Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I recently bought an 07 Vstar 650 with around 7k miles and when I went to buy it the bike started perfectly but when I got home it had trouble staying running. The bike turns over and stays going with the choke fully out but it dies after 30 seconds or so. However if I start it up and instantly put it into gear and ride it around the neighborhood and come back after a short 2 min ride, it idles fine and doesnt die. Previous owner said they cleaned the carb but from everything I read it may be the carb idle jets. I turned up the idle speed but still have the same issue. Any help would be appreciated in order to fix this problem, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2011 Yamaha VStar 650
287 Posts
I had a similar issue with my bike last year when I bought it - it died at the side of the road on my way home. Turned out that the jets were plugged with jello. I managed to get my bike running again by removing the float bowls and then removing the jets and cleaning them. I also drained the gas from the tank and put fresh gas with SeaFoam in. By the time I had run the full tank through, the bike was running properly again.

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
...The bike turns over and stays going with the choke fully out but it dies after 30 seconds or so. ...

your bike is fine

to start the bike when its stone cold pull the choke out all the way and crank it with NO throttle twist

as soon as it fires push the choke in about halfway so it idles normally - then ride off

about 1/2 mile down the road push the choke in all the way

letting it sit there and idle with the choke all the way out you are flooding the engine

Reactions: Deeksvstarclassic

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
to all who have responded, thank you for the input. However as soon as i push the choke in it dies instantly. I am going to clean the jets and see what happens

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
7,652 Posts
Look at the PSM screws and passages for clogs. When you clean the pilot jets don't forget the small holes on the sides. Are you sure the idle is set high enough? The PSM screws and pilot jets control idle and slightly off idle.

Pilot jet side holes, a wire from bread tie is right size to clean.

·
Registered
2011 Yamaha VStar 650
287 Posts
to all who have responded, thank you for the input. However as soon as i push the choke in it dies instantly. I am going to clean the jets and see what happens
Take care with the Phillips head screws in the float bowl covers - the heads strip super easy. I replaced all of mine with cap head screws when I had the covers off for a second time. Also, make sure to get all of the small holes around the sides of the jets cleaned - I used a small gauge piece of wire to poke through each hole.

·
Registered
2011 Yamaha VStar 650
287 Posts

·
7,652 Posts

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
If the bike is running well and its only the start up that is balky, go get a can of Seafoam from walmart or an auto parts store, and put 4 ounces in your full tank

run that thru the engine - as long as the engine is running the cleaner can flush thru the carbs and do its thing

that is $8 and WAY less trouble that taking the carbs apart - its worth a try....

Reactions: stratsurvivor

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If the bike is running well and its only the start up that is balky, go get a can of Seafoam from walmart or an auto parts store, and put 4 ounces in your full tank

run that thru the engine - as long as the engine is running the cleaner can flush thru the carbs and do its thing

that is $8 and WAY less trouble that taking the carbs apart - its worth a try....
How long would it take for the sea foam to do its thing? Because the bike may not be on long enough to work but I don’t know a lot so I may be wrong. Thanks for all the help I appreciate it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Take care with the Phillips head screws in the float bowl covers - the heads strip super easy. I replaced all of mine with cap head screws when I had the covers off for a second time. Also, make sure to get all of the small holes around the sides of the jets cleaned - I used a small gauge piece of wire to poke through each hole.
Sadly the screws are already stripped (not from my doing). I will be replacing them with Allen head screws. Thank you for all the help.

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
if there is a little goo in the carbs Seafoam might dissolve it just from sitting overnight

you will have to ride the bike at least a mile to get the treated gas thru the filter, hoses, fuel pump, and to refill the float bowls (Ive tested this a few times on my 650 by mistake... left the petcock off)

but riding the bike and riding it hard will flush more fuel thru the carbs - it might take a couple days... 100 miles, before it opens up.

Reactions: stratsurvivor

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Sadly the screws are already stripped (not from my doing). I will be replacing them with Allen head screws. Thank you for all the help.
The screws strip out because they are not regular philips head they are JIS screws. A special japan import screw that they have special screw drivers for. (And Les taught me that one)

·
7,652 Posts
Glad you got it going. We like happy endings.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
FYI the screws are not phillips heads they are JIS which is a japaneese industrial screw that has its own JIS screw driver. I learned that the hard way by stripping screws.
sorry i didn't know i already said this earlier.Memory is the second thing to go

·
Registered
536 Posts
The factory tool set has the JIS bit with it. But the tool itself is pretty crappy. I bought a JIS set off of Amazon a few years ago and anytime I have to dismantle anything with those heads I replace them with better stuff.
We have a local company called Bolts Plus that can get almost anything for screws, nuts and bolts.
Just remember if you are looking at the part numbers on partzilla that you can tell the bolt, screw or nut size from the part number itself.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts