Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm a newer rider I have a Yamaha V star 650 classic 27,000 miles. First ride of the day the bike idles rough and rides slow and doesnt want to go past 50mph for the first few minutes. It's not until I really give it gas and go as fast as I can ride (50mph) then the bike speeds up to it's normal speed and acceleration 70+mph and rides perfect for the rest of the day. Is this just because it's a carbarted bike and takes time to warm up?

·
Premium Member
V Star 650 Classic
159 Posts
Hello, I'm a newer rider I have a Yamaha V star 650 classic 27,000 miles. First ride of the day the bike idles rough and rides slow and doesnt want to go past 50mph for the first few minutes. It's not until I really give it gas and go as fast as I can ride (50mph) then the bike speeds up to it's normal speed and acceleration 70+mph and rides perfect for the rest of the day. Is this just because it's a carbarted bike and takes time to warm up?
use the choke for 2 minutes then let it idle for another minute. I use the choke even if the temperature outside is 104f or higher otherwise it wont work right and in cold weather lets say 68f I increase the choke time by a minute or two.
you can tell it's ready if you give it a rev and it will sound and feel clear no hesitation with the choke off

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you worked perfect, sat outside for 5+ hours in cold weather and started up perfect. Do you turn the Petcock off after every ride or leave the fuel on and turn it off when your done riding for the day. When do you turn your petcock on and off?

·
Premium Member
V Star 650 Classic
159 Posts
Thank you worked perfect, sat outside for 5+ hours in cold weather and started up perfect. Do you turn the Petcock off after every ride or leave the fuel on and turn it off when your done riding for the day. When do you turn your petcock on and off?
np glad to hear it worked perfectly.
for the petcock I always keep it on unless when I know that I wont be able to ride for at least a week. make sure before starting the bike its in on position so the pump don't run dry happened to me many times

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is it normal for the bike to click two or three times before right starting up? Or should it have no hesitation and stat up right away

·
Premium Member
V Star 650 Classic
159 Posts
Is it normal for the bike to click two or three times before right starting up? Or should it have no hesitation and stat up right away
sorry I am not sure what do you mean by click. you mean there's an actual click from the engine? there should be only starter sound well maybe relay click but once if you mean it take a second or 2 to fire up mine takes between 10 seconds and instantly depends if the motor is cold it sure take all it time if it was worm just one second it fire right up

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for answering my questions I appreciate it I'm still just trying to get to know the bike. It's the relay click when clicking the start button on the bike. Starts up within 2 - 3 seconds every time its solid. How does your bike sound when you shift gears mine makes a lound clunk sound especially when going into first. But I can hear it when sifting up or down any gear but the bike runs great.

·
Premium Member
V Star 650 Classic
159 Posts
Thank you for answering my questions I appreciate it I'm still just trying to get to know the bike. It's the relay click when clicking the start button on the bike. Starts up within 2 - 3 seconds every time its solid. How does your bike sound when you shift gears mine makes a lound clunk sound especially when going into first. But I can hear it when sifting up or down any gear but the bike runs great.
np man :) I feel you when I got mine before 2 years till this day I get confused lol.
for the starting your bike is good for starting within 3 seconds mine take a while when its cold and for the shifting into the first I believe it's normal mine does too sometimes just to be safe check your oil, clutch cable tension and idle rpm.
one note however I noticed that the clunk appear when the idle is bit too high or the choke is on.
if you want me to shoot a video starting and shifting I can do that if you want

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is there any damage to the bike If the hike does idle high? Other then more fuel usage

·
Registered
2012 v star 1300 tourer
69 Posts
You can get rid of those long warm up times by adjusting the air fuel mixture screws. Sounds like you're running a little bit lean

1 - 11 of 11 Posts