Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... as some of you may remember. I mentioned about going on a bike trip with two of my brothers - on May 30-June 3. From The top of Skyline Drive down thru the Blue Ridge Parkway and then various secondary roads to the Tail of The Dragon and they make our way back to our respective homes. Well .... On the day we were all supposed to meet up, one brother had to back out to be a supportive husband, (mother-in-law on death's door & has since passed.) So the other brother & I still decided to go. I road 4.5hrs in the pouring rain at night to meet up at the hotel on the 30th.

Let me tell you something. I hate riding in the rain. I LOATHE riding in the rain at night!!!!

On the morning of the 31st, we overslept. Figures. Anyway, I run to Wally-World to get dry boots and some duct tape to fix the hole in my rain suit. Once we got that taken care of. We ride to Skyline Drive at northern entrance in Front Royal and pay the $20 entrance fee. What a cool road! Some great views. BTW, riding in fog is a bit more sphincter tightening on a bike then in a car. 56 miles into the ride. My fuel pump crapped out on me. And no one in a several hour radius had one in stock. GGGRRRRR!!!!

A 4.5 hour round trip to pick up the closest U-Haul, of which I rode on the bitch seat of my brother's bike for 75 miles or roughly 90 minutes. We load my bike into the truck. Strap her in, so she doesn't move or fall over. My brother & I say our goodbyes & flick each other the finger and head to our homes.

AND guess what it did the whole drive home? You got it. It rained!

·
Super Moderator
6,013 Posts
Sorry to hear all that happened to you. I also loathe riding in the rain, just feels like you can get dry again.
Glad at least you guys made it safely, despite the rain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
That sucks to have planned all that and then be hit with weather and mechanical failures.

On a more positive note, now's a good opportunity to toss the fuel pump and run without it. Most everyone it seems on the Clinic pages that have carbed bikes have removed the pump. Sounds like swapping out the needle and seat is about all that's needed to be purchased. Probably a whole lot cheaper than the cost of a new pump!

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That sucks to have planned all that and then be hit with weather and mechanical failures.

On a more positive note, now's a good opportunity to toss the fuel pump and run without it. Most everyone it seems on the Clinic pages that have carbed bikes have removed the pump. Sounds like swapping out the needle and seat is about all that's needed to be purchased. Probably a whole lot cheaper than the cost of a new pump!
That may be, as I have not looked into getting rid of it. However, I think this is a gremlin left over from the previous owner letting the bike sit for two years. I believe this is the original pump. So 29,000 miles is not that bad for an OEM. AND I have already ordered an OEM replacement. $133 plus free S&H.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
two things in my tool kit are a length of fuel line and two plug wire splicers, if the pump fails i can run a gravity line and if need be i can splice a plug wire to the coil, i think one of the reasons they put a fuel pump on mine was because the bottom of the tank is a little lower than the carb inlet so with a gravity line you might not be able to use all the fuel in the tank

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
I think if you bypassed the fuel pump and filled the tank up, it might run sorta ok for half a tank

you are right, the carbs are higher than the bottom of the tank, that is why we need a fuel pump. Maybe you could have done a Muldoon and got it running enough to get home... maybe.

I was into sailing for about 18 years, had two different boats. When I first started it was hard to adjust: the weekend comes and you want to sail on saturday, so I tow my boat to the marina, set it up and launch it, and there is no wind. I paddle out the inlet to the lake, catch a 2mph breeze for 10 minutes, and then there is no wind. I bob around for about an hour, jump in the water for a swim, paddle the boat all the way back in the inlet, and think "Wow! that was great!"

Next week I tow the boat to the marina, set it up and launch it, and the wind is blowing like its mad as hell at me personally. I whip across the water in the bay hanging on for my life, hoping the boat does not capsize, do that for an hour or so and get exhausted, take the boat home....

after about a summer of this I finally learned that you can only 'go sailing' when the wind is between 8 and 20 knots, which really cuts down on your opportunity for sailing - but when you can get on the water, its just pure joy.

I learned patience in those 18 years, and it carried over. No point in riding when the weather sucks and you are not enjoying it. Do something else, save that money, and next time you can go farther or ride longer or stay overnight in a hotel.

·
Super Moderator
4,474 Posts
Sounds like all your gremlins are gone. So replan and redo is in order. Had simular situation with my trip in March this year. Wife and I went on three day trip and morning we left it was 38 degrees. She hates the cold. So I layered her up and took off. She almost backed out of the trip but we went and had a great time. She has like five layers on. 😂

·
Registered
809 Posts
So... as some of you may remember. I mentioned about going on a bike trip with two of my brothers - on May 30-June 3. From The top of Skyline Drive down thru the Blue Ridge Parkway and then various secondary roads to the Tail of The Dragon and they make our way back to our respective homes. Well .... On the day we were all supposed to meet up, one brother had to back out to be a supportive husband, (mother-in-law on death's door & has since passed.) So the other brother & I still decided to go. I road 4.5hrs in the pouring rain at night to meet up at the hotel on the 30th.

Let me tell you something. I hate riding in the rain. I LOATHE riding in the rain at night!!!!

On the morning of the 31st, we overslept. Figures. Anyway, I run to Wally-World to get dry boots and some duct tape to fix the hole in my rain suit. Once we got that taken care of. We ride to Skyline Drive at northern entrance in Front Royal and pay the $20 entrance fee. What a cool road! Some great views. BTW, riding in fog is a bit more sphincter tightening on a bike then in a car. 56 miles into the ride. My fuel pump crapped out on me. And no one in a several hour radius had one in stock. GGGRRRRR!!!!

A 4.5 hour round trip to pick up the closest U-Haul, of which I rode on the bitch seat of my brother's bike for 75 miles or roughly 90 minutes. We load my bike into the truck. Strap her in, so she doesn't move or fall over. My brother & I say our goodbyes & flick each other the finger and head to our homes.

AND guess what it did the whole drive home? You got it. It rained!
"Geez......"....

·
Registered
809 Posts
Sorry to hear all that happened to you. I also loathe riding in the rain, just feels like you can get dry again.
Glad at least you guys made it safely, despite the rain.

Frog Toggs...not one drop touches you...and they breathe....tops and bottoms. You actually can ride in them as wind protection, going from sun to cover, from cover, to rain, from rain, to sunshine...the whole day...

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Frog Toggs...not one drop touches you...and they breathe....tops and bottoms. You actually can ride in them as wind protection, going from sun to cover, from cover, to rain, from rain, to sunshine...the whole day...
Just make sure your right pant's leg of your Frogg Toggs does not touch the exhausts. Otherwise, they will burn a hole right thru them. And they will become useless! Otherwise, they are great.

(Yes, this happened to me.)
(Yes, this was the same trip.)
(Yes, this trip was doomed from the get go.)

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
Is a fuel pump small enough to carry a spare in your bag?

Its one of those things that can fail at random, and give no indication that its about to quit on you.

·
Super Moderator
6,013 Posts
Ironically Joe I’m looking at some Frogg Toggs for our forums first annual Southeast Regional members rally at Maggie Valley in September. Prices on the internet are very reasonable.

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
Is a fuel pump small enough to carry a spare in your bag?....
Looked it up, OEM fuel pump is $160... Once you get significant miles on a bike it would not be a bad idea to get a new one, install it on the bike, then keep the old one for a spare.

esp if you are taking a long road trip - take it with you.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts