I bought a new neutral switch from yamaha and put it in with zero luck. I need the neutral light to come off to pass the salvage inspection and it can only be ridden right now with it bypassed so the light stays on in every gear. I checked the side safety switch and ohmed it out to make sure it has continuity and I also tried another side stand switch from a wrecked vstar 1100 which made no difference at all. So to break it down the neutral stays on constantly and can be ridden no problem but in order to pass inspection the neutral light needs to come off and it needs to shut off when the stand is down in gear. I can get the neutral light to come go on in neutral and off in gear when the bike isn't started fully but as soon I fire it up and put it in gear the bike shuts off. I'll include a pic of how it has to be wired to run

Attachments

·
Registered
1982 XV1100,1989 XT600Z Tenere, 2008 F800ST
1,956 Posts
It could also be the clutch switch that has failed, probably. Not sure how the system works on the XVS, but Honda have also the "option" of the "brain" failing, even if the switches work fine. I just shorted the wires on the "brain" of my son's Honda so that it could be started and would run regardless of gears and stand and clutch position.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It could also be the clutch switch that has failed, probably. Not sure how the system works on the XVS, but Honda have also the "option" of the "brain" failing, even if the switches work fine. I just shorted the wires on the "brain" of my son's Honda so that it could be started and would run regardless of gears and stand and clutch position.
I'm not sure this would fly as I would be bypassing a safety and I need them all to work for inspection.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Hey everyone, I purchased a salvage title 04 1100 and it runs and drives fine but the neutral safety switch has to be bypassed and the sky blue wire grounded to the frame. I bought a new neutral switch from yamaha and put it in with zero luck. I need the neutral light to come off to pass the salvage inspection and it can only be ridden right now with it bypassed so the light stays on in every gear. I checked the side safety switch and ohmed it out to make sure it has continuity and I also tried another side stand switch from a wrecked vstar 1100 which made no difference at all. So to break it down the neutral stays on constantly and can be ridden no problem but in order to pass inspection the neutral light needs to come off and it needs to shut off when the stand is down in gear. I can get the neutral light to come go on in neutral and off in gear when the bike isn't started fully but as soon I fire it up and put it in gear the bike shuts off. I'll include a pic of how it has to be wired to run
I'm not familiar with electronics so this may be a stupid question but is your kickstand up or down when you put it in gear? If it's down it will shut off the engine when put in gear. At least I know it will on my 2009 950.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not familiar with electronics so this may be a stupid question but is your kickstand up or down when you put it in gear? If it's down it will shut off the engine when put in gear. At least I know it will on my 2009 950.
The kickstand is up, the bike seems to be thinking it's down though.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
The kickstand is up, the bike seems to be thinking it's down though.
I figured I'd ask, sometimes we all miss the simple until last. Sorry I don't know more about electronics. hopefully someone else here does. Good luck.

·
Registered
1982 XV1100,1989 XT600Z Tenere, 2008 F800ST
1,956 Posts
I'm not sure this would fly as I would be bypassing a safety and I need them all to work for inspection.
Are you sure? Not all bikes have these features, so as long as you remove them, you should be fine. Correction, I would be fine here in Norway. If we had mandatory inspections on motorcycles. Which we do not. We have on cars, though, where everything fitted must work, but if removed, you are OK.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are you sure? Not all bikes have these features, so as long as you remove them, you should be fine. Correction, I would be fine here in Norway. If we had mandatory inspections on motorcycles. Which we do not. We have on cars, though, where everything fitted must work, but if removed, you are OK.
Here in Canada we have to have the side stand safety switch and neutral safety switch working 100%, it's stupid but it won't pass inspection otherwise.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I jumped out the side stand switch and the bike wouldn't start at all. I'll grab a volt meter tonibht and check that 12volts is going to each switch tonight.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I unplugged the sidestand switch tonight and it starts up just fine now for some reason with the neutral switch plugged in, it still died immediately when put in gear.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
per the diagram in post 10, I would think a disconnected switch would be the same as kickstand down (open switch) so the bike would quit when put in gear. A jumpered switch simulates the kickstand up (closed switch) which is what it needs to see to stay running.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
per the diagram in post 10, I would think a disconnected switch would be the same as kickstand down (open switch) so the bike would quit when put in gear. A jumpered switch simulates the kickstand up (closed switch) which is what it needs to see to stay running.
I jumped the side stand switch and held the clutch in and it still turns off immediately when put in gear

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
by way of explanation, the side stand switch is the one safety that will kill the bike if the circuit opens (kickstand down) and in gear. The bike runs as long as a signal passes thru the closed switch (kickstand up) to ground. That is why I suspect a problem with the switch, wiring/power to the switch or ground path after the switch. I believe the combination of an open switch and gear selection (neutral switch) interrupts the ignition unit.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts