Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a complete set of Grebing heated riding gear:), which I love
My problem is after riding my bike will not start up.

Is anyone esle having this problem??

I have a 2009 1100 v-star

·
Registered
93 Posts
You are going to have to give us more.
Not start as in no crank at all? or crank, no start?
Are the fuses OK? Maybe over loaded the system. If the battery is dead, charge it, start it and check to make sure the charging system is still good.

Might be a coincidence.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It act like the battery in dead. I have to use a battery trender to restart. After I recharge it wil start

·
Registered
93 Posts
Sounds like the charging system is an issue.

Start it a check the voltage at about 2500 rpm. It should be around 13.8-14.2 volts. If that is ok then switch the meter to read a/c volts and check it again. If it reads more than .5 or so you have blown a diode in the regulator. If it is not up to d/c volts them you are in for some work...

·
Registered
93 Posts
I added up the amps for my gear, & it totals 13.4 does that help
13.4 on top of all the bike electronics is a little high, but not excessive. Go ahead and do the tests as the extra amperage could have stressed the charging system if it was in borderline condition.

A quick test for that is, right after getting home from riding, shut it off an restart right away. If it won't start then, you either have a bad battery, or a bad charging system. If it is ok then but is dead after o/night, then you probably have a bad diode in the regulater (1/2 wave rectifier) and it is draining the battery.

As far as the battery, charge it good, then remove the charger and start the bike. Turn it off with the kill switch, not the key so the lights remain on. Now walk away. Come back in 15-20 minutes and see if it starts. If it does not, replace the battery.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Generator

Cattwi,

Gary is right. I might add. Our generators are rated 32 Amps at 5,000 RPM. At lower RPM that number goes down. So at 2,500 RPM it is likely you only have half this available. The stock lights and the engine pull somewhere aournd 8 to 10 amps. You may be useing more power than your generator is making. Discharging your battery as you ride.

So don't try to use to many accessories. If you have passing lamps turn them off when using heated cloths for example. Try to keep your engine speed up. Don't try to ride at a slow engine speed. Use a gear that keeps the RPM up a little.

Be sure the battery is nearly charged when making the checks Gary talked about. You might also try checking same with your cloths plugged in.

Dave

·
Registered
1,530 Posts

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts