Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Alright guys so the issue has been FIXED! Took the carbs out today and did a light cleaning and all I took off were the floats, didn't take any jets off. Blew air through them and carb cleaner and put back in. Through this process I found multiple clamps not tightened around the carbs and air system. I also put in a new fuel filter as well.

So I don't know exactly which one of those were the root cause but it's running 100% better and I have a full powerband and it goes to 90 without problems :)

Now to make some custom brackets for new LED turn signals on the front! I got lucky and it's a 2 wire turn signal that's LED and doesn't need diodes.

Anyways....thank you to everyone that has posted their advice and helped me get this fixed!! Much appreciated!!

·
Registered
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring, '81 XS650SH Project
576 Posts
Happy ending are always a wonderous thing, here lately they seem to be even more important. Congratulations @Bugyt !

·
Registered
2011 Yamaha VStar 650
324 Posts
Congrats on getting her running right @Bugyt

·
Registered
567 Posts
Well done... you now have the expertise to help others with the same problem. Did you check the carb sync when finished?

·
Registered
222 Posts
It is a stock airbox but wouldn't the rejetting fix the backfiring? If not then how do I fix the backfiring?
back firing on decel is usually running too lean.. and that's on the lower 1/4 to idle throttle, that's the PMS screws.. try backing them out 1/4 turn. That will rich up the idle mix... ( the jets are more from half throttle up to wot..) Right Les?

(I had the same issue with my hypercharger)

Reactions: lesblank

·
Registered
222 Posts
Oops, didn't catch the "tightened everything up"post. I'll bet you had a vacuum/air leak that was making it lean... glad you got her going!

Reactions: faffi and lesblank

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
7,990 Posts
back firing on decel is usually running too lean.. and that's on the lower 1/4 to idle throttle, that's the PMS screws.. try backing them out 1/4 turn. That will rich up the idle mix... ( the jets are more from half throttle up to wot..) Right Les?

(I had the same issue with my hypercharger)
You are correct. Doesn't take much of a turn to make a make a big difference.

Reactions: compjan and faffi
41 - 47 of 47 Posts